MelinaMurren

Denied for not submitting a passport style photo even though we did

58 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I received the notification that they received the RFE. I just checked and my photo is in line with the guidelines and the validator NigeriaorBust posted. attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Here is the photo...My biggest confusion is why they accepted my fiance's and not mine because they look exactly the same except with different people

Sorry to hear about your denial. If you sent in this exact photo it is absolutely not in line with the guidelines and they are pretty strict on those. Your photo is off in size and also slightly off in color. But the size is definitely a deal breaker here. I took a good pic off the guideline site and put yours next to it. You can see the difference (the pic needs to be square for starters) and where you went wrong if this is the pic you've sent in.

post-246837-0-69877400-1476285893_thumb.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline

looking at your pic the teeth showing could be labled as gesture , they dont want smiling in the passport pic , also the color tent is off , and the ears arent showing as everyone else mentioned , those 3 reasons would be why they denied it , its safe to go 2 by 2 or close as you can to 2 by 2 ,your length seems to be extremely long , so that could be an additional issue .

My passport photos have me smiling and my ears covered and it was no problem. You can smile in US passport photos and show teeth (no cheesy grins but normal smile okay).

I would lean more toward the fact that the photo is not square, and it is not with a white background.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

My ears aren't showing in any of my pics either. I'd also wager it's the yellow tint, size and possibly teeth showing.

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You have too much white space ( ok tan space) over your head , Your face has to be nearly the whole frame. Look at the face/shoulder blob in the validator and how is it most of the frame

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Timeline

We did a lot of research on the photos. The ears were 50/50 about whether was OK to show or not but we went with ears showing to be on the safe side. Looking at the picture I can tell right away the background color is wrong, the picture is not square and the face would probably not fit properly in a verification app given the size of the photo.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

My ears are covered in all my passport photos and that was never a problem. I did mine at a real photosgrapher's though, not with that odd yellow background you have there and my pics were 5*5 cm which is roughly 2x2 inches which they require (yours isn't).

Here in Sweden your facial expression is supposed to be "neutral" (ie no smiles or anything), I like America much better that way, you're actually allowed to smile on your passport and/or driver's license pics! Or maybe that's a state specific thing?

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Thank you so much for all of your help!!

I am thinking it might be that there is too much space above my head. However, the first picture I sent in had less white space (probably too much >.<) My fiance's photo was not square either and the background color was identical.

I made an appointment at the local office and plan to bring in these photos as well as another one which I will get taken at CVS or Walgreens and see whether they will reopen the case or what to do next.

I am thinking of submitting a motion to submit additional evidence with the new "perfect" photo. If anyone has any experience with submitting a motion it would be greatly appreciated!!

Again, thank you all so much

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

are you sure you were denied because of this? Is that what they told you? I have long hair in my passport that covers my ears, I've never heard of someone being denied because if that

Edited by mimolicious

Timeline

Yes @mimolicious, this is the only reason they provided for why we were denied. The letter said that they requested the photos but I did not submit them. I am not sure if they mean I did not submit a "proper" photo or if they just missed it altogether.

I did not know they would be so picky about this picture. I figure they need this mainly for purposes of identification. It seems absolutely unreasonable to deny the entire petition just because there is a little more whitespace above my head.

Yes @mimolicious, this is the only reason they provided for why we were denied. The letter said that they requested the photos but I did not submit them. I am not sure if they mean I did not submit a "proper" photo or if they just missed it altogether.

I did not know they would be so picky about this picture. I figure they need this mainly for purposes of identification. It seems absolutely unreasonable to deny the entire petition just because there is a little more whitespace above my head.

Yeah, it's possible that they just straight up aren't considering your photo a passport style photo. While it sucks they're being nit picky, I'd think in their mind that the instructions say the photo should be 2x2.

In comparison to what the other poster posted as his passport photo, it could also be that your face was too large in the picture. Your face from chin to hair line is only suppose to be about an inch according to the I-129F instructions.

Your photo is 2x2.7 inches, width x length, and your facial area is almost 1.4 inchs when it's suppose to be an inch. While .4 inches might not seem like a lot, it is a lot when the photos so small. All I did was put the ruler tool up on MS Paint to see the differences between the sample passport photo and yours.

I also don't think they're just for identification per se. I'm pretty sure they go in your file, and one thing the government likes about it's paperwork is for everything to be uniform. If they just needed it to go "oh hey, this is what this person looks like, now we know" they wouldn't ask for even more photo's at the AOS process. 6 in total if you do I-485, EAD and AP.

It could also be as something as simple as they don't want to have to waste their time cropping the picture once they scan it into the system. If say they scan it, and the system yells at them for the pic not being 2x2, they might just say, well I'm not doing that, and send an RFE.

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Timeline

These are the only instructions for the photo. And again, my fiance's photo was the same except his face was even bigger in the picture.

But your reasoning makes a lot of sense about needing everything to be uniform. Thank you so much for your help!! I will bring the "perfected" picture to the appointment and try to get it sent in.

post-246802-0-68990100-1476296146_thumb.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

These are the only instructions for the photo. And again, my fiance's photo was the same except his face was even bigger in the picture.

But your reasoning makes a lot of sense about needing everything to be uniform. Thank you so much for your help!! I will bring the "perfected" picture to the appointment and try to get it sent in.

In the K-1 guide (http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide) you find a link to the requirements for the photos USCIS wants.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/photos/photos.html

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

It's cheaper and faster just to refile. I-129Fs are going fast, I'd resubmit ASAP, honestly. You'd lose just as much time trying to reopen the case, and spend more money.

You said you sent two photos, one initially, and a new one with the RFE. Did they both look like this?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.