So fickle

So Many Questions

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

The last few days I have been pondering a couple of things:

- should i move to another state or should i leave America all together,

- why does my visa journey account keep getting suspended,

- should i start a family,

- should i play the mega millions or powerball lottery to diversify my income streams

- why don't people just get along,

- why are American cars Left hand drive,

- why do Americans have different units of measurement... i.e. fluid ounces instead of litres/ml; pounds instead of kilogram; miles instead of kilometers; fahrenheit instead of celsius;

- why do Americans call football soccer and American football football when they dont play the ball using their feet

- why did people vote in favor of proposition 64 and legalize marijuana in california for "recreational" purposes

- why is LA so unconventional in that they have san fernando valley where adult movies are made

- why do people become homeless

- why do hospitals sometimes place banners in buses stating that they are looking for alcoholics, smokers, people suffering from depression, etc for a paid medical experiment. Why they don't ask for normal people to experiment on

- why is china super league paying people like Carlos Tevez £615,000 a week in wages... yet there is people in Africa earning under $1 a day.

Just some thoughts for the mind. Merry Christmas!!!

Edited by So fickle

The last few days I have been pondering a couple of things:

- should i move to another state or should i leave America all together,

- why does my visa journey account keep getting suspended,

- should i start a family,

- should i play the mega millions or powerball lottery to diversify my income streams

- why don't people just get along,

- why are American cars Left hand drive,

- why do Americans have different units of measurement... i.e. fluid ounces instead of litres/ml; pounds instead of kilogram; miles instead of kilometers; fahrenheit instead of celsius;

- why do Americans call football soccer and American football football when they dont play the ball using their feet

- why did people vote in favor of proposition 64 and legalize marijuana in california for "recreational" purposes

- why is LA so unconventional in that they have san fernando valley where adult movies are made

- why do people become homeless

- why do hospitals sometimes place banners in buses stating that they are looking for alcoholics, smokers, people suffering from depression, etc for a paid medical experiment. Why they don't ask for normal people to experiment on

- why is china super league paying people like Carlos Tevez £615,000 a week in wages... yet there is people in Africa earning under $1 a day.

Just some thoughts for the mind. Merry Christmas!!!

1) Move to another state, I think you'll find something you're looking for in a different place.

2) For being naughty I suppose.

3)Entirely up to you. Seems like you need to get #1 worked out first before that though.

4) I've never won that thing yet, but I did get some scratchoffs as a gift and won some money.

5) Because its the internet.

6) Because http://www.history.com/news/ask-history/why-do-some-countries-drive-on-the-left-side-of-the-road

7) Because this is America, it's a completely different country you know. If you stay around long enough you'll get used to it (that doesn't mean you have to like it). But historically for a large number of reasons. It's been that way for so long most of us are happy with it.

8)You know there have been studies on this. Soccer was a term being used in Britain many hundred years ago. It came into fashion to be sort of a cool 'slang term' and we liked it, so we just used it.

9)It's a growing trend to legalize pot in many states.

10) It's LA. Anything goes.

11) Many factors. My town has some of the highest rates of homelessness on this coast and in this state. It seems to follow poverty-stricken areas, lack of job growth, high drug abuse, vets with mental illness etc. The UK has plenty of them too, more than ever before.

12) Well they do that too. But I've noticed a trend of late that they are asking for recovering addicts for smoker studies. I suppose to study the overwhelming trend of addiction in society and how to treat it.

13) There's a lot wrong in this world, but we can only do our best to live our lives in it to the best of our ability.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Hi yuna628,

I appreciate you responding to each question.

- I especially like your answer to number one. I think America is a beautiful country, it just takes time to get used to it.

- Lol... you are probably right about number 2,

- I agree with you on number 3. Sound advise

- Congrats on winning some money on scratch off... Do you play set for life or another scratch and win game?

