nikkimujj

Sending Evidence with AOS (I-485) after coming on K1

44 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Israel
Timeline

If you have pictures from your wedding that you can include, why would you not include them? You might as well share a few, it can only help, right?

In our AOS interview, the officer asked to see pictures from the wedding if we have them to show, and she also asked us to describe the day. The picture she was most interested in an put in my husband's file was the picture with me, him, and my parents. She was checking to see if the wedding meant something to us. We had a very small wedding (with like 20 people including us) and I didn't wear a white dress, it was not traditional.

She could tell that being married meant something significant to both of us. This is what you should be making very obvious to them.

K1 Visa

06-13-2015 - Engaged!

07-17-2015 - I-129F packet sent

09-02-2015 - NVC sent case to U.S. Consulate in Jerusalem, packet 3 sent via email

11-04-2015 - Interview (Approved!)

11-19-2015 - K-1 Visa in-hand

12-25-2015 - POE (Atlanta, GA)

AOS/Green Card

01-10-2016 - Got married

01-16-2016 - I-485/EAD application sent (same packet)

03-04-2016 - EAD card arrives in mail (successful expedite)

05-18-2016 - Received AOS letter with interview appointment

06-07-2016 - AOS Interview scheduled (Atlanta) - Approved!

06-15-2016 - Green Card in hand!

ROC

03-24-2018 - Mailed in ROC petition packet

03-27-2018 - NOA (packet received); 1-year extension

05-25-2018 - Biometrics

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

It is not a requirement but one should front load the application with as much evidence as possible.It will not hurt your application at all.The IO looking at your file will have less questions to ask during your Interview,if you will have one.The interview will go smooth as the IO already has all the information he/she needs.That is my opinion.Good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If you're applying for AOS from K-1 after being in the country for 90 days (or often less) then chances are you won't even HAVE most of the proof required to frontload the application. I couldn't go on our rental agreement as I had no credit to run and wasn't in the country when the lease was signed. I couldn't get the joint bank account until my SS# was through which was almost to the point I was applying for AOS anyway. I can't see that it makes any difference at all having the extra info as all the AOS needs is proof that you've got married within 90 days and are applying together. The big proof is going to be for the ROC when proving its bonafide and you've had time to build the evidence of a life together.

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

If you have pictures from your wedding that you can include, why would you not include them? You might as well share a few, it can only help, right?

In our AOS interview, the officer asked to see pictures from the wedding if we have them to show, and she also asked us to describe the day. The picture she was most interested in an put in my husband's file was the picture with me, him, and my parents. She was checking to see if the wedding meant something to us. We had a very small wedding (with like 20 people including us) and I didn't wear a white dress, it was not traditional.

She could tell that being married meant something significant to both of us. This is what you should be making very obvious to them.

It is not a requirement but one should front load the application with as much evidence as possible.It will not hurt your application at all.The IO looking at your file will have less questions to ask during your Interview,if you will have one.The interview will go smooth as the IO already has all the information he/she needs.That is my opinion.Good luck.

There's no such thing as frontloading an AOS application. You're either (randomly) selected for an interview, or you're not. At the interview you'd still have to bring all the documentation they ask (and you're more likely to have some financial co-mingling and more pictures a few months down the line from the wedding). I'm not saying it hurts the application to add it, but please don't give anyone the impression that it will help the application either. It will not.

Edited by A'n'L

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Timeline

There's no such thing as frontloading an AOS application. You're either (randomly) selected for an interview, or you're not. At the interview you'd still have to bring all the documentation they ask (and you're more likely to have some financial co-mingling and more pictures a few months down the line from the wedding). I'm not saying it hurts the application to add it, but please don't give anyone the impression that it will help the application either. It will not.

Oh! so you are working for the USCIS and know everything going on inside? I sent our wedding pics,lease agreement,wedding shower pics,greeting cards,proof of me being an authorized user on her credit card,pics of me with her family and pics of our vacation together in the USA. The interview was very easy "the IO stated-you have already given enough proof and the case is very easy" further he said "thanks for making my job easy" and he never asked for any other proof.I am not giving OP some bad advice. I don't know why some people are here to criticize others,guess they have a need to feel superior.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Oh! so you are working for the USCIS and know everything going on inside? I sent our wedding pics,lease agreement,wedding shower pics,greeting cards,proof of me being an authorized user on her credit card,pics of me with her family and pics of our vacation together in the USA. The interview was very easy "the IO stated-you have already given enough proof and the case is very easy" further he said "thanks for making my job easy" and he never asked for any other proof.I am not giving OP some bad advice. I don't know why some people are here to criticize others,guess they have a need to feel superior.

