manisali45

health insurance

30 posts in this topic

Yes it is good then.I prefer paying penalty instead of paying 255 every month.Now I am preparing documents for k1. Hopefully I file them next month

"Paying" the fine annually offers you and your soon to be spouse any kind of medical coverage should something happen to either of you. A three or four day stay in the hospital for emergency appendix surgery could run 10, 20, thirty thousands dollars. What then? I had my spouse added to my employer-subsidized health insurance 2 weeks before she even got into the US. It costs us 600 dollars a month. I was taking no chances.

What would happen if something does happen and you become destitute? I am not a gambling man.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
What would happen if something does happen and you become destitute? I am not a gambling man.

Question, asked and answered. The decision to carry or not carry insurance, of any kind, is one based on how risk averse you are.

Many people who are young and healthy are justifiably willing to carry a lot of risk. The difference between $695/yr (penalty & no insurance) or $250/mo / $3000/yr is pretty damn big. And let's not kid ourselves folks, the $250/month policy is inevitably a crappy one, i.e. high deductibles, high co-pays, etc.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Most bankruptcies due to health issues are where people do have insurance.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

OP you're in the same boat as most everyone else when it comes to health insurance. It costs either way.

Whether you decide paying for any and all health expenses out of pocket is worth it and giving the government the penalty in return, or whether you decide paying a monthly premium is worth it for the 'peace of mind' and 'just in case' factor. The government has done a lot to 'tweak' healthcare coverage in this country, unfortunately for many just the prospect of 'having' coverage is nearly as bad as not having coverage at all due to high deductibles. We rushed to focus on getting everyone insurance, instead of also understanding quality insurance. This is the end result now. Most everyone is going to have a high deductible, with a low cost plan (if you can call 225 low), so what else does the plan offer you in terms of benefits? Free wellness checkups? Lower cost prescriptions? Moderate copays? All these things must be considered in choosing the right plan for your family. Deductibles on the surface can seem like a joke, if you are fairly healthy - but if you should need a big surgery, long emergency care, hospital stay, or have pregnancy - suddenly you might find yourself thankful all you need to pay is that deductible (albeit a high one). And even insurances offered by employers all have these same underlying factors to consider.

As a K1 you'll also have the added expense of filing for AOS, after your marriage, so that will be more savings you need to have ontop of wedding expense if you're not planning on having a small courthouse thing. There are no consequences to either of you not having insurance from an immigration standpoint so long as the penalty is paid, but there may be consequences in terms of health risk and how prepared you are to pay out of pocket for costs due to illness or injury.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: Timeline

It ultimately up to you OP whether to just pay the penalty or get health coverage.

The problem is that the US health insurance industries require a mixture of healthy and not so healthy folks paying into the system for it to work. I felt the same way when I was young/single and paying 10's of thousands of dollar in premiums over the years, and never used any of the services. Now that I have a family, we use more than what I pay in premiums. Whether ACA get repealed next year or not, the current system won't survive without the healthy paying into it.

I dont know what to do,I think I need to change my job.Some employers offers health insurance

I guess we are fortunate in Hawaii that employers are and have been required since 1974 to provide medical insurance coverage to it's employees.

Hawaii Law for employees working 20 hours per week or more...The employee’s share of the premium for single coverage is limited to1.5%of their monthly gross wages,not to exceed 50%of the monthly premium.
Aloha from Hawaii

It ultimately up to you OP whether to just pay the penalty or get health coverage.

The problem is that the US health insurance industries require a mixture of healthy and not so healthy folks paying into the system for it to work. I felt the same way when I was young/single and paying 10's of thousands of dollar in premiums over the years, and never used any of the services. Now that I have a family, we use more than what I pay in premiums. Whether ACA get repealed next year or not, the current system won't survive without the healthy paying into it.

