nikkimujj

Sending Evidence with AOS (I-485) after coming on K1

44 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi everyone!

My husband and I are getting ready to send off our AOS package and we were confused about which evidence to include. It seems that we don't need to send any evidence of our wedding or marriage at this point, but we really feel that we should include something. We've read a lot of posts about people receiving RFEs after filing for AOS, and we're wondering if that's connected to evidence of marriage, or just errors on the form. We were thinking of including some evidence about the actual wedding (photos, maybe some rental contracts) and leaving the financial comingling for the interview. What did everyone else send along with the AOS? If you received an RFE, what for?

Thank you so much!

10/06/2014: Met in Germany

10/24/2015: Engaged in Barcelona 

11/16/2015: I-129F Sent

11/27/2015: NOA1 Electronic Copy

12/04/2015: NOA1 Hard Copy

01/08/2016: NOA2 Electronic Copy

01/18/2016: NOA2 Hard Copy

01/19/2016: NVC Receive (approx.)

01/22/2016: Left NVC

01/25/2016: Got case # over the phone

02/18/2016: Package 3 Receive

02/25/2016: Sent documents to embassy (Frankfurt)

03/15/2016: Interview: APPROVED!

03/17/2016: Visa Issued

03/19/2016: Visa in hand!

08/28/2016: POE New York JFK

10/01/2016: Married! (L)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

You need to include a copy of your certified marriage certificate, but that's all. In fact, many get approved without interview with just the basic package when adjusting from K1 (since the validity of the relationship was already established during the visa phase).

Most RFE's are related to the affidavit of support (missing documentation or filled out wrong), or other errors in the forms.

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

If you review some past posts in the AOS forum you will see that some people are including a few wedding photos, some joint bank account info, health/auto/life insurance policies, etc. anything with both parties listed together works.

Edited by LionessDeon

Timeline

Sure, some choose to do that - but nobody ever got an RFE for not sending any of that. It also doesn't give you any benefits to do so.

I never said that you would get an RFE if you didn't.

Some VJers have the personal opinion that it helps secure a waived interview.

The OP stated she knows it's not necessary but wants to. It doesn't hurt anything if they want include these items. Many have. Many haven't. It's a personal choice.

Timeline

I never said that you would get an RFE if you didn't.

Some VJers have the personal opinion that it helps secure a waived interview.

The OP stated she knows it's not necessary but wants to. It doesn't hurt anything if they want include these items. Many have. Many haven't. It's a personal choice.

It won't, and I don't think we should continue spreading false rumors.

K1 process

AOS process:

ROC process:

Timeline

It won't, and I don't think we should continue spreading false rumors.

Did you read my post? False rumors?? I said some VJers believe it helps.

We are allowed to post our personal opinions. I never said it was fact. Jeez.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi everyone!

My husband and I are getting ready to send off our AOS package and we were confused about which evidence to include. It seems that we don't need to send any evidence of our wedding or marriage at this point, but we really feel that we should include something. We've read a lot of posts about people receiving RFEs after filing for AOS, and we're wondering if that's connected to evidence of marriage, or just errors on the form. We were thinking of including some evidence about the actual wedding (photos, maybe some rental contracts) and leaving the financial comingling for the interview. What did everyone else send along with the AOS? If you received an RFE, what for?

Thank you so much!

Just seems suspicious that an American caucasian woman married a Muslim Pakistani man that she met on foreign travels to Europe. Be prepared to be scrutinized at the 485 interview because it's a common trend for men from Pakistan, Turkey, Egypt, and Morocco that hunt for White American girls to marry so they can escape their country. I take it you're not Muslim or have converted so be prepared to be asked a lot of questions at the interview.

10/1/2011 - OPT to H1b

11/5/2015 - Got married to wife (USC)

03/7/2016 - AOS package receipt

04/6/2016 - Biometrics completed

07/6/2016 - EAD card received

9/17/2016 - Notice of interview at USCIS San Francisco office received

10/20/2016 - Date of AOS interview CR1 at USCIS San Francisco office

10/26/2016 - Conditional Green Card Received

Timeline

Just seems suspicious that an American caucasian woman married a Muslim Pakistani man that she met on foreign travels to Europe. Be prepared to be scrutinized at the 485 interview because it's a common trend for men from Pakistan, Turkey, Egypt, and Morocco that hunt for White American girls to marry so they can escape their country. I take it you're not Muslim or have converted so be prepared to be asked a lot of questions at the interview.

They have already showed the genuinity of their relationship at the K1 interview. They won't be scrutinized any harder than other K1 adjusters in case of an interview.

Are you a K1 adjustee also? Could you please fill in your timeline for the benefit of tte community?

Edited by A'n'L

K1 process

AOS process:

ROC process:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

How do you know they will even have an interview? Also, their timeline shows he interviewed for his K-1 in Germany, so he apparently was not in need of escaping Pakistan.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

​Hi we received an RFE for a copy of his birth certificate and it's translation if necessary. We only sent in the copy of marriage license as proof of marriage. it's really at the interview where you would need to have the proof of legitimate marriage. Rental agreement, joint bank account, utility bills, car insurance, and name change for myself on drivers license, SS#, and passport is what we have prepared. We also have pictures of us and family at various times. Hope this helps.

​Hi we received an RFE for a copy of his birth certificate and it's translation if necessary. We only sent in the copy of marriage license as proof of marriage. it's really at the interview where you would need to have the proof of legitimate marriage. Rental agreement, joint bank account, utility bills, car insurance, and name change for myself on drivers license, SS#, and passport is what we have prepared. We also have pictures of us and family at various times. Hope this helps.

Hi everyone!

Thank you so much!

OP,

To answer your original question "What did everyone else send along with the AOS?" here's what my husband sent:

• G-1145
  • Payment in the amount of $1070.00.
  • I-485 with accompanying documentation:
    • Photocopy of the biographical page of his Brazilian passport
    • Photocopy of the K-1 visa page of his passport
    • Photocopy of I-797, Notice of action from U.S. spouse’s I-129F Petition
    • I-94
    • Photocopy of his birth certificate and translation
    • Original marriage certificate (The instructions say a photocopy is acceptable, but we had seen other cases on VJ where an RFE was issued because an original was not sent, so we decided not to risk an RFE and sent an original)
    • Two passport-style photos
  • G-325A and Supplement: Applicant’s employment last 5 years
  • I-693 with a photocopy of DS-3025 (He needed a flu shot to complete his immunizations)
  • I-864 with accompanying documentation:
  • Photocopy of U.S. spouse’s birth certificate
  • Photocopies of U.S. spouse’s IRS tax transcripts for the previous 3 years
  • A letter of employment from U.S. spouse’s employer
  • Photocopies of U.S. spouse’s Statement of Earnings for the last 6 months
  • I-765 with accompanying documentation:
  • I-131 and Supplement: Part 7. Complete Only If Applying for Advance Parole
    • I-94

We did not receive an RFE, and our case was forwarded to California for processing--we never had an I-485 interview.

Hope this helps.

Good luck in your journey!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.