secoooooo

3 rejections, 4th interview in 2 days, please help

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello guys, here is my experience with B1/B2 visitor visa in the US embassy – Cairo:

I got rejected 3 times so far

I am a dentist and finished my internship in last November. I had booked an NBDE – 1 exam (that is only held in the US and Canada and is the 1st step in equivalency process).

travel history: born and raised in the UAE (till age of 18), then only traveled to another gulf country in the last 5 years.

marital state: single

my total income: 4600 EGP (approx 470USD)

my brother (sponsor) income: 80,000 USD per annum

1st trial:

My parents and I had booked an appointment as a family.
Our plan was for me to write the exam, and then go on a tourist journey for 2 weeks. Our only issue that my dad (he is retired and has his own business) where he deals with cash most of the time not using his bank account, so there is not much deposits or withdrawals on the account.
So we deposited around 12,000 USD and issued (Final Credit certificate) from the bank instead of a bank statement.
here is some of the interview:

VO: why are you having this exam?
ME: I was born and raised in the UAE, so I am planning to boost my CV by having NBDE examinations in order to get back to work in the Gulf.

VO: have you traveled as a family before?
ME: other than to the UAE, only to Saudi Arabia.

VO: what do you work?
ME: I am a dentist with 2 jobs, the first is in the public sector (ministry of health) and the second is in a private dental practice. My total individual monthly income was 4600 EGP

VO (turned to my dad and spoke in Arabic): what do you work?
DAD: I am retired, worked as (…) in the gulf, now own my business.

VO: total income?
DAD: around 20,000 EGP monthly.

We got rejected because she said:

-the final credit is not showing monthly income (unlike the bank statement), she also misunderstood that the credit is all what my dad has got (not just the amount of money deposited for travel expenses), and said that we're going to spend half of this money in this journey.

- we haven't traveled abroad as a family together before (despite the fact that we lived abroad for around 2 decades).

- she said my plan was built on getting back to a gulf country, while she needs a plan based on getting back here to home country! (which I find weird, as their concern should be to ensure I am not staying in the US, regardless of my destination out of US soil)

She was very aggressive and never gave us the chance to explain.

2nd trial:

It was around a week after the 1st appointment.
VO was really nice, listened to whatever I needed to explain.
She did a lot of typing on the computer, asked her colleague (VO next to her) about something during the interview.

things I changed:

- we altered our plan and I applied alone this time, and travel period was supposed to be 1 week only.
- This time I said I am having the exam also to improve my CV, but not to go to a Gulf country, but instead to have a good reputation and compete better in the market (as competition is tough among private dental practices) as I am a future faculty staff member (demonstrator) and that would enhance my CV. I changed my plan based on last VO rejection.

this time felt closest to approving, but after a lot of typing: she REJECTED the visa.
the only comments she made:

- Bank account is "current" not "investment" type, and that I DIDN’T GET!,
- "no enough ties". She answered my question about why I was rejected.

3rd trial: that was around 2 months after second appointment.

things I changed:

- I had my brother (living abroad, working as a sales manager in an international company) sponsor me, introduced his very good bank statement and letter of sponsorship.

- Reasoning behind me having the exam was almost the same as second appointment, except I added that my faculty would not grant me a scholarship, so I am doing these exams on my own expense.

She was also really nice and polite, but rejected me as well.

ME: may I know the reason of the rejection?
VO: its written in the paper.

ME: yeah bnut these are just general reasons, why specifically was I rejected? Was it a financial reason?
VO: no financially its okay, but there might be no enough ties.
ME: I had documents you didn’t ask me to show any (I had my car and my apartment documents).
VO: Its okay I have the profile, and its mostly social ties, sorry I have the next candidate.
----------------------------------------------------------

Now my 4th interview is after 2 days, the reason why I am applying again and again is because I paid for the exam and its going to expire in 11 days if you don’t show up in the exam and its nonrefundable.

things I added this time:

- I booked a conference on the same date of exam but extending 2 to 3 days after it, and had it's invitation letter.

- I got a paper showing I am in the process of being a faculty staff member.

what do you think I can do differently this time?

your input is highly appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

It seems really odd that there's an important dental examination held in two countries where it will be hard for a lot of people to get visas to take them? Oh wait, because it seems like that's for dentists who want to work/study in the US. Right?

