Stephen Spencer

Commissionaires Emailed-PDF Enough for Police Certificate?

37 posts in this topic

On 1/6/2017 at 11:29 AM, Stephen Spencer said:

Thank you everybody for your input. 
As it turns out, I emailed Commissionaires Ottawa and they responded promptly: they are going to send me a more official version of the certificate, with a dry seal and signed by a police chief. I think that will do the trick. 
Phew! 

Hello Again! Any update if the name-based search you did with the Commissionaires was acceptable? Did they ask for fingerprints? Please let me know as I am in the same boat. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, deepakchani said:

Hello Again! Any update if the name-based search you did with the Commissionaires was acceptable? Did they ask for fingerprints? Please let me know as I am in the same boat. 

Yes, the name-based search with Commissionaires is perfectly acceptable for K1. If worked for me and I received my K1 in February. However, you must ask them to send you a hard copy with a dry seal (do not use the PDF version they send you)

Just now, Stephen Spencer said:

Yes, the name-based search with Commissionaires is perfectly acceptable for K1. If worked for me and I received my K1 in February. However, you must ask them to send you a hard copy with a dry seal (do not use the PDF version they send you)

Thanks!

Timeline

I'll also add that I did mine with the local police department in Winnipeg, and it was a one-page document with a seal, fingerprints not required. Covered a Canadawide records check.

Glad to hear you were able to have them send a copy!

AOS from K1 Timeline:

Spoiler

10/25/2017 -Mailed AOS packet including I-485, I-765, I-131 via USPS
10/27/2017 -Packet arrived at USCIS Chicago Lockbox

11/01/2017 -Priority Date
11/02/2017 -SMS Confirmation
11/06/2017 -NOA I-797 received for all 3

12/01/2017 -Went to scheduled biometrics appt
01/09/2018 -Receipt available online: AoS finally updated, EAD/AP still getting "Case number invalid" 

01/09/2018 - AoS is marked ready for interview to be scheduled. waiting for date.

02/02/2018 -Receive Paper approval notices for EAD/AP. Day 94. Receipt numbers FINALLY updated from invalid to approved lol.

02/07/2018 - Receive EAD/AP combo card in the mail. Day 99

30/07/2018 - Received notice of appointment for AoS interview scheduled 9/12

12/9/2018 - Had AoS interview and was approved! Day 320

On 7/18/2017 at 1:21 AM, LittleLeaf said:

I'll also add that I did mine with the local police department in Winnipeg, and it was a one-page document with a seal, fingerprints not required. Covered a Canadawide records check.

Glad to hear you were able to have them send a copy!

I am curious how long did it take for you to get your one from the Winnipeg Police? My sister said hers took forever when she applied for a job that needed it. I just went to my local RCMP detachment in the town I work in southwest of Winnipeg and they told me I should get it in a week. We will see if I do next week. They also did just a name check. The lady doubted mine would come back needing fingerprints due to my very unique middle name. *crosses fingers*

Timeline
5 hours ago, pajobra said:

I am curious how long did it take for you to get your one from the Winnipeg Police? My sister said hers took forever when she applied for a job that needed it. I just went to my local RCMP detachment in the town I work in southwest of Winnipeg and they told me I should get it in a week. We will see if I do next week. They also did just a name check. The lady doubted mine would come back needing fingerprints due to my very unique middle name. *crosses fingers*

It took 8 weeks. Applied for it May 4th and got it June 30th. The RCMP def sounds more efficient, but I had already paid $45 bucks for it, figured Id wait it out.Got it just in time (interview was on July 5th). Sounds like everywhere else in Canada is quicker lol.

AOS from K1 Timeline:

Spoiler

01/09/2018 -Receipt available online: AoS finally updated, EAD/AP still getting "Case number invalid" 

01/09/2018 - AoS is marked ready for interview to be scheduled. waiting for date.

02/02/2018 -Receive Paper approval notices for EAD/AP. Day 94. Receipt numbers FINALLY updated from invalid to approved lol.

