So fickle

Am fed up, am going back home

26 posts in this topic

I wish you luck with your decision and where life takes you from here on. I can not say staying is the best option for you nor can i say that leaving is. My ex once told me when there is a decision to make list the good and the bad about each option. Then you can make up your mind from a logical stand point rather out of frustration and/or an emotional one. Once again good luck.

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi mimolicious, reading about your husband's experience makes me appreciate the difficulty of settling in america and makes me feel like am fickle. Wow up until now I dint know some people have had a rougher time than me and I truly salute your husband for his work ethic. I truly wish I could be like that. Hmmm based on what you have told me i might have to ponder my decision because I honestly felt like I was suffering alone... I honesty dint know other people been through worse. And no not at all you are not harsh you have just kicked some sense into me. I appreciate that

I wish you luck in whatever you do in the future.

That said, I agree that it's a bit of a cop out to blame you nationality, color, accent, or whatever as a reason for your struggles. Yeah, I'll be the first to admit that there are people who will treat you differently (either actively or passively) due to these factors. But there are more people in this country than almost ever facing these challenges and can still succeed if they work hard enough. It's a very, very busy time of the year right now for pretty much everyone. And even recruiters lose track of things, or their priorities change. Don't take it personally. The issues with finding employment are challenges most of us that grew up in America also face. Several of my friends are in the same spot. Yeah, it's rough. It's exhausting. It's frustrating. But in the end, we make it work. A couple months really isn't that long...you're still adjusting and comparing everything to what you have known most of your life.

I suggest calming down and taking a less emotional-based perspective of the situation. List the pros and cons, and keep adding to this list over time (weeks/months). Then figure out the best action based on those factors.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Steve Jobless. I feel you...Moving here is really tough at the start. I am too experiencing some Adjustment period issues and homesickness. I am very happy being with my husband and I love him so much but since I am not allowed yet to apply jobs I feel so worthless not being able to help him in the finances which I love doing and been doing that (helping bills in my family when I was still single). I enjoy doing house chores but since I'm used to working my body is looking for that "busy life" I used to have.

The funny thing is before I came here, I had been reading a lot of article on how to cope with this adjustment period and I thought I am fully equipped but I was wrong. It is truly different once you are in the situation. So many things to adjust...from being single to being married and living with someone whom both of you were raised differently and had different life experiences from the past, adjusting to new life style,new environment, trying to make new friends. Regaining the "Established you" is such a process.. I am going through that process and I am thankful my husband is very supportive but it really needs TIME AND PATIENCE.

Extend your patience, hopefully you will be able to find job soon and regain your confidence and self-esteem. Always remember IF THERE IS LIFE, THERE IS HOPE. Look for your happiness, YES! but DON'T GIVE UP TOO EASILY. A new year might bring new opportunities for you and for the job you have been looking for.

Be happy and STAY HAPPY!

If two individuals want to be together, stay together and work together, it will happen. They will make it happen.Remember, the two of you are a TEAM!

I love you more today than yesterday (L) .

Sorry that you feel you have to give up on your new life after just two months.

When my husband and I moved to the US after being stationed in Germany (he was with the Air Force and Army for over ten years), I had a meltdown and wanted to go home after just three days of arriving, yes DAYS. I thought it was the biggest mistake of my life. I could not find a job and neither could my husband. He was unemployed for five months and applied for well over 100 jobs before and after his retirement. He was promised referrals to attend interviews but many times he never heard back. He just carried on applying for other positions. The only job he could find was at Pets at Home working nights at the pet hotel cleaning the dog ice cream machine and such. As an army veteran with over 20 years service, he felt extremely despondent and frustrated. So you are not the only one in this situation.

We are lucky that we have been able to return to Germany on government orders as he finally managed secure a job back here, something we were not expecting at all. However, it is still difficult for me to find a job on base as many of the jobs are federal positions and, as a green card holder, I do not qualify. But hey, I make the best of a not-so-ideal situation.

I think maybe you are being a little harsh on yourself and expecting a little too much after having been in the US for only two months. Don't take things personally when someone doesn't call, so what? Toughen up, move on, forget about them and their job, it's their loss. Be patient, things will turn around when you least expect them to.