Not sure it "requires" unhealthy people but healthy people are the only way Obama's health care plan will ever work. Unfortunately, too many younger folks, and older folks as well are not participating...they're just paying the "fine" that Obama swore would never happen. Yeah right! My plan cover 80% of my families medical costs. I could not live without it. Not sure how anyone can.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

I don't understand how whether OP decides to have health insurance or not concerns any of us. Thats OP's choice and OP knows whats best for OP. If OP and OP fiancee decided they'd prefer to forgo insurance in order to have a nice wedding and not a courthouse wedding that's their choice.

Having health insurance or not having health insurance isn't going to cause any issue for immigration.

Edited by llaz

Mi Amor & Me:

Met.... 1/2010 on my 1st trip to Chile!

Seven visits between 7/19/2015 - 7/9/2017 (Five me to Chile, Two him to USA)

Engaged .... 11/17/2015

K1/AOS Journey:

Spoiler

11/01/2016 .... I129F sent to Lewisville,TX

11/03/2016 .... I129F delivered/received

11/07/2016 .... NOA1 dated

11/08/2016 .... NOA1 text/email received

11/14/2016 .... NOA1 hardcopy received

04/07/2017 .... RFE notice on USCIS App
04/15/2017 .... RFE hardcopy received

04/20/2017 .... RFE response mailed
04/21/2017 .... RFE response received

06/05/2017 .... APPROVED!! (215 days) USCIS App still states RFE received

06/10/2017 .... NOA2 hardcopy received 
06/20/2017 .... NVC received & case number obtained

06/23/2017 .... Case left NVC

06/29/2017 .... Case received at Santiago embassy
07/21/2017 .... Interview

07/31/2017 .... Medical
08/14/2017 .... Visa in hand

08/28/2017 .... My love comes home! POE: ATL

10/21/2017 .... Wedding Day! ❤️

11/17/17 .... Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago Lockbox

11/20/17 .... Packet received

11/22/17 .... Case # received by text message

12/20/17 ... RFE recieved

1/10/18 ... RFE responded

3/1/18 ... EAD "New Card Being Produced" online (AP no change & no text)

3/6/18 ... EAD/AP card in mail

3/6/18 ... I-797 NOA hard copy received (EAD & AP)

4/2/18 ... Interview date

4/2/18 ... Approved!

ROC Journey

Spoiler

2/15/20 ..... Sent package to Phoenix, AZ

2/18/20 ..... Package received

Question, asked and answered. The decision to carry or not carry insurance, of any kind, is one based on how risk averse you are.

Many people who are young and healthy are justifiably willing to carry a lot of risk. The difference between $695/yr (penalty & no insurance) or $250/mo / $3000/yr is pretty damn big. And let's not kid ourselves folks, the $250/month policy is inevitably a crappy one, i.e. high deductibles, high co-pays, etc.

Spot on... My husband gets health insurance through his work, they deduct just $50 out of his paycheck each month... to add me would have cost $400 a month out of his pay check!!!! Needless to say as a healthy young female I opted to go without health insurance and saved my husband having an extra $350 deducted from his pay check each month (this would financially CRIPPLED us) and pay a $695 fine instead. I mean, pay $4200 a year on health insurance or pay a $695 in fines. It was a no brainer. However, my place of employement have just introduced health insurance for the first time, which commenses 1st january 2017 which is affordable so I can breath a sigh of relief... but as far as our previous situatuon was concerned. damn.... I would of just paid the fine.

heart.gif Every love story is beautiful, but ours is my favorite heart.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

yes, I am gonna penalized 695 .But If i want to enroll I need to pay 255 a month,This is a lot.So It wont be a problem whether I have a health insurance or not.Thanks for answer

Keep in mind too the 695 will be per adult, per year, so this will double when your fiancé comes.

"For tax year 2016, the penalty will rise to 2.5% of your total household adjusted gross income, or $695 per adult and $347.50 per child, to a maximum of $2,085."

Timeline

The basic principal of Insurance is that you pay a premium commensurate with the risk you put into the pool. With OCare that is not the case so hardly surprising that thos who are undercharged and keen on buying it and those who are overcharged are less so.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 1 year later...
Timeline

Yes, you need to file to adjust and use the NoA.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.