Just now, LittleLeaf said:

It took 8 weeks. Applied for it May 4th and got it June 30th. The RCMP def sounds more efficient, but I had already paid $45 bucks for it, figured Id wait it out.Got it just in time (interview was on July 5th). Sounds like everywhere else in Canada is quicker lol.

lol Wow yeah my sister said it was slow in Winnipeg. The detachment in the town I work in said that they are usually a week sometimes less because they don't do as many of them. In fact the lady wasn't even sure how much I would have to pay. I kinda looked at her like uh ok cause she said I pay when I come to pick it up which I thought was weird. If I don't hear from them by the end of next week I will probably go in again and ask one of the rcmp officers themselves since their receptionist seemed a bit out to lunch so to speak. LOL I don't have my NOA2 as of yet 125 days and counting but I wanted to get it done before hand just in case it took a while. lol

On 7/19/2017 at 10:59 PM, pajobra said:

lol Wow yeah my sister said it was slow in Winnipeg. The detachment in the town I work in said that they are usually a week sometimes less because they don't do as many of them. In fact the lady wasn't even sure how much I would have to pay. I kinda looked at her like uh ok cause she said I pay when I come to pick it up which I thought was weird. If I don't hear from them by the end of next week I will probably go in again and ask one of the rcmp officers themselves since their receptionist seemed a bit out to lunch so to speak. LOL I don't have my NOA2 as of yet 125 days and counting but I wanted to get it done before hand just in case it took a while. lol

Have to confirm. Also from Winnipeg.

Took 7 weeks to the day. Paid $45 downtown. Literally was the form I had filled out sent back to me with a sticker on it and some confirmations. All of that waiting for THAT? Crazy. I'm so glad I went to get it long before I received Packet 3, because a 2 month wait is a bit much for a sticker.

The same police check is done through registered businesses almost instantly... takes a few days.... but since this is for immigration, it takes a lot longer to get that hard copy back.

4 minutes ago, Peot said:

Have to confirm. Also from Winnipeg.

Took 7 weeks to the day. Paid $45 downtown. Literally was the form I had filled out sent back to me with a sticker on it and some confirmations. All of that waiting for THAT? Crazy. I'm so glad I went to get it long before I received Packet 3, because a 2 month wait is a bit much for a sticker.

The same police check is done through registered businesses almost instantly... takes a few days.... but since this is for immigration, it takes a lot longer to get that hard copy back.

My brothers check with winnipeg police for work took 3 months but he is a social worker so that was expected. RCMP said its quicker in the country because less are done. LOL The receptionist told me that they only do maybe one or two every few months there. LOL

Just now, pajobra said:

My brothers check with winnipeg police for work took 3 months but he is a social worker so that was expected. RCMP said its quicker in the country because less are done. LOL The receptionist told me that they only do maybe one or two every few months there. LOL

Yeah, you have to do "vulnerable sector" check when you're a social worker, so that takes longer.

Interesting for the Winnipeg checks too though... their website clearly says that all record check applicants need to go downtown for record checking, but I know for a fact you can still do them at any service center for much much quicker. I did a record check for a job of mine recently and it took about 2-3 days.

For immigration purposes though, probably you do have to go downtown to get them done just to be safe. Again, this took 7 months which I was completely blown away by. Did mine way back in April long before I got Packet 3.

For those using RCMP in the country, I can imagine that it's a lot faster either way!

1 minute ago, Peot said:

Yeah, you have to do "vulnerable sector" check when you're a social worker, so that takes longer.

Interesting for the Winnipeg checks too though... their website clearly says that all record check applicants need to go downtown for record checking, but I know for a fact you can still do them at any service center for much much quicker. I did a record check for a job of mine recently and it took about 2-3 days.

For immigration purposes though, probably you do have to go downtown to get them done just to be safe. Again, this took 7 months which I was completely blown away by. Did mine way back in April long before I got Packet 3.

For those using RCMP in the country, I can imagine that it's a lot faster either way!

