sheanry

Admitted on using Marijuana once while in the US (in a state where recreational smoking is legal)

12 posts in this topic

Hello,

I took my medical exam today in Manila. My medical results was cleared (assuming because I got past immunization) but the results was put on hold because I admitted on using marijuana once when I visited Washington (where it's legal), last December 2015. They got my number and said they will call me after asking the US embassy on what to do with my case.

Any idea on what would happen to me? Did I violate any law, regarding illegal drug use? If yes, are they going to use it against me? My husband says not to worry, but I can't just wait for their call after reading all these posts about the one year ban and illegal drug use.

I'm pretty confident that I'm substance free as off the moment because of an annual mandatory drugtest for employees and a pre-employment test (from two different companies) I went through this year 2016, april and june to be exact.

Hello,

I took my medical exam today in Manila. My medical results was cleared (assuming because I got past immunization) but the results was put on hold because I admitted on using marijuana once when I visited Washington (where it's legal), last December 2015. They got my number and said they will call me after asking the US embassy on what to do with my case.

Any idea on what would happen to me? Did I violate any law, regarding illegal drug use? If yes, are they going to use it against me? My husband says not to worry, but I can't just wait for their call after reading all these posts about the one year ban and illegal drug use.

I'm pretty confident that I'm substance free as off the moment because of an annual mandatory drugtest for employees and a pre-employment test (from two different companies) I went through this year 2016, april and june to be exact.

If you're trying to immigrate then you broke federal law by smoking weed.

Even if it's legal in the state that you are smoking in, it's illegal federally, which is higher than state laws. If you break any FEDERAL laws, then there can be bans imposed on you making you unable to come into the US or apply for a new visa for at least a year.

Immigration is governed by federal law, breaking any federal law, even if it's legal in any state, can have consequences.

It'll be up to the CO, but most people end up with a year ban simply for admitting use (and admitting to breaking a federal law). I think I've only seen less than a handful in a year that didn't have anything held against them.

Either way, worrying won't help. They already know you've admitted to it. It'll be up to them if they want to hold it against you because they 100% can, their decision will probably be made before you even walk in for an interview.

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

No need to repost a thread, you can just report it to be moved to the right place or wait til someone does.

Again, as I posted on your first thread.

Even if it's legal in the state that you are smoking in, it's illegal federally, which is higher than state laws. If you break any FEDERAL laws, then there can be bans imposed on you making you unable to come into the US or apply for a new visa for at least a year.

Immigration is governed by federal law, breaking any federal law, even if it's legal in any state, can have consequences.

It'll be up to the CO, but most people end up with a year ban simply for admitting use (and admitting to breaking a federal law). I think I've only seen less than a handful in a year that didn't have anything held against them.

Either way, worrying won't help. They already know you've admitted to it. It'll be up to them if they want to hold it against you because they 100% can, their decision will probably be made before you even walk in for an interview.

While I don't want to say your husband is wrong by telling you to not worry (because it's what spouses do), but most USC's don't even understand the difference between federal and state law, and how they affect immigrants with their differences. You may want to explain to him the importance of why you should not be around ANY weed, at least until you become a naturalized citizen.

And as a note, if you move to Washington, I HEAVILY recommend you and your husband NOT partaking in smoking weed even if it's legal in your state. While rare, you don't want a random USCIS house check while ya'll are toking it up and YOU will be the one getting in trouble for it. Federally they generally ignore USC's use of weed in a state that has it legal as it's a waste of time to them, but they do NOT ignore a NON-USC's use of weed, they can just hand you over towards immigration, so it's a two birds with one stone kind of thing.

Edited by Ash.1101

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

Spoiler

Spoiler

06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

duplicate topics merged

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

While I don't want to say your husband is wrong by telling you to not worry (because it's what spouses do), but most USC's don't even understand the difference between federal and state law, and how they affect immigrants with their differences. You may want to explain to him the importance of why you should not be around ANY weed, at least until you become a naturalized citizen.

And as a note, if you move to Washington, I HEAVILY recommend you and your husband NOT partaking in smoking weed even if it's legal in your state. While rare, you don't want a random USCIS house check while ya'll are toking it up and YOU will be the one getting in trouble for it. Federally they generally ignore USC's use of weed in a state that has it legal as it's a waste of time to them, but they do NOT ignore a NON-USC's use of weed, they can just hand you over towards immigration, so it's a two birds with one stone kind of thing.[/background]

Thanks for the answers and advice. I will let him know about it. I honestly didn't know i was violating a law, the federal law, when I tried to puff. I was even confident in the medical interview that I only tried it because it was legal. But I already swore during that one time i tried that i will never try it again, it only gave me pain. Never again.

I really hope they let my honest mistake pass, and give me my visa without delay. It already hurts not being with my husband, hurts more after knowing I might be in hell for a year for being honest, and all the while thinking i didn't do anything wrong.

Learned my lesson (not knowing the law) and still keeping my faith, belief and principles together in one piece.

Best of luck to you and your family, I hope it goes well. While this is more than some people get, as some get to the interview and have a straight up denial, this could be a way for you to prove you not "addicted" or currently smoking weed and won't in the future.

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

Spoiler

Spoiler

06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.