- hmmm.. interesting answer but am curious why don't people get along in real life

- wow. eye opening article. so initially people were driving on the left for defensive purposes i.e. so they can easily wield a weapon in case they run into an enemy

- i am starting to see that America has a distinct identity. At first it felt peculiar but am gradually getting to get accustom to the American way.

- thats news to me dint know that the term "soccer" emanated from Britain... you sure do your homework. impressive stuff! I think also maybe Americans call it soccer so as to distinguish it from American football. Also i notice you have baseball but the rest of the world has cricket... would like to see America play cricket against other countries.

- oh dear! am worried... i am kind of conservative and concerned that if this trend continues then it will open the door for other things to become legalised like drugs etc etc

- You have a point there, i am starting to see that LA is permissive to alot of things... Would I be right to regard it as more of the exception rather than the norm?

- you have collaborated what i have heard from various people about what causes homeless in particular I have heard from different sources that post traumatic stress disorder is a major contributor to homelessness. I have seen homeless people in the UK but what i find different in America (or in LA for that matter) is that the police do not mind them... when i was in birmingham UK i would see police officers having a word with them and they would actually ask them to leave maybe thats why i dnt come across homeless people as often as I do here

- that makes sense. thanks for explaining it to me.

- i begrudgingly agree. life is unfair but hey it has to go on.

Thank you one again yuna628 for taking the time to address every question. I am truly grateful for your answers... Have a merry christmas and good luck with the lotto.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Regarding the units: most countries used to have "practical" ways of defining weight and volume (based on known sizes, such as a stone, a foot etc). Furthermore, discoveries and progress was made simultaneously in different parts of the world without the current ease of Internet communication available (so, more than one scale for temperature was initiated).

While most countries have adapted the (more scientifically sound) metric system, the US is lagging behind. For the common American, this causes few problems. But, for individuals in science, manufacturing etc - it's quite problematic and tedious.

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Regarding the units: most countries used to have "practical" ways of defining weight and volume (based on known sizes, such as a stone, a foot etc). Furthermore, discoveries and progress was made simultaneously in different parts of the world without the current ease of Internet communication available (so, more than one scale for temperature was initiated).

While most countries have adapted the (more scientifically sound) metric system, the US is lagging behind. For the common American, this causes few problems. But, for individuals in science, manufacturing etc - it's quite problematic and tedious.

there is no difference it the soundness of either unit of measure they both have thier own units for mass, length, temperature. metric does have an easier conversion between standard units but either method is equally valid.

f f,

Thats true about conversion. I find it confusing sometimes when I go to a supermarket and pick up a bottle of soda and look at the label and it reads 20 Fl Oz which equals 591ml whilst in Europe and other parts of the world a similar bottle would be 500ml which is approximately 17 Fl Oz

Timeline

there is no difference it the soundness of either unit of measure they both have thier own units for mass, length, temperature. metric does have an easier conversion between standard units but either method is equally valid.

Sure. But as I said, one is scientifically based (and thus scientifically sound), the other is not. The US units are by definition more ambiguous. Although they are precisely define now, they were not always.

K1 process

AOS process:

ROC process:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Switzerland
Timeline

Sure. But as I said, one is scientifically based (and thus scientifically sound), the other is not. The US units are by definition more ambiguous. Although they are precisely define now, they were not always.

One is not more scientifically sound than the other. The metric system is simply easier to use and thus reduces the chance of human error when calculating and/or converting. What makes using English units tedious for Americans is the switching back and forth between Metric and English. That is someone using English units during their daily lives and then if doing scientific work switching to metric. Can get confusing easily if you are not on your toes.

Timeline

One is not more scientifically sound than the other. The metric system is simply easier to use and thus reduces the chance of human error when calculating and/or converting. What makes using English units tedious for Americans is the switching back and forth between Metric and English. That is someone using English units during their daily lives and then if doing scientific work switching to metric. Can get confusing easily if you are not on your toes.

Spoken like a true American, lol. I did not say that the English units are not clearly defined (they are now), and could theoretically be used for science. They are not based on physical, scientifically described phenomena though (which is my point).

