AdamGreaves

Moving to America

37 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Depends on the visa, the no USC can do the job is a repeated VJ myth.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Maybe this picture will sort it out for you to understand immigration and possibilities. Have you thought about DV Lottery too?

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

Do you know what sort of field you would look for job sponsorship in? You've said your previous expertise was in nukes stuff? That sounds like you'd require heavy government clearance for getting a job similar to that, which isn't really something a non-USC could get for a profession like that. It does sound like you'd be skilled no doubt, but the question is if you could find a company that would be willing to sponsor you. All of this would have to be done at great expense and via company lawyers.

Wish you luck on the B though I do not know if it will prove successful for you.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

What advice do you exactly expect OP ? There are millions of people that would like to move, few of them do, ask yourself why...

There is no single recipe beside what you already read . You have to be more needed then those millions or at least better at figuring out how to do it...

Sorry to be bearer of bad news, but you're doing pretty poorly so far.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Kzielu, I'm making preparations for something at least 3 years in advance. This was a post requesting advice before pursuing professional advice which would come at a cost. If you aren't here to give advice and just be insulting why waste your time and mine? I have only started planning the possibility of moving in the past few weeks, how prepared should I be exactly? I can sit and read through days of information on immigration or I could ask people and see if anybody has done this themselves and avoid mistakes. I suggest you find something better to do with you time than insult people on the internet

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Kzielu, I'm making preparations for something at least 3 years in advance. This was a post requesting advice before pursuing professional advice which would come at a cost. If you aren't here to give advice and just be insulting why waste your time and mine? I have only started planning the possibility of moving in the past few weeks, how prepared should I be exactly? I can sit and read through days of information on immigration or I could ask people and see if anybody has done this themselves and avoid mistakes. I suggest you find something better to do with you time than insult people on the internet

It's not an insult. All the regular stuff that you will hear here takes 2 minutes to Google. Immigrating through work requires some skill and ability, nobody is going to to tell you "go apply here" which is what you seem to be expecting. Everything done it differently, some got transferred by their current employer, some found an employer and were sponsored for a work visa, but none achieved it by posting on a forum.

You seem to have done absolutely zero research. Note that work visas are non-immigrant and give no path to permanent residency other than giving opportunity for the employer to get to know you. Start from looking info on-line - what kind of professions are being most frequently sponsored, what are the companies to do it. If you are unable to do it, forget about immigrating through work - that's all I am saying.

US military won't hire you if you're not a resident already - short of MAVNI program which you won't qualify for if you were born in GB.

Timeline

I have done extensive research regarding the visas for traveling and the ball is already rolling for that. I began to research visas for moving over permanently and there is an endless amount. I understand sponsorship and employment but the information on who can sponsor and who is likely and in what field is quite vague. I thought it would be helpful to ask and see if anybody has been through a similar process. You know nothing of what skills I possess or am able to prove. I have no intention of joining the military, that's just where I gained my engineering experience.

I came to this website to begin expanding knowledge on my best path as there appears to be a number of routes. I don't understand why you would comment on a forum that is just looking for general advice to be rude

I began to research visas for moving over permanently and there is an endless amount.

That is... really not true. Like, really.

If you want to move there permanently there is just a couple of options:

1. Marry an US citizen.

2. Win a visa lottery.

(I know there is also a sponsoring through a relative but I see that OP doesn't have USC family).

OP, you're really ignoring all the people here who are trying to explain to you that its extremely hard to get a work visa. And its even HARDER to turn that work visa into a permanent residency.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

As you have noted, there is a plethora of visas and requirements. As you stated, we know nothing of what skills you possess or will be able to prove. So, how are we going to tell you which visa to pursue? Would you like an exhaustive thesis on work visas to the US?

You have to have a skill set that a US employer is willing to go through to show that bringing a foreign worker in is justified. A pub owner will not qualify for a work visa. You mention your skills as a nuclear weapons engineer. Look at employers in that area who are willing to bring you over.

Edited by aaron2020

Timeline

I understand it's difficult which is why I'm asking people that know more than I do. I'm not ignoring but I wasn't asking to be told how hard it is, I know it's hard. I've taken into account the advice people have given, I will look into the DV lottery and begin searching for the possibility of sponsorship. Just because it's difficult doesn't mean I'm not going to try.

Timeline

Aaron, why be so facetious? The only response required would be to look into the DV lottery or look for sponsorship in a skilled trade but that doesn't guarantee citizenship. There's really no need for anything else.

UK is not DV eligible. Only unless you were born in NI.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.