No, but I read the I-485 instructions and have read the experiences of users on this forum. Nowhere do they ask for relationship evidence, and it's just as likely to be approved without interview without sending relationship evidence as it is with sending it.

Do whatever you want, but I'm just keen to make sure that nobody thinks that sending all of that will give them any advantage.

There's no need to attack my person over a disagreement btw.

Edited by A'n'L

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Timeline

Hi everyone!

My husband and I are getting ready to send off our AOS package and we were confused about which evidence to include. It seems that we don't need to send any evidence of our wedding or marriage at this point, but we really feel that we should include something. We've read a lot of posts about people receiving RFEs after filing for AOS, and we're wondering if that's connected to evidence of marriage, or just errors on the form. We were thinking of including some evidence about the actual wedding (photos, maybe some rental contracts) and leaving the financial comingling for the interview. What did everyone else send along with the AOS? If you received an RFE, what for?

Thank you so much!

When my husband and i went trhour the aos process we included the cetificate of marriage. and once we sent it out in our waiting process we collected evidence like some people said in this forum there is not a for sure their will be an interview. We actually were one of the "LUCKY" people that had and interview, we had evidence but we as well received an RFE at interview for more evidence so my advise to you is collect as much proff as possible as case is pending. (joint bank account, pictures, bills on both names etc.

K1 approved 06/13/2013

AOS approved 02/12/2014
ROC approved 09/14/2016

DIVORCED 01/10/2020

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Oh, anecdotal... we all have that kind of 'evidence and proof'.... I will add mine then.

We sent nothing extra with the I-485, had an interview, and guess what? It was super easy, took about 5 minutes, and we were not asked for a single thing. No co-mingling evidence, no co-habitation, and not even a photo of our wedding. Nothing. My husband was approved on the spot, and had his green card in hand 8 days later.

So, just because you sent in extras that were not needed, and your IO made those comments to you does not mean it is a fact that everyone needs to send in marriage evidence that is not asked for in the I-485 instructions. IF someone gets an interview, they can take the evidence asked for in the interview letter. It will be needed, or it won't. Depends on the case and the IO. If you bring what is asked for, most likely you would have a pretty easy interview and be approved too. Most K-1 interviews are short and painless, even when the IO asks for something else to be provided before approval. If you do not add in extras, you can still be approved without interview too. Check out various reviews and timelines.

Also, pointing out facts is not criticizing, or a need to feel superior. It is simply pointing out facts.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Oh, anecdotal... we all have that kind of 'evidence and proof'.... I will add mine then.

We sent nothing extra with the I-485, had an interview, and guess what? It was super easy, took about 5 minutes, and we were not asked for a single thing. No co-mingling evidence, no co-habitation, and not even a photo of our wedding. Nothing. My husband was approved on the spot, and had his green card in hand 8 days later.

So, just because you sent in extras that were not needed, and your IO made those comments to you does not mean it is a fact that everyone needs to send in marriage evidence that is not asked for in the I-485 instructions. IF someone gets an interview, they can take the evidence asked for in the interview letter. It will be needed, or it won't. Depends on the case and the IO. If you bring what is asked for, most likely you would have a pretty easy interview and be approved too. Most K-1 interviews are short and painless, even when the IO asks for something else to be provided before approval. If you do not add in extras, you can still be approved without interview too. Check out various reviews and timelines.

Also, pointing out facts is not criticizing, or a need to feel superior. It is simply pointing out facts.

Same here. Didn't send anything else other than the copy of the certified marriage certificate, had an interview and was not asked for any documents, proof... the interview was basically the yes and no questions from the i485 form.

