lindam201

I-751, Only submitted Tax Return of recent one year from Turbotax, will this be a big issue?

25 posts in this topic

Yeah H&R Block has software that can upload your w2 to the return or even download it from the IRS I believe to generate it into your tax form. I believe if you actually look at what was printed out when you "printed out your HR block return" youll see it had a computer generated image of the w2 somewhere in the packet. (maybe it doesnt look 'pretty' and all square like, but all the coding from the W2 stating the amounts and control numbers are there so it can be verified- making it an acceptable copy of a w2)

but the year I submitted we were students and we didn't have w2. The other year we worked but I didn't submit. I thought I should submit 2015 and 2016 but actually Maybe I should submit the 2014 and 2015 which we filed jointly. Will I for sure get RFE and should I send them files without RFE notice. Edited by lindam201

Yeah H&R Block has software that can upload your w2 to the return or even download it from the IRS I believe to generate it into your tax form. I believe if you actually look at what was printed out when you "printed out your HR block return" youll see it had a computer generated image of the w2 somewhere in the packet. (maybe it doesnt look 'pretty' and all square like, but all the coding from the W2 stating the amounts and control numbers are there so it can be verified- making it an acceptable copy of a w2)

I just submitted my i-751 and I submitted "Copies" from TurboTax.com for 2014 and 2015.

I believe when I did my taxes, I uploaded my W2 online and turbotax did some magic to fill them out.

The reason I did not request for tax transcript to file is because I only sent the copies of my taxes when filing for AOS.

I guess I will need to request for Tax Transcript if you are correct on this.

I found two options to obtain the tax transcript, Mail or Online. Which one is preferred over the other?

Thanks all

I just submitted my i-751 and I submitted "Copies" from TurboTax.com for 2014 and 2015.

I believe when I did my taxes, I uploaded my W2 online and turbotax did some magic to fill them out.

The reason I did not request for tax transcript to file is because I only sent the copies of my taxes when filing for AOS.

I guess I will need to request for Tax Transcript if you are correct on this.

I found two options to obtain the tax transcript, Mail or Online. Which one is preferred over the other?

Thanks all

Mail or online are the same but mail looks better.

Filed: Timeline

but the year I submitted we were students and we didn't have w2. The other year we worked but I didn't submit. I thought I should submit 2015 and 2016 but actually Maybe I should submit the 2014 and 2015 which we filed jointly. Will I for sure get RFE and should I send them files without RFE notice.

Ya know, everyones situation is different- so most of the advice given is "general" in nature because small differences in situations can make things completely different...

First you said you sent the tax return for just 2015, then you posted you didnt include the w2s, and now you are saying there are no w2s. Saying you didnt include them gives the impression you have them but didnt include them- (thats one situation) Whereas saying you dont have them so you didnt send them is a totally different situation.

Im also not exactly sure what kind of tax return you submitted as a MfJ return with no w2s or 1099s? If you had no income then what did you submit a tax return for? Just to have one? (I understand you were students- but that doesnt answer the question).. Im just curious- you dont need to answer..

Regardless- for the USCIS if you send paper copies of a tax return (1040 forms) then you need the supporting w2s and 1099s with it. A lot of the current do it yourself tax software nowadays has capabilities to upload your w2s and generate a copy of it with your return. Some dont. You have to actually LOOK at the papers you print out from your tax software program and see what you print out. If you print out something with your w2 info on it- whether it looks all boxy or not, its a copy of your w2 info and will probably be accepted as your 1040+w2 copy for USCIS. But srsly- what is the big deal to copy your w2s and attach them if you havent mailed in your packet just to be sure? (for people that already mailed it- well, they will just have to wait and see I suppose?)

So- I dont know what your 2015 return was suppose to contain (if it needed w2s or 1099s attached or not). I do not know if your tax software program generated something that would count as a copy if it did. If it did and it wasnt included, they will want them. If it did and it was included, then its fine.

For ROC they ask for proof of bonafides for the entire span of your marriage- not just from when you were issued the GC. If you get an RFE it will state to include things covering the span of your marriage. There are no "requirements'" for what needs to be submitted for ROC for proof of bonafides. They can suggest to you in the RFE what they want you to send back- but you are under no obligation to do so, just as they are under no obligation to approve you.

If your current packet contains 1 year of tax returns (and is ok in terms of meeting w2 requirements because it didnt need one, or it was included in what the tax software generated) and they choose to approve you based on just that- well congrats. If your packet contains the 1 year and its missing w2 info and by some odd chance they feel they have enough evidence to approve you without considering the incomplete return- again, congrats.

Anyway- obtaining your tax transcripts are free and not really that big of a hassle to do since you can do it from home. So I dont see why anyone who is concerned about what they sent as tax info wouldnt obtain them in advance and just stick them in a drawer. They dont expire, so if an RFE comes, its one less thing you have to wait on to be able to mail the RFE back asap. And honestly thats the main concern- getting the RFE back asap so the case can be finished already.

I know I was pretty confident with the ROC packet I sent back when I sent it, but I still had a folder up till the notification that it was approved that I would stick 'additional new evidence' into just in case while we were waiting.

Ya know, everyones situation is different- so most of the advice given is "general" in nature because small differences in situations can make things completely different...

First you said you sent the tax return for just 2015, then you posted you didnt include the w2s, and now you are saying there are no w2s. Saying you didnt include them gives the impression you have them but didnt include them- (thats one situation) Whereas saying you dont have them so you didnt send them is a totally different situation.

