Michael&Lexy

B1/B2 denied and planning to apply F1 visa.

35 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The tourist visa denial has no impact on the K1 application, as long as she didn't lie about your relationship or anything else at that interview.

You will need to start by filling a i129f petition with USCIS here in the US (check out the guides on this website). She can interview at the embassy of any country she is a citizen or legal resident of. Her choice.

Most people do not use or need a lawyer, unless there are some particular circumstances (usually related to criminal history or previous illegal presence in the US).

Timeline

Thank you for the info. She's just so worried about it. It's a relief that it won't affect the fiancé visa.

One reason why I want to get a lawyer is I don't have much time to process it and I live in Tennessee. I don't want to make mistakes that can cause us problems in the future. It is my first time to process a visa and I am not familiar with it. I just want to be sure that everything is correct.

Btw. Thank you. ??

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

To be honest we were thinking about a lawyer but just decided to do it by ourselves and use the help of some wonderful people on here.

I think its one of those where immigration lawyers recommend immigration lawyers or people who have had previous problems.

Once you have everything in order and completed the paper work its more sitting around waiting. My fiance completed all forms she needed to and mailed the original petition, received two letters and then it was pretty much down to me from the point she received the letter to say it was at the Embassy in London.

Its probably a person opinion again and others may disagree with me if they used one but i do believe the lawyers are expensive for what they are actually doing and I am not sure how much they actually help you.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

To OP, you have some serious research to do about a K-1 Visa... Read thru the guides here in detail. It won't be fast figure a mimimum of 3 months before she can interview. You don't apply for a K-1 at the Embassy, *YOU* apply for her by sending all the documents into to USCIS lockbox... You'll see that when you read thru the guides. You don't need a lawyer for this and as was said above as long as she did not mis-represent her relationship with you when she applied for a B1/B2 that will have no effect on the K-1. As to where she applies.. she will have to attend an interview prior to departure to the USA. If she'll be in Thailand at the likely interview time with valid residency there that is the embassy I would choose. If she were to go thru the US Embassy in Manilla there are additional requirements... St. Luke's does a through medical which if she's living in Thailand at the time would require additional trips to the Philippines. There is also the matter of CFO clearance from the Gov. of the Philippines. Once she has a VISA to the USA she will need to complete the CFO counseling if she travels to the USA from the Philippines... No such requirement if she interviews and departs to the USA from Thailand. Good luck on your Journey sorry she won't be able to join you in the USA for Christmas.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Thank you for the info. She's just so worried about it. It's a relief that it won't affect the fiancé visa.

One reason why I want to get a lawyer is I don't have much time to process it and I live in Tennessee. I don't want to make mistakes that can cause us problems in the future. It is my first time to process a visa and I am not familiar with it. I just want to be sure that everything is correct.

Btw. Thank you. ??

Everyone here was a newbie at some point, but we all made it trough. As far as saving time, having a lawyer does not really do that for you. You still have to supply him/her with all your personal information and documents. They just work as a somewhat expensive mailing service. And on this website we see more people with lawyers having problems due to processing mistakes than without. Read the guides about the K1 visa on this website, and post your questions and concerns - people are really helpful and knowlegdeable here :-)

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

She applied for B1/B2 to visit her aunt in Michigan. I guess she got denied because of her aunts situation. She is a retired assistant nurse. She showed a complete supporting documents. Working permit, contract , fat bank account, properties and a letter from her employer ( director of the school). She is a traveler. She traveled many different countries around Asia including countries that have visa like Japan and Korea.

Hi,

A denied visitor visa has no affect on a K-1 visa.

Your fiancee was not denied a visitor visa because of her aunt. Her aunt has nothing to do with the visitor visa denial. She got denied based on her situation . . . young, single, etc . . . and not being able to overcome the presumption that all visitor visa applicants intend to immigrate.

Best of luck.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Eh, that's kind of lame to say that.

I did a K-1 Visa for my Fiancee and it was my first time in everything.

I never considered a lawyer because it's quite useless to have someone do

very simple paper work for you. All you really need to do is just read online about

how to gather the required papers. Then just follow guides to complete the paper work.

By the way, I was 22 years old at the time of filing for a K-1 Visa for my Fiancee who is now my wife.

*We met online in a dating site - 2/10/2015

*We met in person at the Laguindingan Airport - 2/11/2016

*We got engaged! 2/19/2016

*I returned Back home - 2/25/2016

*Filed the I-129F petition - 3/11/2016

*USCIS Received my package 3/14/2016
*USCIS I-129F opened the package - 3/17/2016
*I-129F Petition fee paid $340.00 USD - 3/17/2016
*NOA1 Received in mail - 3/21/2016

