bhashmi9

What happens if you work while waiting for your EAD? What is the timeline for Chicago Lockbox EAD processing?

23 posts in this topic

It used to be if you got an RFE then you EAD/AP would be delayed until the RFE was responded to.   

Working without authorization will be forgiven.  The company that hired you, however, could be in a load of trouble. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Venezuela
Timeline
1 hour ago, NikLR said:

Working without authorization will be forgiven.  The company that hired you, however, could be in a load of trouble. 

I've heard this before several times, but I'm curious, is there a statute or government website that states that it is forgiven? I'm just wondering since I've heard but never seen the source. Thanks!

K-1

Spoiler

4/20/16: Application Mailed

4/26/16: NOA1 (Hard Copy Received: 4/30/16)

7/11/16: NOA2 (Hard Copy Received: 7/14/16)

7/28/16: NVC Case# Received!

9/27/16: Interview (APPROVED)

10/28/16: POE

11/26/16: Wedding

AOS

Spoiler

12/9/16: Package Delivered to Chicago

12/14/16: Check Cashed

12/15/17: NOA1 (All cases)

1/13/17: Biometrics Appointment

1/20/17: Status Changed (I485): Ready to schedule Interview

3/10/17: Service Request (I765) by phone (91 days)

3/10/17: EAD Approved ("New Card is Being Produced")

3/16/17: Received EAD/AP Approval notices in mail

3/21/17: EAD Status Changed: "Card has been mailed to me"

3/21/17: EAD/AP Combo Card received in the mail (102 days) (YAYYYY)

9/13/17: Date of Interview (Approved!)

9/13/17: Status changed to Card in production

9/14/17: Status changed to Case Approved

9/19/17: Green Card in Hand :D

ROC
Spoiler
5/15/19: NOA: Received reminder letter to file from USCIS
6/20/19: Mailed Package to USCIS PO BOX AZ
6/22/19: Package Delivered (signed for by USCIS)
6/26/19: NOA1 (hard copy received 6/28/19)
6/27/19: Check Cashed, text/email received to expect receipt. 
6/28/19: Hard Copy NOA1 Received (California Svs Center)
1/15/20: Biometrics taken
4/16/20: Case Approved
4/22/20: green card in hand 😄

I believe the USCIS manual.  I recall reading but dont remember where. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

yes, working without authorization is forgiven.. but never claim to be a usc.

however, i dont advise this.. i know people that have worked unauthorized and had no problems getting a gc (paid taxes and all) 

Edited by caliliving

8 hours ago, aaron2020 said:

An ITIN does not come with work authorization, so it's not okay.  

Asked him to refer to links, unsure ,,, i.e. work and would or would not pay taxes .... a possible back ground check IRS / USCIS as new number being used for first time by employer.

He has resigned, so all good. A reason for support statement and to have cash in bank - this process is expensive and costs a lot of time, money and emotional stress.

11 hours ago, NikLR said:

It used to be if you got an RFE then you EAD/AP would be delayed until the RFE was responded to.   

Well, it's not "forgiven". It's just not used against you. If the AOS is denied but you still had a valid visa to stay in the US, they could still take action based on the unauthorized work.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

20 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Well, it's not "forgiven". It's just not used against you. If the AOS is denied but you still had a valid visa to stay in the US, they could still take action based on the unauthorized work.

Same for overstay.... 

Both are forgiven, aka you're not charged with, for a successful AOS for a spouse of a USC. 

Edited by NikLR

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.