Aussieinsocal

Does anyone else hate it here?

100 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

How do you find it compared to Aus though? Where did you live in Aus? Im so pleased that you've settled in there! Hopefully I find my place soon! Maybe I just need a little more time!

We love it here. BUT... we always tell friends and family who want to go down the same route that America isn't better than Australia. It's different.  And there's the catch.  If you love what makes it different, you will love it here.  If you hate what makes it different, then it's not for you.  We were beginning to hate the 'nanny state' that Australia is fast becoming.  We like the freedom we have here, the smaller taxes, and the fact that - at least where we live - people have enormous get up and go.  It's inspiring for us.

We lived in Melbourne before we moved to Charlotte.  We had picked Charlotte based on political leanings (Charlotte went Hillary but the state went for Trump - the states has a good mix of both parties and I find that means we don't get too many of the crazies), lots of Fortune 50 here so plenty of employment opportunities, low cost of living, good wages, excellent education system, temperate climate, things to do (we're outdoor-sy and it offers alot for us to do), international airport.  There were alot of 'no compromise' principles we had when picking where to live.  Unlike you, we don't have a family that held us to move to a particularly city or state.

Having said all of that, moving here is a mother effing culture shock of epic proportions.  I don't think you can underestimate it.  I had always assumed Australians and Americans were culturally the same.  Nope.  Not at all.  And THAT takes getting used to.  That takes months, if not years, of acclimating to.  I still struggle when they do something that is so alien to me.  It's like getting winded on the regular.  

OP, message me if you need to talk.  I feel your pain because I could have written your same post when we first got here.  :-)

Edited by EmilyW

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

i have lived in 24 states being moved first while dad was in military and then married to IBM man

Some places are just hard to make new friends

The state i am in now is suppose to be freindly but i have lived here since 2004 and still looking / i miss my home state but moving back i realize would not be the same / you can never go back to what was as things change continously

Just some places only accept those they know all their life and outsiders are outsiders / is a shame but anyone knowing a truly freindly place let us know

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline

give yourself some time may take awhile to get used to everything , 50 states so atleast theres a option to move in future

4 hours ago, Ontarkie said:

I know nothing about socal.

I wanted to let you know it took me 3 years to get to the point where I don't hate every single thing here. I will say I'm one of the few ppl here that loves the summer. I'm literally allergic to the cold. My blood pressure drops and I break out in massive hives. I love the heat I could do without the humidity but it's better then -40's. 

I still have never seen this southern hospitality that everyone talks about. I find ppl keep to themselves and well I'll stop because I might not stop :P One thing for sure I know it's not the entire State, I'm told by a few ppl that I met here that if we live away from Little Rock it would be much different. 

Since moving out of state is not an option right now maybe think of moving just a bit away. Heck even moving to another stated would be a lot closer to her family then going back home. 

I'm in AR as well, and I am also still waiting for that Southern hospitality thing. 6 years in, and no sign of it yet :) We are an hour north east-ish of LR.

I don't hate every last thing about it after so long, but I am the polar opposite, in that I cannot stand the humidity, and I love the colder weather. In the summer here it's like walking outside with a wet sweater over your face. This winter has been so peculiar, warm, and three days ago the weather radio was advising us to take cover as there was a tornado warning! Seriously? In the end of December?

We are moving, sooner or later. Where, now that is the question. I've a friend from NZ who is in Oregon, and is moving to TX as her USC Husband cannot stand the weather there. He is from CA, but isn't interested in living there.  My Husband won't go to the west coast either, or come to that, the east. He'd like 4 seasons, but at 65 and 4 years post transplant, seriously, how much snow does he really want to have to shovel? Zip.

Politics. I do my level best to ignore the entire thing, difficult as my MIL is the Republican Party Women's Chair here. I don't know anyone around here who isn't a Republican. I don't think I am a good fit for either party, really.  And everyone I know carries, including my MIL. 86 years old, and has a ruger in her handbag.

It's different, but having lived around the world a bit, I think I'd find that wherever I went.

OP, as Ontarkie has said, perhaps a bit further away from where you are is a good suggestion. You might not have to leave the entire state, to find somewhere you can feel a bit more settled.

