Johnny620

Several question and should I marry her oversees .. Or try for a K1

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi I'm Johnny from Nashville , I've fell in love w a woman in Cebu .. Flew there and spent 20 days with her .. Met her friends and family, We have a very real relationship , and I I've already planned my next trip to Cebu Ph

I want to K1 visa her here , but in my past 10 years ago , I was a man victim to a lot of domestic violence . Filed for a divorce , and the day she was served w divorce papers , she got a order of protection... Never notified me of this , so Even though I did nothing other than try and protect my self and calm her down , I have a 10 year old domestic violence on my record... Big mistake on my part for not getting police involved before this happen .. I'm a very laid back, non violent, happy type of person , but because of this I took a no contest plea for probation , and lost everything in the divorce , very unfair domestic laws here in Tennessee.

Everything I have read says I qualify for a K1 , except my record might get me turned down ... The police report is a very one sided story that makes me out to be a horrible person .. When I was actually the victim

Also over 20 years ago , when I was only 18 I gave a kid a ride who stole things from another kid at night ... So because of that I have an old felony , I learned my lesson , did probation ... And became a much better person because of it

And also about 20 years ago when I was about 20 ... There's an old assault charge guilty plea, that I don't even remember what it was ... But it wasn't domestic charge , it was just an assault

Questions ,

1. Should I try anyhow for a K1 ? Or Just marry my soon to be wife there ? And go for a Cr1 ? Spouse visa ??? Which one is more likely to be approved for me ??

2. rapid visa , should I use rapid visa , or just finish my forms myself and send them in .. With lots of relationship proof and explanation of the domestic assault ??

3. Should I find a good lawyer?? And get them to handle it all for me ..

Thank you ,

Johnny

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Did your ex "just" get an order of protection, or were you actually convicted of domestic violence?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Convicted of it , I took a no contest plea( no admission of guilt). to avoid possible jail time , because jail , would have cost me everything including my business .. And my livelihood

Timeline

Did your ex "just" get an order of protection, or were you actually convicted of domestic violence?

Sexually bias domestic laws here ... All men are Convicted , it almost always happens in Tennessee even when the man is the victim of abuse ... he is always convicted if the soon to be ex wife wants to be awarded all his assets , Something I learned the hard way , always get order of protection when to file for a divorce against a violent wife ....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Ah I heard similar before, unfortunately. First, make sure your fiance knows absolutely everything about your past, dates, what the exact thing you were convicted of is (even if it isn't true, or sounds worse than what actually happened), because she definitely will be asked about it at interview.

CR-1 may be better, both because of this issue and so her family and friends back home can see her getting married. Plus it is cheaper. However, I'd likely do a couple of free consultations with immigration lawyers and see what they think first.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Yes, cr1 seems like it might be easier to get approved for me, a few things make it less desirable for me , it takes a little longer , and once married over in Cebu ph, they don't have legal divorces there in ph , so if our relationship fails ... I'll never be able to marry another from Ph , and any prenump I get maybe won't be legal here ... The advantages, are .. more likely to be approved , and after she's here , she won't ever be able to ditch me later to marry another man from back home... And her family will love to see our wedding ... But either way we can do a ceremony there . W a K1 and then a real legal marriage here ., The K1 I really want to do for the easy out and quicker to have her here ...

If anyone else has advise , I'd love to hear about it .... But only real issue I see w cr1 is the no legal divorce in the Ph .. So once we marry , I'll need the visa so much more ... And being committed before I see how well she likes it here in Nashville , any how lots to think about.... Has anyone w a domestic assault conviction ... on here been approved for K1 if so I'd like to hear about it

Johnny...two things...

1. If you and your Cebuana ever get divorced, you absolutely will be able to marry another Pinay.

2. Your Cebuana absolutely will be able to ditch you in the U.S.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.