Laleh

Proving domicile will be a problem for me...

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Tajikistan
Timeline

What is AP? I couldn't find it in the glossary.

By the way, does anyone know the answer to the question about the voting records? This part of my question:

I did vote. I am not sure how to find my voting records. I found some public records from the state of Florida (voters.findthedata.com). It shows my name and that I first registered in 2011, but it doesn't show that I voted in 2012 and 2016. Do I need something else?

Sorry if it's a really obvious question. My brain is completely fried for today.

Administrative processing. Basically you wait until they can grant or decide to not grant a visa. Essentially - limbo. If your husband may go through some mandatory AP as it is. A lot of people from that area of the world do, even if they interview in other countries.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Voting records can help, but since you have little other evidence of having remained domiciled in the USA, I don;t think they will count for a lot.

Much will depend on how picky the embassy is you are going through, so try to find some review from other VJ members who went through the embassy your husband will attend interview in.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nepal
Timeline

Are you planning on traveling home to visit? You could renew the drivers license and open a new bank account.

We applied from Nepal, and it wasn't a big deal at all. I printed out an email saying that I had a place in a master's program and a scholarship. I did have a bank account and a drivers license, but no income at the time.

Many states now require proof of residency before they will let you obtain a driver's license or state ID. I know Texas adopted this a few years back.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Many states now require proof of residency before they will let you obtain a driver's license or state ID. I know Texas adopted this a few years back.

Yep. I actually had some issues with this when I moved BACK to Texas after moving away. They wanted things like electric bill, lease agreement, car registration etc to do a DL. When my husband went for his DL, I had to sign an affidavit saying that he infact does live with me in Texas and he is a Texas resident but just doesn't have anything in his name because he just immigrated. I had to show them my car registration, car insurance, and Drivers license, to prove that the address of where he claims to live is the same address where I live at.

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Timeline

I have been living overseas with my husband for over 7 years. Actually, I've been living mostly outside the US for the last 10 years.

My driving license is expired
My bank account was closed (by the bank) several years ago because there was no money in it
My credit card expired (I never used it because I had no way of paying it off - since I had no US bank account)
No car or other property
I haven't paid state or local taxes, because we don't pay state taxes in Florida (I did pay federal taxes for 2014 and 2015 - in 2013 i was on maternity leave and had no income)
I am not applying for jobs because I will be a freelancer

I did vote. I am not sure how to find my voting records. I found some public records from the state of Florida (voters.findthedata.com). It shows my name and that I first registered in 2011, but it doesn't show that I voted in 2012 and 2016. Do I need something else?

My husband has applied for jobs in the US, but that doesn't prove that I'll be going with him, I guess. Although, obviously, why wouldn't I?

What else can I do?

We will be staying with my mom at first. Shall I ask her to write a letter saying so?

Thanks!

you did not mention the case type,main applicant and petitioner status.I got kinda domicile concern!but provide the mentioned questions" info then we may be able to help ya

Edited by Ryan H

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

It would ease your mind and be worth the money to make one plane trip back to Florida. Before that, ask your mother to put you on the electric bill.

Use the electric bill to get your Florida driver license again. They will issue to you on the spot.

Then have her add you to her car insurance. If you wanted to be safer, buy a beater car for $400 (they exist in Florida) and register it in your name and get minimum insurance on it. You could buy a $100 rowboat or dinghy too for that matter. Or a dirt bike.

Join a local civic club or two, get a library card, rent a room from your mother. Become a friend of the local animal shelter and the zoo.

Join a local church and get on their mailing list. You would be getting these things anyway when you move. What is the matter with getting them set up before you go?

When you first come back you probably will couch surf at your mother's house a week or two anyway.

Filed: Other Country: Tajikistan
Timeline

I wonder if I were to send in some job applications and use the correspondence as evidence as well...

Even if I don't intend to accept the jobs if offered (I might, though), maybe it could be something at least.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Croatia
Timeline

I wonder if I were to send in some job applications and use the correspondence as evidence as well...

Even if I don't intend to accept the jobs if offered (I might, though), maybe it could be something at least.

The more proof the better!

US Citizen Filing for Spouse - Married since January 2009, 2 Children

IR1 Visa - US Citizen living abroad, not DCF, Re-establishing Domicile, Joint Sponsor

12.April.2016 Filed I-130

22.June.2016 NOA1 (they entered my address incorrectly, therefore was not delivered until JULY)

07.Sept.2016 I-130 approved

07.Oct.2017 NVC welcome letter received

10.Nov.2016 Complete DS-261

10.Nov.2016 Payed AOS/IV Bill

19.Nov.2016 Complete DS-260

26.Nov.2016 Mailed AOS/IV Packet to NVC

29.Nov.2016 AOS/IV Packet Delivered to NVC

01. Dec.2016 Scan Date
13.Jan.2017 Checklist for  I-864 pages 10-12 BLANK FORM PAGES
02.Feb.2017 2nd Scan Date

14.April.2017 Case Complete (CC at exactly 10 weeks)

04.May.2017 Interview date scheduled/received email from NVC

10.May.2017 Medical
01.June.2017 Interview - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.