Jump to content

Foreign income will cease - Prior year tax returns

6 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

My wife and I are filing form i-864 from China. My income is large enough to meet minimum required income; however, it will cease once we leave move in America.

1. Is this income eligible to meet minimum required income as a sole sponsor?

Also, my prior years tax returns are currently in the mail on the way to the IRS.

2. Can I use copies of these tax returns or must I wait to get IRS tax transcripts when submitting my i-864?

3. If I need to use a joint sponsor, must I send tax transcripts or tax returns when submitting my i-864?

My wife and I have a goal to leave China in May of 2017 and waiting for transcripts might cause unwanted delay.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Only income in US counts...not income that you have in another country...unless that income would continue as normal even after move to the US.

Photocopies of tax returns work but having transcripts are foolproof.

Transcripts do not take long to arrive...about 10 days or so by experience.

Best of luck!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Your foreign income does not count since it will stop once you return to the US. Only foreign income that will continue after you return to the US is countable for the I-864.

2. You can use your tax return. Your tax return includes every document sent to the IRS; it' not just he 1040.

3. It's best to sent the petitioner's I-864 with the Joint Sponsor's I-864. You need the bar coded cover page after paying the I-864 fee. Best to send one complete submission rather than 2 separate partial packages.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, both, for your replies.

I was fairly certain have to find a joint sponsor but wanted to make sure.

This brings up another question:

1. If I use my mother as a joint sponsor, does she need to fill out an i-864a?

We will definitely use her address on the i-864 and will stay at her place temporarily while we find our own place.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.