Edited by cdneh

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Piggus said:

As an Oregonian, you'd have to pay me big $$$ to live in southern California. A lot of Californians like to think their state is superior to every other state when in reality one of their biggest problems is their smug and, at least in SoCal, materialistic attitude. Here in the northwest, if you see a car on the highway with California plates, good luck getting that person to let you pass. Just one example of how the "me first" attitude manifests itself.

This is obviously a huge and somewhat cheeky generalization and I don't mean to offend other Californians here (my own sister is one now!) But the OP's concerns are by no means unique. Many Californians need to get out of their own state and see how people in other states and countries treat their fellow man. With that said, Southern California has its perks and advantages, and I think you will discover these more over time and learn to appreciate what makes California and the country as a whole unique. 

I would be the first to get the hell out of here... but alas... I have a son I have to share with his mother.     Therefore Im stuck at least for the next 6 years and then hopefully he wants to come with me and is rich enought to fly back and forth.    :jest:

And for the  O.P. who is worried about Trump -     contrary to popular belief... he is not under your bed and not trying to eat your children alive. 

Edited by jstryker

K1 VISA
10/23/16....I-129F FEDEX 2nd day to Lewisville, TX
10/26/16....Delivered at Lewisville, TX

10/28/16....NOA1 Text and Email

10/28/16....NOA1 Date on Hard Copy Notice
11/04/16....NOA1 Hard Copy Received

w..a...i...t...i...n...g........ :clock:

11/22/16....NOA2 Text Only

11/22/16....NOA2 Approval Date - no email yet
11/28/16....NOA2 Hard Copy Received

w..a..i...t...i...n...g........ :clock:

12/06/16....Called NVC - No case yet (15 days after NOA2)

12/12/16....Called NVC - I-129F Received - no case number yet.

12/13/16....Case Number Received

12/15/16....Case status set as "In Transit"  to US Embassy in Manilla, PH

12/19/16....Embassy Received. Case status set as "Ready"

12/19/16....Emailed NVC asking for case information as it was never received (I know its too early - Just Do It Anyway)

xx/xx/xx......Never Received NVC letter hard copy from NVC (STILL MISSING GRRRRR)

01/03/17....NVC replied to email providing NVC letter and info

01/04/17....Medical Completed

01/04/17....Fedex I-134 (wet signature) and all documents needed from petitioner for CFO and for the USEM interview (employment, divorce decree, etc...)
02/08/17....Interview 
02/09/17....Visa Issued

02/15/17....Visa In Hand :jest:

02/17/17....CFO Interview, Yellow sticker in hand

03/07/17....POE - San Francisco, CA

Timeline
6 hours ago, Aussieinsocal said:

Its the culture (Or lack thereof) Everyone is rude and seems to be out to scam you for a buck. No one shows kindness or class.

True.   True. and  Mostly True.

and now with the election i can't stand the thought of leaving the house for fear of having to deal with some moron Trump supporter. 

Contrary to popular belief - Trump is not under your bed and not going to eat your children while you watch.    :jest:  Check the stock market prices since the Hildabeast was booted. This should assist you some in a few months looking for work.

Im heavily pregnant and am dreading raising my boys (Twins) in this country, moving home means we have to start the visa process again so my wife can get her immigration to Australia plus the cost of moving nd wasted money of immigrating here. 

Im trying to wrap my head around how you came to be pregnant - I must have misunderstood something.   Nevertheless congratulations.

K1 VISA

12/19/16....Emailed NVC asking for case information as it was never received (I know its too early - Just Do It Anyway)

xx/xx/xx......Never Received NVC letter hard copy from NVC (STILL MISSING GRRRRR)

01/04/17....Fedex I-134 (wet signature) and all documents needed from petitioner for CFO and for the USEM interview (employment, divorce decree, etc...)
02/08/17....Interview 
02/09/17....Visa Issued

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I wonder if you are having some adjustment issues and micro-focusing them on things like guns, gangs, and Trump supporters.  Often times when there are larger issues, it kind of manifests in this absolute hatred/fear/disgust towards smaller things.  I've been there and it is a common enough issue for people living somewhere new.   

