Farz

Travelling on a tourist visa

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Just now, Farz said:

Thanks millefleur..

I think the biggest thing is to not make it look like you're planning to move to the US and adjust status. So have your return ticket, pack your bags really light, don't bring any kind of incriminating evidence which might make it look like you are there to stay.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

5 minutes ago, millefleur said:

I think the biggest thing is to not make it look like you're planning to move to the US and adjust status. So have your return ticket, pack your bags really light, don't bring any kind of incriminating evidence which might make it look like you are there to stay.

Ok. Thanks.

You are just fine.  Usually if you seek for a visa once an immigration case is filed, it gets almost impossible.  Just make sure you don't speak something unnecessary during Point of Entry if you are asked reasons for Your visit.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
19 hours ago, Farz said:

Hi

What what CBP ask you while you cross the border?? 

They usually ask what's the purpose of my visit, where do i live, what do i do for a living, sometimes i even get my car checked in the x-ray machine.  Yesterday i crossed the border, the CBP agent scanned my B1/B2/Border Crossing Card, asked me some standard questions, he then asked me if  i was married, told him about my wife being a US citizen, he told me i should become a US resident, told him we where already on the CR1 route, he replied "oh nice",  and i crossed the border.    

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/2/2017 at 0:36 AM, mallafri76 said:

I visited my husband several times during our relationship, including during the visa process, and didn't have any issues. Make sure to bring plenty of ties to your home country, like mortgage deed/rental agreement, letter from your employer etc. if you look at the top of this forum, there's a sticky about visiting during the visa process.

Hi!! Iam planning to come to USa while my immigrant visa is pending.. my cousin lives in chicago and my husband lives in sacramento, iam planning to live in chicago for a week than go to sacramento, so if the cbp ask me what is the purpose of my visit? What shall i say?? Vacation or visiting husband??

35 minutes ago, Farz said:

Hi!! Iam planning to come to USa while my immigrant visa is pending.. my cousin lives in chicago and my husband lives in sacramento, iam planning to live in chicago for a week than go to sacramento, so if the cbp ask me what is the purpose of my visit? What shall i say?? Vacation or visiting husband??

You say the truth. Never lie or try to hide any information from an officer if asked. 

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

1 minute ago, NuestraUnion said:

You say the truth. Never lie or try to hide any information from an officer if asked. 

Can i travel on a tourist visa, when my immigrant visa is pending??

22 minutes ago, Farz said:

Can i travel on a tourist visa, when my immigrant visa is pending??

Yes, of course,

There is a huge thread that is pinned at the top of this forum already discussing it....

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

6 hours ago, Farz said:

If CBP asks, always state the truth. In your case, visiting husband and visiting cousin. Simple. 

They may guess, or look up, the pending immigration petition, if need be. 

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

12 hours ago, KierenHby said:

If CBP asks, always state the truth. In your case, visiting husband and visiting cousin. Simple. 

They may guess, or look up, the pending immigration petition, if need be. 

If they ask me what is the purpose of visit: can i say family and friends instead of specifying visiting husband and cousin.. ?? 

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, Farz said:

If they ask me what is the purpose of visit: can i say family and friends instead of specifying visiting husband and cousin.. ?? 

You can, but they can follow up with asking what family as well.

3 hours ago, Farz said:

Yes, you can say that. And what would your answer be if they ask you specifically what family?

Why are you still trying to find ways around answering the truth? People here have shared that they have traveled to the US while a spousal visa was being process specifically to see there spouse and was let in. The more you continue of thinking about hiding your reasons the more nervous you will be when the time comes and the more likely you will say the wrong thing or act in way that will be suspicious to the officer.

Stop thinking about being denied entry. Being denied can happen to anyone at anytime that is NOT a US citizen.

30 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

Yes, you can say that. And what would your answer be if they ask you specifically what family?

Why are you still trying to find ways around answering the truth? People here have shared that they have traveled to the US while a spousal visa was being process specifically to see there spouse and was let in. The more you continue of thinking about hiding your reasons the more nervous you will be when the time comes and the more likely you will say the wrong thing or act in way that will be suspicious to the officer.

Stop thinking about being denied entry. Being denied can happen to anyone at anytime that is NOT a US citizen.

Thanks.. much relieved.. i will be straight forward and truthful.. actually iam being nervous because of latest chaos happening at airports

Hi,

I owned a 10-yr tourist visa when I got married to my US citizen husband. I did not have to divulge any information except where I was going to stay, for how long and who I would be staying with. My answer was the same EVERY time - visiting my husband for 2 weeks in Florida. The officers would then ask (more likely hint to me that they knew!) if I was filing for spouse visa and I would tell them yes. Then they would ask how I was able to handle such a heartache of a long-distance relationship and how they could never stay away from their significant other for so long.

Overall, as everyone else indicated, do not lie to the officers but do not over explain yourself either. Keep it simple and to the point, answer only what is asked and you should be alright. Best of luck on your visa interview! :) 

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

On 2/4/2017 at 4:23 AM, Farz said:

Why not say visiting husband or cousin.. if asked? Pretty clear that's the purpose of visit. 

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.