Buzz15

Trouble with Obtaining Police Certificates in Canada fro K-1

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Interesting, are you guys talking about no criminal certificate from the RCMP for the K1 visa? It took them only a few minutes to check and I got the certificate the same day. I was in and out with my documents within 30minutes.

Interesting, are you guys talking about no criminal certificate from the RCMP for the K1 visa? It took them only a few minutes to check and I got the certificate the same day. I was in and out with my documents within 30minutes.

Yes, but it's more difficult when you don't live in Canada unfortunately.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 1 month later...
Filed: Timeline

Original poster who wanted to give an update...

My fiancee was not selected for further investigation (thank goodness!). It ended up being a clerical issue where the RCMP required the original fingerprint card from her native country to further process.

As a suggestion to all those in the future who need to obtain Canadian police certificates remotely and choose to use a 3rd Party vendor, be sure to send the vendor the original fingerprint card. My understanding is that they can submit the application on your behalf without the originals initially, but they must eventually have the card on file for any inquiries by RCMP. The vendor failed to notify us of those facts so that is why we got delayed.

Thank you for your update and I hope everything goes well with you guys in your further immigration process. :)

K1 Visa
Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Tokyo, Japan

I-129F Sent : 2016-03-10

I-129F NOA1 : 2016-03-14

I-129F NOA2 : 2016-06-07

NVC Received : 2016-07-06

Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned : 2016-07-06

NVC Left : 2016-07-07

Consulate Received : 2016-07-11

Packet 3 Received : 2016-07-15

Packet 3 Sent : 2016-07-15

Interview Date : 2016-08-08

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2016-08-10

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Cleveland OH

Date Filed : 2016-10-17

NOA Date : 2016-11-01

Bio. Appt. : 2016-11-21

Interview Date : Waived

Approved Date : 2017-02-15

Greencard Received: 2017-02-22

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 12/14/2016 at 11:50 AM, zilchfox said:

So weird. I went and did a P.I.C. through Calgary Police Services and I had the background check within 2 weeks, and that satisfied the CO during the K-1 visa interview in Montreal. I was in Canada when I got this check done, though.

Hi, I'm in Calgary as well. We have not started the K1 process yet but we're working on it. Should I start the Police cert now?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, MNGGRL said:

Hi, I'm in Calgary as well. We have not started the K1 process yet but we're working on it. Should I start the Police cert now?

No, wait until you've at least had your NOA2, otherwise it may be too early. It'll take about a month to get it through the Calgary Police Service. Do note that not all locations can process a PIC, however you can find more information here: https://policeinformationcheck.calgarypolice.ca/

PS: At the top of the page shows the date they're processing applications for. ePIC will not be sufficient for immigration, you need to go to a CPS location. Call their non-emergency line at 403-266-1234 if you have any questions for them.

Edited by zilchfox

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 2/25/2017 at 7:07 PM, zilchfox said:

No, wait until you've at least had your NOA2, otherwise it may be too early. It'll take about a month to get it through the Calgary Police Service. Do note that not all locations can process a PIC, however you can find more information here: https://policeinformationcheck.calgarypolice.ca/

PS: At the top of the page shows the date they're processing applications for. ePIC will not be sufficient for immigration, you need to go to a CPS location. Call their non-emergency line at 403-266-1234 if you have any questions for them.

Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.