Brandonfigueiredo

Income requirement for dependent

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline
On 1/21/2017 at 11:01 PM, Ash.1101 said:

Some consulates want the 125% of the poverty guidelines. Check out your consulate. Note that finances are also up to the discretion of the person doing the interview, while you may technically meet the requirements they CAN ask for more proof/more cosponsors if they feel they need more insurance that the foreign fiance won't become a burden in the states. I've experienced this personally through Montreal, which is a low fraud fairly easy consulate, it CAN happen. We ended up giving Montreal three I-134's and proofs.  It's rare, but know it exists.

With that said, this is the actual form they use to determine the lines.  https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/ilink/docView/SLB/DATAOBJECTS/I_864P.pdf

It's ALWAYS best to plan to try to meet the 125%, then you know you're most likely going to be fine. If you don't meet the 125% it's also best to plan to use a cosponsor, start these conversations with people you may want to cosponsor as when you AOS if you didn't meet the 125% for the K-1 visa, you most likely won't meet the 125% for Adjustment of Status.

NORMALLY though, most people don't have many issues at the K-1 stage, it's the AOS stage that there's more issues because K-1 stage there's traditionally a bit more lenancy to income, but AOS it's you meet the requirement completely or you get a cosponsor, no if's and's or but's. So it's best to treat the financial portion of K-1, as if you were AOSing.

Agree totally with Ash.1101.

You should be fine if you are NOW meeting the 125%, even if you weren't in the past. Just make sure to prove it (6 months pay stubs or bank statements, letter from employer stating salary, etc.). Aim to prove the 125% from the beginning, even for the K-1 interview, much easier that way  to avoid bad surprises. You'll have enough of that evidence by the time you have to provide it for the embassy interview.

Timeline
On 1/3/2017 at 10:44 AM, Brandonfigueiredo said:

And does this get sent with the k1 visa packet? Or do I complete this once I get approved?

The I-134 with the evidence has to be brought along to the embassy interview

31 minutes ago, iJapanesey said:

Crazy to see how many people actually barely meet requirements. This is a huge step in life. Man up!!:)

how is he not "maning up"? Also, not meeting or barely meeting the requirements right now doesn't mean anything on itself. 

i am returning to the USA with my fiancé thru K1 visa.(if approved) I am a school teacher of 15 years in the USA and the last 3 years in Indonesia. My salary when i left usa was approx. $65,000.  

So on return i will be unemployed and looking for a teaching job.  

Q: how will this affect my perceive ability to support my fiance?  And, how do I address this issue?

THANKS

Edited by TC03

Timeline
46 minutes ago, TC03 said:

i am returning to the USA with my fiancé thru K1 visa.(if approved) I am a school teacher of 15 years in the USA and the last 3 years in Indonesia. My salary when i left usa was approx. $65,000.  

So on return i will be unemployed and looking for a teaching job.  

Q: how will this affect my perceive ability to support my fiance?  And, how do I address this issue?

THANKS

Even if in the past you were making a lot of money, you need to provide evidence that you are currently making enough to support your fiance. If you don't have a job with a steady income and proof of it, you'll need a co-sponsor (assuming your embassy allows them for the K-1). It won't be accepted that you used to make enough or that you could make enough.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.