*RFE Was issued - 6/08/2016

*Replied to RFE - 6/16/2016

*USCIS Started reviewing my RFE reply - 6/20/2016

*I-129F Petition approved - 6/25/2016

*Received NOA2 in the mail 7/1/2016

*Mailed package out to my Fiancee - 7/20/2016

*NVC case number was created - 7/21/2016

*Case in transit to the Consular Section - 7/21/2016

*Case is ready for setting up interview - 7/26/16

*My package was delivered to my Fiancee - 7/27/2016

*Paid $240.00 USD fee 7/29/2016

*My Fiancee traveled to Manila 8/16/2016

*My Fiancee has taken Medical 8/16/2016

*My Fiancee passed the Medical 8/17/2016

*My Fiancee Passed Interview - 8/22/2016

*I have traveled to the Philippines 9/21/2016

*I had to return home 10/05/2016

*My Fiancee arrived in the United States - 10/05/2016

*My Fiancee and I have finally got married - 11/09/2016

Timeline

Hi! I feel your pain I was also denied for a tourist visa when I applied here in Singapore. I'm also a Filipina working here for about 5 years. The CO didn't even bother to check all the documents I got, bank statements, company letter, property titles in Philippines, etc. She just said they can't issue me the tourist visa at that moment. But it turned out for good as we are now in the process of K1 visa. Petition was already approved and just awaiting for to receive the papers from consulate. It's better to apply where you are residing now but remember to get your original NSO birth certificate and NBI clearance in the Philippines if your going there. All glory to God! Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you for sharing it. We are on the same boat right now. She applied for a tourist visa right after we got engaged. She is planning to have a long vacation in the Philippines starting April until May. I don't really want to waste more time and wait a little bit longer. I want to process the K1 next month and we haven't decided which embassy should we apply. I guess it is very convenient for her to apply in Thailand but she's planning to stay in the PH for two months. I guess it is better for us to process it in the Philippines instead.

Are you and your fiancé will apply for K1 visa in the Philippines?

I will write on here till the visa will be done.

Yes, I will apply for K1 visa in US Embassy in Manila, Philippines. My tourist visa application was denied in the same Embassy back in November 2014. I was trying to apply for a tourist visa instead of a K1 visa at that time because I still have some unfinished business here in the Philippines and so we thought of trying to apply for a tourist visa so that at least I can go there and visit him and his family. I had to be honest and state in my tourist visa application that I'm going to visit my fiance in the states even though I know that would make it more difficult for me to get a tourist visa. I had to tell them because I didn't want to have problems when I'll apply for K1. So far, I don't really think the tourist visa denial would have an impact on my K1 visa application (even if it's in the same Embassy) because I was told back then to apply for K1 and not a tourist visa. :)

Yes, I will apply for K1 visa in US Embassy in Manila, Philippines. My tourist visa application was denied in the same Embassy back in November 2014. I was trying to apply for a tourist visa instead of a K1 visa at that time because I still have some unfinished business here in the Philippines and so we thought of trying to apply for a tourist visa so that at least I can go there and visit him and his family. I had to be honest and state in my tourist visa application that I'm going to visit my fiance in the states even though I know that would make it more difficult for me to get a tourist visa. I had to tell them because I didn't want to have problems when I'll apply for K1. So far, I don't really think the tourist visa denial would have an impact on my K1 visa application (even if it's in the same Embassy) because I was told back then to apply for K1 and not a tourist visa. :)

You are doing exactly the right thing. The very reason your tourist visa was denied is the very reason you have a strong case for a K-1 - a fiancé in the USA and immigration intent.

To the OP, it doesn't matter whether your fiancé has her interview in Bangkok or Manila. Both embassies (and any other embassy in the world) will see her previous denial. I would not worry about it too much. It's very common for young, single women from Asia to be denied tourist visas when they want to travel alone to the USA. And even more so where a love interest is declared or suspected.

She will need a Thai police certificate so she should arrange this when she leaves the country. If she's going to have her interview in Manila, she will also need to get it translated into English.

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline

Timeline

Hello there, Lexy here. My fiancé told me about this site. I read your story and it's a relief knowing that I'm not alone.

Honestly, I was so hurt and down about the visa refusal. I was so confident and had all the supporting documents in hand. I was wearing a very formal attire without make up on because one of my friends adviced me not to put any make up on that day. He then looked at me from head to toe. No trace of smile on his face. I was so nervous but I keep myself calm and smiled at him.

He asked a bunch of questions. He didn't bother to looked at my documents first but every time he threw questions at me I showed my document even he is not asking for it. First question was. Are you single? Have you been traveling locally? ( which is in Thailand) have you been traveling internationally? What do U do? Where do you intend to visit in the US? Do you have any properties in Thailand? How much is my salary and do I have any family here? Who do you want to visit in the US? And her job.

I answered him properly and correctly. I'm traveling a lot. Locally and internationally. I got a good monthly salary and permanent job and savings. I have my sisters here with me etc. still he denied me. i showed him my strong ties here in Thailand. It saddens me. I wont be able to spend my Christmas with my fiancé.

I hope everything will be fine with the F1 visa. My fiancé is working with it now.

Thank you for sharing yours. Keep me updated. ❤️❤️❤️

Same Filipina with love. ?❤️?

Edited by Michael&Lexy

When you went for your B2 interview did you say you were visiting your aunt or your fiancé? Your fiancé said at the beginning of this thread that the B2 was for you two to spend Christmas together but now it seems that you told the officer that you were visiting your aunt.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline

This is an honest answer. I was really unsure using my fiancé as my reason to travel in the US because my friend said the consular might deny me.

So, I used my aunt and she was very supportive about it.

Yes, I said. I wanna visit my aunt coz I haven't seen her for ages. I will visit her anyway but I'm planning to visit my fiancé too.

Is it gonna affect the F1 visa?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.