Good luck with whatever choice you decide to make.

I'm from the UK, hubby is from Michigan and is a retired US Army LTC.   We are currently stationed overseas.

Here is our immigration journey so far....

10.26.13 - Our wedding in Scotland 

11.26.14 - Filed I-130 at US Consulate, Frankfurt (DCF)

11.18.14 - Returned to Scotland to renew our vows for our first wedding anniversary

01.08.15 - NOA2 received in snail mail, together with case number and Packet 3 instructions

02.15.15 - Submitted Packet 3

02.17.15 - Packet 4 received by email with instructions to schedule medical and interview

02.18.15 - Email authorisation received from Consulate to gain access to appointment calendar

03.03.15 - Medical

03.18.15 - Interview - Approved

03.21.15 - Visa in hand

06.10.15 - POE Chicago (final destination Detroit)

07.20.15 - Received SSN in mail

07.27.15 - Received 2 year green card in mail

The journey to ROC starts here...!

10.05.15 - Returned to Germany on government orders

05.25.17 - Mailed ROC package to California Service Centre

06.14.17 - Received NOA 1 (dated 05.30.17) in mail

09.05.18 - Received a second NOA (dated 08.11.18) in mail granting a further six months extension to green card due to 'processing delays'

11.26.18 - ROC - Approved

12.05.18 - Approval Notice I-797 received in mail

12.18.18 - 10 year green card received in mail

The journey to citizenship starts here...!

This sounds like homesickness to me, everyone's experience with moving to America is different, some harder than others. I have had a hard time adapting and still do at times but things aren't as bad as they once were. I have been here for 6 months and in the beginning (after the honeymoon period), I always wanted to go back home, it was the first thing I'd say and the first thing I wanted whenever anything didn't go my way or during a minor disagreement with my husband for instance. Nobody said this transition was going to be easy, we knew it was going to be difficult but we didn't know just how difficult. Things will get easier, it's baby steps every day but I know that I could not or will not give up so easily, I can't throw the towel in and walk away because my husband is the one thing I am here for and no matter how difficult I feel life can be, I won't leave him. If you know for sure that you have done EVERYTHING you can to give it your best shot and you still want to leave then the best thing is for you to leave. If you think that there is more for you here and you're just homesick then stay and work through it. It's the only advice I can give you but I hope you find what you are looking for either way.

I will not look back on this journey with fond memories, but I will look back knowing that every step was worth it, whatever the outcome.

K-1

Spoiler

I-129f sent - December 30 2015
NOA1 received - January 4 2016
Hard copy received - January 11 2016
RFE notice - February 29 2016 (56 days)
Hard copy received - March 4 2016
RFE receipt - March 09 2016 (9 days)

NOA2 received - March 16 2016 (72 days from NOA1)

NVC received - April 06 2016 (21 days from NOA2)

Medical - April 15 2016

Packet 3 received - April 16 2016

Interview - June 01 2016 (wedding postponed) - APPROVED!!

Visa in hand - June 09 2016

Flying home - June 17 2016 - POE JFK - check out my POE review for details

Wedding - July 14 2016

AOS

I-485 - 08/24/16

NOA1 - 09/01/16 Biometrics - 09/26/16

EAD - 11/04/16

AP - 11/05/16

Card delivered - 11/19/16

Driving license - 11/30/16

New job - 12/01/16

I-485 approved - 02/10/17 - Interview waived

ROC

I-751 - 11/30/18

NOA1 - 01/25/19

Biometrics - 07/01/19

For the job I have now, I interviewed on a Friday and they said they would call on the Monday and never did. I left messages that weren't returned. Finally on the next Thursday I got an email with a job offer. Sometimes employers are in the middle of something else and can't get back to you right away. I feel your pain though. There's been a lot of times where I felt like I just want to go home. I wouldn't have imagined feeling like this when I actually was home. Even when I visited the UK in June I remembered why I hated it there but even now I'm pining for it :(

I hope whatever you do you'll find happiness.

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** Two posts removed for back language and personal attack. This thread will remain locked, and is not to be re-started. ******

Edited by Penguin_ie

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.