K1 process

AOS process:

ROC process:

I keep getting suspended because when you give people a answer they don't like they attack you and when you defend yourself you get suspended

I'm the queen of being suspensions my latest suspension was 21 days I think

I love my husband ?‍?‍?

Married June 2016

Por siempre y para siempre Mi amor

Hi yuna628,

I appreciate you responding to each question.

- I especially like your answer to number one. I think America is a beautiful country, it just takes time to get used to it.

- Lol... you are probably right about number 2,

- I agree with you on number 3. Sound advise

- Congrats on winning some money on scratch off... Do you play set for life or another scratch and win game?

- hmmm.. interesting answer but am curious why don't people get along in real life

- wow. eye opening article. so initially people were driving on the left for defensive purposes i.e. so they can easily wield a weapon in case they run into an enemy

- i am starting to see that America has a distinct identity. At first it felt peculiar but am gradually getting to get accustom to the American way.

- thats news to me dint know that the term "soccer" emanated from Britain... you sure do your homework. impressive stuff! I think also maybe Americans call it soccer so as to distinguish it from American football. Also i notice you have baseball but the rest of the world has cricket... would like to see America play cricket against other countries.

- oh dear! am worried... i am kind of conservative and concerned that if this trend continues then it will open the door for other things to become legalised like drugs etc etc

- You have a point there, i am starting to see that LA is permissive to alot of things... Would I be right to regard it as more of the exception rather than the norm?

- you have collaborated what i have heard from various people about what causes homeless in particular I have heard from different sources that post traumatic stress disorder is a major contributor to homelessness. I have seen homeless people in the UK but what i find different in America (or in LA for that matter) is that the police do not mind them... when i was in birmingham UK i would see police officers having a word with them and they would actually ask them to leave maybe thats why i dnt come across homeless people as often as I do here

- that makes sense. thanks for explaining it to me.

- i begrudgingly agree. life is unfair but hey it has to go on.

Thank you one again yuna628 for taking the time to address every question. I am truly grateful for your answers... Have a merry christmas and good luck with the lotto.

Just a few points: When it comes to drugs I have little tolerance, even with pot. Though this is an opinion that is fast going out of fashion, and my libertarian sensibilities acknowledge that when it comes to this plant, it may well fall under the domain of a freedom issue. Studies have shown that pot can have a real helpful affect in medicine for those who are very ill, and we should be studying it more to see if it has even greater health benefits. Consider for a moment the one item that many people use daily in this country and others legally, which is known to cause the following: cancer, disease, and death, raises healthcare costs for everyone, causes cancer and diseases in adults, children, and animals who may be incidentally exposed to it, and is absolutely addicting. That item is tobacco. A legal product which everyone acknowledges is extremely harmful to all who use or may be exposed to it and is addicting to boot. It offers no health benefits, but certainly does make a lot of people, a lot of money... but it's ultimate cost is truly harmful. If I look at pot on one hand and tobacco on the other, I know which I'd be more ready to legalize and point out the hypocrisy with.

As for the homeless, I often find, from personal observation that the UK can treat the homeless appallingly and sometimes nearly as less than human. The real and truly homeless (not begging pretenders/cons) are in desperate need for help, and though there are many charitable organizations and food banks, we simply do not do enough to assist. Economic conditions in the UK is increasing the strain on these services. The homeless poor do not deserve to be 'hidden' and 'unseen', so that the public don't have to think about it. That attitude is quite different here, where the homeless are often everywhere, and officers normally only approach them, if they are harassing or breaking the law, not because of where they choose to sleep or get warm. While it can be upsetting to witness someone living in such conditions, we must acknowledge it exists and it is increasing due to the rising number of the mentally ill, poverty, and the heroin epidemic.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

I keep getting suspended because when you give people a answer they don't like they attack you and when you defend yourself you get suspended

I'm the queen of being suspensions my latest suspension was 21 days I think

Thats exactly the same thing keeps happening to me. Its like there is a clique of people who conspire to suspend accounts that are in alignment with their world view of things...

