much_respec_t

Health insurance after i-485 app for elderly parents

33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

From my understanding:

130's don't expire, medical exam results might need to be adjusted

Just priced insurance: $1,197.92 per month minimum Silver plan with 12k family deductable.

If they came without intent to immigrate (which they do not have themselves), we suggested to do so and they agreed, seems like they would be eligible to buy this coverage.

Please correct me if I am missing anything. Thank you.

OCare has the lowest reimbursement rates, do you have local Doctors etc who are in plan near you? Many who will take Medicare will not take OCare.

You need as I mentioned to include the uninsured costs.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

Boiler,

Correct. We just don't see other options from our perspective?

1. They live abroad, when health gets worse we can't leave to take care of them without losing jobs.

2. They come here 4-5 months per year

3. They don't want to become citizens, but possibly would be open to GC

4. Cost is really high, but at least negates the danger of a huge bill that travel insurance doesn't cover.

Problems of immigrant families with parents left behind. If anyone has gone through this and has advice, we are open to any suggestions.

Timeline

I often think the best situation is to move to CA or NY where you can get Medicaid from day 1, I assume their income is minimal.

Citizen, well that is 5 years down the road and some so may not be an issue.

I am surprised you could find someone to issue them travel insurance for such a long visit,.

Often there is no good situation, you have to do what seems to make sense.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Elderly parents immigrating and health insurance... often unrecognized issue.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline

Usually mentioned as an after thought.

They wouldn't qualify for medicaid, because they didn't pay in.

They can get Obamacare due to the ACA.

Nothing free about it ($1,200 per month premium for bronze plan) - our healthy ACA rates have tripled to cover the cost of uninsured. It's the new law.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

They wouldn't qualify for medicaid, because they didn't pay in.

They can get Obamacare due to the ACA.

Nothing free about it ($1,200 per month premium for bronze plan) - our healthy ACA rates have tripled to cover the cost of uninsured. It's the new law.

It may be cheaper at some point to take elderly parents to countries like India or Egypt where quality private healthcare is abundant and, for those paying in US dollars, relatively affordable. Especially for costly procedures and expensive prescriptions.

Healthcare in the US is a mess whether you have "good" insurance or not.

Edited by Mounat

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Another thought is how your parents feel about leaving their friends behind. I know at various times all of us gave my mother the option of moving nearer to each of us and she always felt she was happier in the town she grew up in . She never moved more than 2 miles from the house she was born in..

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

No you're not wrong but they can't come here on a tourist visa with the intent to reside permanently.

If they spontaneously decide to stay is one thing but to plan to reside then use a tourist visa is frowned upon.

Their age may make a difference in that a CBP officer at the POE may show leniency but it's indeed against the law.

It's more than frowned upon, it's illegal, it's fraud.

+1

Checked with the Mods if thread encroached ToS violation.. didn't hear back, thus I assume the powers that be are content letting this go along.

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

It may be cheaper at some point to take elderly parents to countries like India or Egypt where quality private healthcare is abundant and, for those paying in US dollars, relatively affordable. Especially for costly procedures and expensive prescriptions.

Healthcare in the US is a mess whether you have "good" insurance or not.

What about Canada, I hear it's free there and it's just north of the border. OP, joking aside medical insurance is going to be very expensive for elderly parents coming to the US.

Edited by Umka36

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I know the F-word (fraud) is popular on this site and I try to avoid it. A finding of fraud requires proof of false and material representation. It also requires that a benefit was sought or granted, among other things.

We should strive to refrain from using it based on perceived interpretations of incomplete information people post on this forum.

If one must bring attention to potential illegality based on intent, posters would be better served if directed to the actual statute (214(b)) that refers to the presumption of immigrant intent.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.