Yeah I am glad I moved back out to the country for a job. I was living in Winnipeg just over 2 years ago. LOL

Just now, pajobra said:

Yeah I am glad I moved back out to the country for a job. I was living in Winnipeg just over 2 years ago. LOL

Well I wonder if that matters? I mean we're all from the province / country. RCMP should be able to help ANYONE with this kind of application. I can't see them turning someone away because they live in Winnipeg.

The check that Winnipeg Police do is with the RCMP records in any case!

If I were pressed for time getting that record check, I would advise anyone to at least go down to a local branch of the RCMP and ask!

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I went to the "community resource center" which is a police station near me.

They did a police check in under 15 mins and I walked out with the paper with the stamp/seal.

But literally all it states on the police certificate is something along these lines:

:MBC_sample_certificate.jpg

Is that sufficient?

Edited by Orit.d

K1 Visa                                                                                                                AOS                                                                                ROC

Feb 23/17 -  NOA1  ··· July  07/17 - NOA2                                                      Nov 14/17 Mailed I-485/I-131/I-765                         Jan 26/20 Mailed I-751 

Aug 07/17 -  at NVC ···  Aug 09/17 -  Case # Assigned                                Nov 16 & 20/17 - NOA's                                              Jan 30/20 - NOA

Aug 10/17 - Consulate Rec ···  Aug 12+14/17 - Packet 3/4                        Dec 20/18 Biometrics Appt                                     Mar 02/20 Biometrics Appt 

Aug 28/17 - Medical ···  Sep 27/17 - Interview Approved!                           Jan 25/18 - EAD/AP Approved                                 Oct 14/20 New Card Being Produced Approved!   

Oct 02/17 - Visa In Hand ···  Oct 22/17 -  POE · Peace Bridge                     Feb 01/18 - EAD/AP Card Received                         Oct 21/20 - New Card Received

Nov 01/17 - Married!                                                                                           Mar 13/18 - AOS Interview Approved!                     ??? ??/21 - ...N400?

Mar 21/18 -  Green Card Received

Timeline

@Orit.d That is almost exactly what mine was. On the back was a form I had filled out with my details and the reason why I was submitting. As long as it has your name, the result and the seal you should be good to go. :) 

And yes, for others perusing this thread, I'd definitely check with the RCMP before you commit to the police if there's a long wait like in Winnipeg.

Edited by LittleLeaf

AOS from K1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
18 hours ago, LittleLeaf said:

@Orit.d That is almost exactly what mine was. On the back was a form I had filled out with my details and the reason why I was submitting. As long as it has your name, the result and the seal you should be good to go. :) 

And yes, for others perusing this thread, I'd definitely check with the RCMP before you commit to the police if there's a long wait like in Winnipeg.

Thank you! :D 

K1 Visa                                                                                                                AOS                                                                                ROC

Feb 23/17 -  NOA1  ··· July  07/17 - NOA2                                                      Nov 14/17 Mailed I-485/I-131/I-765                         Jan 26/20 Mailed I-751 

Aug 07/17 -  at NVC ···  Aug 09/17 -  Case # Assigned                                Nov 16 & 20/17 - NOA's                                              Jan 30/20 - NOA

Aug 10/17 - Consulate Rec ···  Aug 12+14/17 - Packet 3/4                        Dec 20/18 Biometrics Appt                                     Mar 02/20 Biometrics Appt 

Aug 28/17 - Medical ···  Sep 27/17 - Interview Approved!                           Jan 25/18 - EAD/AP Approved                                 Oct 14/20 New Card Being Produced Approved!   

Oct 02/17 - Visa In Hand ···  Oct 22/17 -  POE · Peace Bridge                     Feb 01/18 - EAD/AP Card Received                         Oct 21/20 - New Card Received

Nov 01/17 - Married!                                                                                           Mar 13/18 - AOS Interview Approved!                     ??? ??/21 - ...N400?

Mar 21/18 -  Green Card Received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.