But i gotta take my hat to you as 21 days is a damn long time, my suspensions usually last 2 days... you must have really touched a raw nerve to get that prolonged suspension.

What even determines the period your suspension will last for?

Just a few points: When it comes to drugs I have little tolerance, even with pot. Though this is an opinion that is fast going out of fashion, and my libertarian sensibilities acknowledge that when it comes to this plant, it may well fall under the domain of a freedom issue. Studies have shown that pot can have a real helpful affect in medicine for those who are very ill, and we should be studying it more to see if it has even greater health benefits. Consider for a moment the one item that many people use daily in this country and others legally, which is known to cause the following: cancer, disease, and death, raises healthcare costs for everyone, causes cancer and diseases in adults, children, and animals who may be incidentally exposed to it, and is absolutely addicting. That item is tobacco. A legal product which everyone acknowledges is extremely harmful to all who use or may be exposed to it and is addicting to boot. It offers no health benefits, but certainly does make a lot of people, a lot of money... but it's ultimate cost is truly harmful. If I look at pot on one hand and tobacco on the other, I know which I'd be more ready to legalize and point out the hypocrisy with.

As for the homeless, I often find, from personal observation that the UK can treat the homeless appallingly and sometimes nearly as less than human. The real and truly homeless (not begging pretenders/cons) are in desperate need for help, and though there are many charitable organizations and food banks, we simply do not do enough to assist. Economic conditions in the UK is increasing the strain on these services. The homeless poor do not deserve to be 'hidden' and 'unseen', so that the public don't have to think about it. That attitude is quite different here, where the homeless are often everywhere, and officers normally only approach them, if they are harassing or breaking the law, not because of where they choose to sleep or get warm. While it can be upsetting to witness someone living in such conditions, we must acknowledge it exists and it is increasing due to the rising number of the mentally ill, poverty, and the heroin epidemic.

hmmm... interesting to read your comments about pot... i too have heard that it has some therapeutic/medicinal uses. There is this tragic case I read about though where a man who was high on medical marijuana struck and killed a state trooper http://www.masslive.com/news/worcester/index.ssf/2016/12/10_things_to_know_about_the_ca.html#0

Lol thats so true about tobacco, its a money minting business... I happen to think tobacco manufacturers do put those addictive substances so as to get people hooked onto smoking. I used to work with this guy that would smoke no less than 10 sticks a day... its really an expensive habit as for starters cigarettes are expensive (http://www.salon.com/2016/11/14/california-undermines-big-tobacco-raising-the-cigarette-tax-by-2-in-the-state/) and secondly as you rightly mentioned they cause cancer or terminal illness, so you end up raking high hospital bills.

As for homelessness I can see why it cannot be fully tackled - its very costly. Here in California people voted yes to Proposition HHH which will raise $1.2 billion to erect 7000 units of permanent housing for the homeless, however the number of homeless is in the 40 thousand so even this proposition wont fully solve the problem. Its interesting the distinction you have made about genuine homeless (i.e those with absolutely nothing) as i do come across people who sleep in their cars as well and these would be classed as homeless as well as they have no fixed abode. Its really depressing to see this because at the same time there is lots of deserted buildings which could be converted into homeless shelters but still the state insists on constructing new units at a high cost...i guess this why i am so puzzled by the way the system operates here in America.

Also i reckon there is an increasing number of homeless people who are ex convicts or have served time in prison and cannot get work because lots of employers do background checks

in regards to the UK, I know the London council had started relocating some people on benefits to other cities like birmingham, manchester etc because rent prices were cheaper there. Its not ideal but it helped reduce the council's spending per head and therefore enable them to serve more people. The problem with UK is that people take advantage of the system because i know this one person who actually quit their new job within the first week as they were receiving more in benefits whilst unemployed than when employed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.