Timeline

As I said earlier "it is not a requirement". I would take the words of a Immigration Officer more seriously than anyone else. Just because you didn't send evidence and got approved easily doesn't mean every case is simple like yours or mine. I stated the facts and I stated what the IO felt about sending in the evidence in advance. I think it makes their work little easy and maybe save their time, I dunno.But it will not hurt anyone's case to send in whatever evidence they have.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Just seems suspicious that an American caucasian woman married a Muslim Pakistani man that she met on foreign travels to Europe. Be prepared to be scrutinized at the 485 interview because it's a common trend for men from Pakistan, Turkey, Egypt, and Morocco that hunt for White American girls to marry so they can escape their country. I take it you're not Muslim or have converted so be prepared to be asked a lot of questions at the interview.

My husband and I did not meet on foreign travels, but were both living as residents in Germany at the time. We are, however, very well aware of how our relationship will be scrutinized because of his country of origin.Thankfully, our process has gone very smoothly so far, and no one has asked about our religion.

OP,

To answer your original question "What did everyone else send along with the AOS?" here's what my husband sent:

• G-1145
  • Payment in the amount of $1070.00.
  • I-485 with accompanying documentation:
    • Photocopy of the biographical page of his Brazilian passport
    • Photocopy of the K-1 visa page of his passport
    • Photocopy of I-797, Notice of action from U.S. spouse’s I-129F Petition
    • I-94
    • Photocopy of his birth certificate and translation
    • Original marriage certificate (The instructions say a photocopy is acceptable, but we had seen other cases on VJ where an RFE was issued because an original was not sent, so we decided not to risk an RFE and sent an original)
    • Two passport-style photos
  • G-325A and Supplement: Applicant’s employment last 5 years
  • I-693 with a photocopy of DS-3025 (He needed a flu shot to complete his immunizations)
  • I-864 with accompanying documentation:
  • Photocopy of U.S. spouse’s birth certificate
  • Photocopies of U.S. spouse’s IRS tax transcripts for the previous 3 years
  • A letter of employment from U.S. spouse’s employer
  • Photocopies of U.S. spouse’s Statement of Earnings for the last 6 months
  • I-765 with accompanying documentation:
  • I-131 and Supplement: Part 7. Complete Only If Applying for Advance Parole
    • I-94

We did not receive an RFE, and our case was forwarded to California for processing--we never had an I-485 interview.

Hope this helps.

Good luck in your journey!!

Thank you so much for the comprehensive list!! This is a great help to us :)

10/06/2014: Met in Germany

10/24/2015: Engaged in Barcelona 

11/16/2015: I-129F Sent

11/27/2015: NOA1 Electronic Copy

12/04/2015: NOA1 Hard Copy

01/08/2016: NOA2 Electronic Copy

01/18/2016: NOA2 Hard Copy

01/19/2016: NVC Receive (approx.)

01/22/2016: Left NVC

01/25/2016: Got case # over the phone

02/18/2016: Package 3 Receive

02/25/2016: Sent documents to embassy (Frankfurt)

03/15/2016: Interview: APPROVED!

03/17/2016: Visa Issued

03/19/2016: Visa in hand!

08/28/2016: POE New York JFK

10/01/2016: Married! (L)

Don't send them anything they don't specifically ask for in the instructions. I really don't see the point in sending them a ton of irrelevant information they will most likely toss into the nearest trash can. They may even be slightly annoyed, but who knows. I know I would be annoyed with people who refused to follow instructions if I had to comb through hundreds of packages each and every week.

Make sure, however, you bring lots of evidence to the interview.

Edited by leroyleviticus

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Ok so there are opinions both ways. Some feel it's good and beneficial to send relationship evidence. Some feel it's unnecessary and a waste of time.

I think we can all agree that the guide does not list it in the list of needed AOS documents. We can have our own viewpoints and experiences. Doesn't make anyone right or wrong. OP now has plenty of advice and can make a decision from there.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

We received an RFE for AOS because I had failed to send the hard copies of my last 3 year tax returns. I had put the amounts only, and they said I didn't meet the

200% poverty line. I work for state government and am well beyond the necessary required income. I submitted the RFE with the last 3 year tax returns as well as my bank statements. They received August 29, 2016. Our case is still pending.

My wife was approved for EAD on Sept 12, applied for SSN, and is now applying for employment.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Austria
Timeline
    • Original marriage certificate (The instructions say a photocopy is acceptable, but we had seen other cases on VJ where an RFE was issued because an original was not sent, so we decided not to risk an RFE and sent an original)

How will you get the Original back? I thought that was a no-go?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.