Itsabouttime

What is chance of getting my wife a tourist visa if not doing AOS in USA

73 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Congrats on the first part of your journey!   You probably have already left the Philippines and entered Guam (Welcome to the USA).  Would suggest before you leave Texas that you have multiple copies of our marriage proof whatever those might be.   I'm losing count of the number of times we've had to show that or thought we'd have to.  Clearly you won't have to show it USCIS any further and when my wife subsequently interviewed for her Tourist Visa she was prepared with all kinds of documents but the interview was very easy.  The officer pulled up her record saw that she had entered the USA on a K1 that she had previously applied for a tourist visa to the USA and was denied and then simply asked my wife what happened.  My wife explained we entered the USA on K1 knowing there was a chance to return to Hong Kong and that we got married and that I was offered a position in Hong Kong.  The response for the CO was, 'Thank you.... I'll be issuing your tourist Visa'   Since then my wife and I have returned to the USA for a two week vacation.  POE was Chicago,  I went thru the line with her and she was asked about her employment in Hong Kong,  She has since gotten a job and how long she planned to remain in the USA... She  was asked to show the ticket for the return flight and then advised that she should be sure to leave on the intended flight.  He then proceeded to stamp her Visa for 6 months...  We can't speak to what would have happened if she had not been employed but there was never any question to prove her employment or anything else.  So good luck on obtaining the tourist visa when you get back... I know we waited a bit when we returned to show that we really were back in Hong Kong and that we had the appropriate Residency stamps..  You may want to wait a month or so from when you return to the Philippines as well so you can show that you really have returned if questioned.

• 3 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you for sharing your timeline.  We married in Texas and have the original and ten certified copies of our marriage license.  We had booked roundtrip air tickets b4 leaving the PH and flew out of the USA on schedule on the 87th day after arriving at her POE in Guam.  While in the USA we went to a USCIS office for advice, applied for SSN, and got her medical clearance via the local health department indicating my now wife is cleared of TB.

I must say it was a great experience for all.  My wife immediately bonded with my mom, friends, and family.  Our plan is to visit the USA February through April each year, which is my turn to stay with my mom to provide family care.

After catching up here in Dumaguete she will apply for the tourist visa which will most likely happens in mid June, or approximately one month after our departure.  Lots of pics to back up our family ties.

In short, we did what we promised, her daughter was not part of the k-1, and everything is documented.

• 2 months later...
Timeline

Last update:. My wife had her tourist visa to the USA approved this morning.  :-)

CO asked just a couple questions:

1.  Why did you not do an AOS when married in the USA under the K-1.  Answer: My husband and daughter live in the Philippines, plus I attend school.   Showed copies of daughter's BC, my Philippines SRRV card, Philippines DL, our Philippines bank accounts.  

Why need a tourist visa:  Answer to travel with my husband to visit his family in the USA, and sightseeing.

In the consulate at 7:00am, done by 7:30am

Timeline
53 minutes ago, Itsabouttime said:

Last update:. My wife had her tourist visa to the USA approved this morning.  :-)

1.  Why did you not do an AOS when married in the USA under the K-1.  Answer: My husband and daughter live in the Philippines, plus I attend school.   Showed copies of daughter's BC, my Philippines SRRV card, Philippines DL, our Philippines bank accounts.  

Why need a tourist visa:  Answer to travel with my husband to visit his family in the USA, and sightseeing.

Outstanding!!!! :dance: 

That is great news!

Have a question on the SRRV, I will PM you.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

FYI: The B2 visa interview was on Monday July 31st and the 10 year multiple entry visa is in her hand on Wednesday Aug 2nd in Dumaguete City.

Super fast

Timeline
4 hours ago, Itsabouttime said:

FYI: The B2 visa interview was on Monday July 31st and the 10 year multiple entry visa is in her hand on Wednesday Aug 2nd in Dumaguete City.

Super fast

What was the delivery service, 2GO still?

Thanks

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

On 7/30/2017 at 6:18 PM, Itsabouttime said:

Congratulations to you both. That is what happens when you come there with all your ducks in a row.

Timeline
2 hours ago, cyberfx1024 said:

Congratulations to you both. That is what happens when you come there with all your ducks in a row.

Thank you!  CO asked to see my SRRV card and luckily she had one piece of paper that had both my old and new SRRV card, three PH Bank ATM cards, my PH dl, and bike registration on it.  CO smiled and handed it back to her?  Interview over.

I had forgotten to add my Philheath card.  

Timeline
10 hours ago, Itsabouttime said:

Thank you!  CO asked to see my SRRV card and luckily she had one piece of paper that had both my old and new SRRV card, three PH Bank ATM cards, my PH dl, and bike registration on it.  CO smiled and handed it back to her?  Interview over.

I had forgotten to add my Philheath card.  

You were loaded for bear!     :thumbs: 

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.