Im also not exactly sure what kind of tax return you submitted as a MfJ return with no w2s or 1099s? If you had no income then what did you submit a tax return for? Just to have one? (I understand you were students- but that doesnt answer the question).. Im just curious- you dont need to answer..

Regardless- for the USCIS if you send paper copies of a tax return (1040 forms) then you need the supporting w2s and 1099s with it. A lot of the current do it yourself tax software nowadays has capabilities to upload your w2s and generate a copy of it with your return. Some dont. You have to actually LOOK at the papers you print out from your tax software program and see what you print out. If you print out something with your w2 info on it- whether it looks all boxy or not, its a copy of your w2 info and will probably be accepted as your 1040+w2 copy for USCIS. But srsly- what is the big deal to copy your w2s and attach them if you havent mailed in your packet just to be sure? (for people that already mailed it- well, they will just have to wait and see I suppose?)

So- I dont know what your 2015 return was suppose to contain (if it needed w2s or 1099s attached or not). I do not know if your tax software program generated something that would count as a copy if it did. If it did and it wasnt included, they will want them. If it did and it was included, then its fine.

For ROC they ask for proof of bonafides for the entire span of your marriage- not just from when you were issued the GC. If you get an RFE it will state to include things covering the span of your marriage. There are no "requirements'" for what needs to be submitted for ROC for proof of bonafides. They can suggest to you in the RFE what they want you to send back- but you are under no obligation to do so, just as they are under no obligation to approve you.

If your current packet contains 1 year of tax returns (and is ok in terms of meeting w2 requirements because it didnt need one, or it was included in what the tax software generated) and they choose to approve you based on just that- well congrats. If your packet contains the 1 year and its missing w2 info and by some odd chance they feel they have enough evidence to approve you without considering the incomplete return- again, congrats.

Anyway- obtaining your tax transcripts are free and not really that big of a hassle to do since you can do it from home. So I dont see why anyone who is concerned about what they sent as tax info wouldnt obtain them in advance and just stick them in a drawer. They dont expire, so if an RFE comes, its one less thing you have to wait on to be able to mail the RFE back asap. And honestly thats the main concern- getting the RFE back asap so the case can be finished already.

I know I was pretty confident with the ROC packet I sent back when I sent it, but I still had a folder up till the notification that it was approved that I would stick 'additional new evidence' into just in case while we were waiting.

Thank you so much for the response. So do you think I can send them my irs tax transcripts of two years now, without RFE?

Thank you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

We received a RFE for not providing both years, we only gave last one. Got all fixed soon after we sent it out :)

K1 Visa

Service Center :California Service Center

I-129F Sent : 2013-09-21

I-129F NOA1 : 2013-09-26

I-129F NOA2 : 2013-11-15

NVC Received : 2014-01-04

Packet 3 Received : 2014-01-15

Packet 3 Sent : 2014-01-27

Packet 4 Received :2014-02-07

Interview Date :2014-02-18

Visa Received : 2014-02-27

US Entry : 2014-03-17

Marriage : 2014-03-18

Adjustment of Status, EAD, AP

Date Filed : 2014-04-25

NOA Date : 2014-05-02

Interview: 2014-07-09

Approval: 2014-07-09

Green Card Mailed: 2014-07-15

Green Card Received: 2014-07-18

Lifting of Conditions

Filed: 2016-04-13

NOA Date : 2016-04-21

Biometrics: 2016-05-04

RFE - 2016-11-22

Approved -2016-12-15

Card Mailed 1016-12-20

Card in hands : 2016-12-23

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

For 751 one year turbotax ? Why do you also think I should not send them anything without being asked? I thought sending them anyway could avoid RFE even it is just a possibility to be added to my package?

I said it is not necessary at this stage because somebody at the service center literally needs to go and find your folder in the pile (that probably has 1000s of other folders) and add it in. Labor some process and in the end they could always play we never received the extra evidence.

However, you seem very worried about it. So, why don't you send the transcripts for your peace of mind? Write up a cover letter saying you applied for ROC mm/dd/yyyy and got a receipts number WACxxxx dated mm/dd/yyyy, it recently came to your attention you only provided last year's returns and it was not the official IRS transcript. Attach the IRS transcripts and ask them to include the new evidence to your file. Include the copies of your NOA and biometrics letter showing the two tracking numbers. Keep your fingers crossed they add these to your folder but they somehow screw up and fail to attach the new documents to your folder, your case would be evaluated with the current evidence anyways.

On December 27, 2016 at 10:53 AM, charmander said:

I said it is not necessary at this stage because somebody at the service center literally needs to go and find your folder in the pile (that probably has 1000s of other folders) and add it in. Labor some process and in the end they could always play we never received the extra evidence.

However, you seem very worried about it. So, why don't you send the transcripts for your peace of mind? Write up a cover letter saying you applied for ROC mm/dd/yyyy and got a receipts number WACxxxx dated mm/dd/yyyy, it recently came to your attention you only provided last year's returns and it was not the official IRS transcript. Attach the IRS transcripts and ask them to include the new evidence to your file. Include the copies of your NOA and biometrics letter showing the two tracking numbers. Keep your fingers crossed they add these to your folder but they somehow screw up and fail to attach the new documents to your folder, your case would be evaluated with the current evidence anyways.

Thank you so much !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.