hatadese

changing martial stutus

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Hello, I had been married and submitted I – 130 to USCIS to bring my wife to US. On I-130 form by mistake it was single. After I applied for naturalization on the interview time the USCIS officer changes to married. After interview time, I received a final decision for I-130 it was denied after 5-year process. Then after this letter I had an appointment ceremony for naturalization. then on naturalization certificate it says married. I had been for long time for I-130 process and finally the denied. I do not need to continue with I-130 process anymore and I need to divorce my wife as international divorce. On this time, I am US citizen I live in US and she live back home. I need international divorce to change my naturalization certificate to single. Can someone help me how can I divorce internationally here in USA. I leave in state of Maryland. she did not live here in USA she lives back home.  Can I make a divorce here in USA only by myself? Can you tell me the steps?    Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Duplicate thread merged. Please do not start more then one thread for the same topic.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
On 12/28/2016 at 8:35 AM, Penguin_ie said:

Need more information:

- Are you filing a I-130 (for who?), or are you refering to the I-130 originally filed for you?

- Are you married?

- If not married, why do they think you are?

i am maried back home and i already did I-130 for my wife after 5 years process it is denied , but on naturalization certificate it says married. i need to divorce to be single here in USA. i need to divorce international . i live in US but she live back home what can i do. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I am assuming that when you first started your wife's I-130 application, you were a Permanent Resident (Green Card holder) which is why it took them so long to process the application. Now since you are a naturalized US citizen, your wife will qualify under Immediate Relative category (IR-1) and will be eligible for 10 year residency immediately . It is a much faster process but to get the approval you will still have to prove that you have maintained the marital union not just on paper but also in reality (frequent visits to see her, regular phone calls, sending money for up keep, joint assets, etc.)

You will find a lot of resources on this website to guide you through the process. The only thing you need is willingness to save your marriage and reunite with your wife. If you have made up your mind about getting a divorce then I am sure you will find a way to make the divorce happen.

Good luck.

CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION (MARRIED TO A US CITIZEN)

06-27-2014: Green Card Date (Resident Since)

03-29-2017: N-400 Early Filing Eligibility Date

03-28-2017: N-400 Application Mailed (FedEx 2 Day AM)

03-30-2017: N-400 Application Delivered

04-03-2017: Credit Card Charged

04-06-2017: Email Confirmation Received (FORM G-1145 was filed with the Application)

04-10-2017: NOA Received in Mail (Priority Date: 03-30-2017, NOA Date: 04-05-2017)

04-12-2017: Case Status changed to Biometric Appointment Scheduled

04-13-2017: Biometric Appointment Letter Received (Appointment Date: 04-27-2017)

04-14-2017: Biometrics Completed (Early Walk-in)

05-30-2017: Case Status changed to "In-Line for Interview" (Almost 1 month before 3rd Anniversary - May 27th, 28th & 29th were holidays)

05-30-2017: Case Status changed to "Interview Scheduled"

06-03-2017: Interview Appointment Letter Received (Interview Date: 07-06-2017)

07-06-2017: Interview Completed

07-13-2017: Case Status changed to "In-Line for Oath Ceremony"

07-27-2017: Case Status changed to "Oath Ceremony Scheduled"

07-31-2017: Oath Ceremony Letter Received (Oath Date: 08-18-2017)

08-18-2017: Oath Ceremony Completed

08-18-2017: Passport Application Submitted (Expedited)

08-25-2017: Passport Received

08-31-2017: Passport Card & Naturalization Certificate Received (separately)

Filed: Timeline

Hatadese,

did the officer had your wife's I-130 application along with your N-400? Just curious how was he able to correct your marital status in I-130 during your N-400 interview? 

I have N-400 interview coming up and wondering if i have to bring any docs that i submitted while applying for my wife's I-130 as LPR? As you know all the applications (I-130 or N-400) have the same A# number so wondering if N-400 interviewing officer will also have I-130 application form during N-400 interview? 

Timeline
15 hours ago, Avi_NM said:

I am assuming that when you first started your wife's I-130 application, you were a Permanent Resident (Green Card holder) which is why it took them so long to process the application. Now since you are a naturalized US citizen, your wife will qualify under Immediate Relative category (IR-1) and will be eligible for 10 year residency immediately . It is a much faster process but to get the approval you will still have to prove that you have maintained the marital union not just on paper but also in reality (frequent visits to see her, regular phone calls, sending money for up keep, joint assets, etc.)

You will find a lot of resources on this website to guide you through the process. The only thing you need is willingness to save your marriage and reunite with your wife. If you have made up your mind about getting a divorce then I am sure you will find a way to make the divorce happen.

Good luck.

Thans for help . i had been for long time with USCIS I-130 i am tired of this i will not go back to the process again . i live here in USA she live there back home i need to divorce here in US .

Timeline
9 hours ago, vjjmember111 said:

Hatadese,

did the officer had your wife's I-130 application along with your N-400? Just curious how was he able to correct your marital status in I-130 during your N-400 interview? 

I have N-400 interview coming up and wondering if i have to bring any docs that i submitted while applying for my wife's I-130 as LPR? As you know all the applications (I-130 or N-400) have the same A# number so wondering if N-400 interviewing officer will also have I-130 application form during N-400 interview? 

he changed to maried because he agree that i am maried , if he do not agree with your merrage certificate he will send to FBI to search before they give you citizenship. on interview time the officer ask me about my wife information such as her birth date , when was the merriage etc. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.