20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

On 1/5/2017 at 3:39 PM, nativeson said:

You don't need to worry about the interview documents yet, just use the list here when you send the I-130 to USCIS. For Japan the koseki tohon will suffice for spouse birth record, proof of marriage and birth record of children. There are some templates here for translation, they don't need to be notarized or anything. You'll get notification of any other documents required later in the process.

Hey nativeson.  Just a couple of things that have come up while going through all of this.
a)  Regarding the template for the Family Register Translation, are you simply supposed to circle 'marriage' where it says "marriage/divorce"?  Also, was there a lot left blank?

b)  It might seem stupid, but did you see anything about the format to use for dates?  Did you just use m/d/yyyy or did you spell it out Jan. 1, 2017?  Maybe I'm just excessively sensitive when it comes to documentation after living here for so long...

Timeline

a)  Regarding the template for the Family Register Translation, are you simply supposed to circle 'marriage' where it says "marriage/divorce"?  Also, was there a lot left blank?

Yes, circle it or delete the Divorce part. There shouldn't be a lot left blank except the part for children (if you don't have any). 

b)  It might seem stupid, but did you see anything about the format to use for dates?

I used mm/dd/yyyy

• 2 months later...
Timeline
On 1/16/2017 at 10:57 AM, nativeson said:

Yes, circle it or delete the Divorce part. There shouldn't be a lot left blank except the part for children (if you don't have any). 

I used mm/dd/yyyy

Hello again!  It's been three months and I'm getting back to the visa application...

nativeson, for the koseki tohon/Translationg of Family Register Certificate, I'm trying to figure out what to put for the 2 fields under Marriage/Divorce marked [Date Notification Received] and [Accepted By].  These fields don't appear on the original, it seems.

Also, the fields that have been left blank are everything below the first Other Relevant Information field on the translation certificate (Person Registered, Personal Data Birth, Other Relevant Information) as these seem to be unnecessary repeats of the fields listed above.  Did you end up leaving the lower half blank, as well?

Have you heard anything from USCIS recently about your spouse's visa?  It's been quite some time, hasn't it?

Timeline
15 hours ago, ItchyKneeSon said:

Hello again!  It's been three months and I'm getting back to the visa application...

nativeson, for the koseki tohon/Translationg of Family Register Certificate, I'm trying to figure out what to put for the 2 fields under Marriage/Divorce marked [Date Notification Received] and [Accepted By].  These fields don't appear on the original, it seems.

Also, the fields that have been left blank are everything below the first Other Relevant Information field on the translation certificate (Person Registered, Personal Data Birth, Other Relevant Information) as these seem to be unnecessary repeats of the fields listed above.  Did you end up leaving the lower half blank, as well?

Have you heard anything from USCIS recently about your spouse's visa?  It's been quite some time, hasn't it?

If it wasn't on the original I didn't put it on the translation. They just want evidence of marriage so whatever is on the koseki tohon should be sufficient - that is proof of marriage according to the Japanese government. We have a child so our translation may be a little 'fuller' than yours. I haven't heard anything yet but Nebraska is starting to approve I-130s from the week before my priority date. If I get any RFEs that could affect other Japan filers I'll post it up here, but I don't get the impression Japan is too difficult. Actually I just noticed I put the 氏変更日 into the Acceptance Field by accident, hopefully they won't notice. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, nativeson said:

If it wasn't on the original I didn't put it on the translation. They just want evidence of marriage so whatever is on the koseki tohon should be sufficient - that is proof of marriage according to the Japanese government. We have a child so our translation may be a little 'fuller' than yours. I haven't heard anything yet but Nebraska is starting to approve I-130s from the week before my priority date. If I get any RFEs that could affect other Japan filers I'll post it up here, but I don't get the impression Japan is too difficult. Actually I just noticed I put the 氏変更日 into the Acceptance Field by accident, hopefully they won't notice. 

Thanks for the quick response.

Ah, I see.  We don't have kids so that's one less thing to report.  That should be of benefit in your case, though.  I hope they overlook the misplaced info and everything goes smoothly.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.