Beautiful7

NEW 2 SITE AND OVERALL PROCESS!! CAN SOMEONE PLZ TELL ME WHERE TO START.

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello everyone I am NEW to this site and first time going through or learning about this process. My fiance and I met online 4 years ago. He is of Nigerian Citizen but resides in Athens Greece. The first 2 years was allot of getting to know one another through those years. I have gotten a bit of information about the routes I should take being that we want to marry. Was told to take the K1 visa route because it's much quicker than the spouse visa. That we have to see each other at lease once within 2 years of the filing and have evidence that our relationship is real. Ok.. well I have 3 concers..

He has over stayed his time in Greece and is not a legal resident there. 2) They mare a mistake on his birth certificate from Nigeria with the wrong birth year so it doesn't match his true age on his pass port. We were told it may be best for him to go back to Nigeria to correct the Birth certificate and he interviews there. My first visit will be in March 2017 and I was going to file the K1 soon after we met. We have allot of build up evidence besides the meeting face to face. Will that be to soon to file a K1 visa after 1 trip. Is it better he go back to Nigeria. Oh and is it necessary to use an attorney. I suggested to use a immigration attorney because I didn't want to mess up any forms and cause delays and denial being that I'm new to this but they are quite expensive and I seen many file their own forms. Can someone who is familiar with this help me out plz. Thank You.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

First, yes because he has no legal status in Greece definately he needs to go back to Nigeria for the interview process of the K-1.

Also he definately does need to make sure to get his birth certificate corrected.

Make sure also to start documenting everything from chat histories, to eventual plane tickets/boarding passes, photos of you two, ect, for the I-129F.

Nigeria is not a nice embassy to deal with so you may also want to visit the Nigeria forum here on VJ: http://www.visajourney.com/portals/index.php?country=Nigeria

The memebers there can definately help you with "front loading" your petition as again, Nigeria is a very rough embassy to go through.

Read the guides here for better understanding of the process for the i-129F and K-1: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Also, as long as you can follow simple instructions you do not need to have a lawyer/agency do anything, you can manage it all on your own if you put some time into reading the guides and forms.

Good luck!

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

THANK YOU SO MUCH! We have been searching for information to do this the right way without any mistakes. Ready for him to get here was really hard trying to get vacation time on the job last year. Getting kids schedule together etc..Determined to take the trip set out for March for sure. If my income has changed from last year and I fall a little under the guidelines for a household of 5. I believe it will be 5 Me,Fiance, and I have 3 kids. Will I have to use my savings account in what I have saved to make up the difference. Little worried about that. I assuming if you get a Co sponsor like your parent they have to meet the total amount but what if they don't make that a year. What would be an option for that part to count as income.

Timeline

THANK YOU SO MUCH! We have been searching for information to do this the right way without any mistakes. Ready for him to get here was really hard trying to get vacation time on the job last year. Getting kids schedule together etc..Determined to take the trip set out for March for sure. If my income has changed from last year and I fall a little under the guidelines for a household of 5. I believe it will be 5 Me,Fiance, and I have 3 kids. Will I have to use my savings account in what I have saved to make up the difference. Little worried about that. I assuming if you get a Co sponsor like your parent they have to meet the total amount but what if they don't make that a year. What would be an option for that part to count as income.

You can use your savings and assets to offset the amount needed to cover the 100%poverty guideline for a household of 5... Yes you, him, and your 3 kids, so 5.

But the savings/assets I believe has to be 3 or 5x the amount missing... someone correct me if I'm wrong...

If you use a co-sponsor, they need to also make above the 100% line for 6 people.... your 5 person household and themselves.... again please someone correct if I am off abit on this.

02/03/2017 - Married 

Welcome!

He should go back to Nigeria for sure.

Getting his birth certificate corrected should be the very first thing done.

It will help with the whole process go quicker.

I would also suggest you file the forms yourself.

The guidelines on this site are very in depth and helpful.

Remember, if you think you can do it, you can!

Good luck!

Timeline

Hello everyone I am NEW to this site and first time going through or learning about this process. My fiance and I met online 4 years ago. He is of Nigerian Citizen but resides in Athens Greece. The first 2 years was allot of getting to know one another through those years. I have gotten a bit of information about the routes I should take being that we want to marry. Was told to take the K1 visa route because it's much quicker than the spouse visa. That we have to see each other at lease once within 2 years of the filing and have evidence that our relationship is real. Ok.. well I have 3 concers..

He has over stayed his time in Greece and is not a legal resident there. 2) They mare a mistake on his birth certificate from Nigeria with the wrong birth year so it doesn't match his true age on his pass port. We were told it may be best for him to go back to Nigeria to correct the Birth certificate and he interviews there. My first visit will be in March 2017 and I was going to file the K1 soon after we met. We have allot of build up evidence besides the meeting face to face. Will that be to soon to file a K1 visa after 1 trip. Is it better he go back to Nigeria. Oh and is it necessary to use an attorney. I suggested to use a immigration attorney because I didn't want to mess up any forms and cause delays and denial being that I'm new to this but they are quite expensive and I seen many file their own forms. Can someone who is familiar with this help me out plz. Thank You.

Also to state the importance for you to discuss with other Nigeria members here on VJ could be specifics about your relationship. This is why Nigeria, it is very important to know how to properly "front load" your petition when it comes time for you to put it together.

Aspects especially for Nigeria to consider are age differences(is he younger/older), you have kids already, does he.. Certain norms within the country of Nigeria are very important to take into account; but those are things to discuss with other Nigeria members here on VJ as they have much better understanding to dealing with that embassy and how to put the petition together.

02/03/2017 - Married 

Timeline

No problem and welcome to the forum.

Also just to note... the I-134 affidavit of support form is not needed until the interview phase... So say you submitted the I-129F petiton in April after your trip. You would not need to supply it until September or October probably depending on how fast they process your petition and there's no issues. So you have time to figure that out also.

Again good luck on your journey.

02/03/2017 - Married 

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline

no lawyers needed , become a student of the guides and research as much as you can and ull be fine , also search out questions on this site and ull find out most of your questions already have answers , defiantly front load to a decent size not too crazy , i would suggest atleast 2 -3 trips instead of just one if you can,

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Welcome to the forum. Because your thread is so country-specific, it's now moved from Introducing Our Members to the Africa: Sub-Saharan regional forum, which encompasses Nigeria.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.