As to California, yes you are there for your in-laws, but a state that they could easily visit but that might suit you better might be an idea.  I, as an American, have made it my life's goal to never step foot in California and have yet to meet a Californian that I am fond of.  (Relax a little Californians, it isn't a personal insult).  For me, my unexpected great fit and happy place came in a remote place 2 hours north of Fargo, which for a native New Yorker was an interesting choice, but something that works well for everyone in my family.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

2 minutes ago, jstryker said:

Im trying to wrap my head around how you came to be pregnant - I must have misunderstood something.   Nevertheless congratulations.

Do we need to explain how conception works? 

Timeline
Just now, N-o-l-a said:

I, as an American, have made it my life's goal to never step foot in California and have yet to meet a Californian that I am fond of.  (Relax a little Californians, it isn't a personal insult).

LOL - yes - California needs to just fall off the edge of the country into the water... but PLEASE WAIT FOR ME TO GET OFF FIRST.  

Not all of us are rude and nasty.

K1 VISA

02/08/17....Interview 
02/09/17....Visa Issued

Timeline
3 minutes ago, bcking said:

Do we need to explain how conception works? 

Well - given the way the sentence was structured:

"Im heavily pregnant and am dreading raising my boys (Twins) in this country, moving home means we have to start the visa process again so my wife can get her immigration"

"I am pregnant - my wife is ......"

So yes - you might need to explain that one unless he spent some time in prison and has a uterus?

K1 VISA

02/08/17....Interview 
02/09/17....Visa Issued

Timeline
2 minutes ago, bcking said:

He is a she. Conception does not require sex. It merely requires a sperm and an egg. This is the 21st century.

Ahhhh... Got it.  Thanks.

K1 VISA

02/08/17....Interview 
02/09/17....Visa Issued

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline
50 minutes ago, cdneh said:

I'm in AR as well, and I am also still waiting for that Southern hospitality thing. 6 years in, and no sign of it yet :) We are an hour north east-ish of LR.

I don't hate every last thing about it after so long, but I am the polar opposite, in that I cannot stand the humidity, and I love the colder weather. In the summer here it's like walking outside with a wet sweater over your face. This winter has been so peculiar, warm, and three days ago the weather radio was advising us to take cover as there was a tornado warning! Seriously? In the end of December?

We are moving, sooner or later. Where, now that is the question. I've a friend from NZ who is in Oregon, and is moving to TX as her USC Husband cannot stand the weather there. He is from CA, but isn't interested in living there.  My Husband won't go to the west coast either, or come to that, the east. He'd like 4 seasons, but at 65 and 4 years post transplant, seriously, how much snow does he really want to have to shovel? Zip.

Politics. I do my level best to ignore the entire thing, difficult as my MIL is the Republican Party Women's Chair here. I don't know anyone around here who isn't a Republican. I don't think I am a good fit for either party, really.  And everyone I know carries, including my MIL. 86 years old, and has a ruger in her handbag.

It's different, but having lived around the world a bit, I think I'd find that wherever I went.

OP, as Ontarkie has said, perhaps a bit further away from where you are is a good suggestion. You might not have to leave the entire state, to find somewhere you can feel a bit more settled.

I feel bad for your friend. There are a lot of Kiwis in Oregon since it's geographically similar to NZ. Texas by comparison is mostly hideous and has awful summers. HOWEVER every time I go there to visit family, I find something to love that we just don't have in the Northwest. Austin and parts of Dallas and San Antonio are pretty fantastic.  

Southern Oregon has all four season, no humidity, and fairly mild winters compared to places like the northeast and midwest. We also get 200 days of sun per year. People who move to Oregon always go to Portland, where it rains constantly. In reality Oregon is partially desert and it only rains a lot in the northern part of the state. As for politics, my county leans conservative, but it's mainly because other more rural towns outnumber my own town, which is one of the most liberal places in the state. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
53 minutes ago, jstryker said:

True.   True. and  Mostly True.

Contrary to popular belief - Trump is not under your bed and not going to eat your children while you watch.    :jest:  Check the stock market prices since the Hildabeast was booted. This should assist you some in a few months looking for work.

IVF!!! Lol. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.