You should never pay or anything or buy tickets for a country in which you do not have a visa to yet (unless it's refundable.) That's just general common sense for any country when you're planning your trip. That includes exams, universities, etc....just because you paid for fees/services in that country doesn't automatically guarantee a visa.

Edited by millefleur

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Timeline

Wow.

I can smell your desperation to enter the USA just by reading your post.

I am sure you dont actually need to do any exam in the US to do your job in your home country.

okay, regardless of you being mean to answer in this way, instead of coming up with something useful, I HAVE MY REASONS:

I booked for a non-refundable exam as I didn't see these difficulties in obtaining the visa coming, that's hands down a mistake,. But thats why I re-applied 2 times because exam is going to expire.

Besides, who said I wouldn't be able to do my Job here?, It's fair for everybody to boost their CV , except for potato couches of course,

Timeline

You seem desparate to go to the US. They don't believe you will return.

Your brother can't sponsor you.

thanks for your reply

It's just my exam is going to expire and thats why im re-applying, I'm not doing it without an URGENT reason.

I am sorry is this a guess or an info, that my brother can't sponsor me? as I know he can as long as he provides sponsorship letter.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

thanks for your reply

It's just my exam is going to expire and thats why im re-applying, I'm not doing it without an URGENT reason.

I am sorry is this a guess or an info, that my brother can't sponsor me? as I know he can as long as he provides sponsorship letter.

It's a fact. No one can sponsor you for a visitor visa. It has to be on your own merits.

You have a job but what else would make you return to your home country? That's the way they look at it, they don't care about any exam you change it with the family trip and then exam and your brother "sponsor" you which he can't but also shows family in US

Timeline

It seems really odd that there's an important dental examination held in two countries where it will be hard for a lot of people to get visas to take them? Oh wait, because it seems like that's for dentists who want to work/study in the US. Right?

You should never pay or anything or buy tickets for a country in which you do not have a visa to yet (unless it's refundable.) That's just general common sense for any country when you're planning your trip. That includes exams, universities, etc....just because you paid for fees/services in that country doesn't automatically guarantee a visa.

thanks for your reply.

well, let me tell you sth, These examinations add up to your CV out of the US, esp in the gulf countries in the middle east, So, even If I had the chance, in a completely legal manner, to pursue university their for equivalence later on, that DOES NOT, BY ANY MEAN, REPRESENTS AN ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION OR PROCEDURE. It's my money that I pay for THEIR schools. But it's just not that easy to get accepted into schools there so there's got to be plan B after all.

More than one of my friends did these examinations, and they're still here in Egypt.

My point from the post was not to justify why im going, but to see if anyone has a suggestion other than giving up.

Timeline

It's a fact. No one can sponsor you for a visitor visa. It has to be on your own merits.

You have a job but what else would make you return to your home country? That's the way they look at it, they don't care about any exam you change it with the family trip and then exam and your brother "sponsor" you which he can't but also shows family in US

I got 2 jobs, house,car and most importantly: two parents to take care of.

my brother is not in the US, he is in Kuwait.

I did say that I have an exam from day one, so i didn't "change" my 1st reason, It was supposed to be along with the family trip.

again, thanks for your concern.

I got 2 jobs, house,car and most importantly: two parents to take care of.

my brother is not in the US, he is in Kuwait.

I did say that I have an exam from day one, so i didn't "change" my 1st reason, It was supposed to be along with the family trip.

again, thanks for your concern.

Timeline

thanks for your reply.

well, let me tell you sth, These examinations add up to your CV out of the US, esp in the gulf countries in the middle east, So, even If I had the chance, in a completely legal manner, to pursue university their for equivalence later on, that DOES NOT, BY ANY MEAN, REPRESENTS AN ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION OR PROCEDURE. It's my money that I pay for THEIR schools. But it's just not that easy to get accepted into schools there so there's got to be plan B after all.

More than one of my friends did these examinations, and they're still here in Egypt.

My point from the post was not to justify why im going, but to see if anyone has a suggestion other than giving up.

My guess is that since the exam is mainly for people who want to work/study in the US, they just simply don't trust that your ultimate goal is tourism/visitor.

I can see how a CO would interpret that as intent to immigrate. Adding US-required credentials to your foreign CV and then telling them it's merely for boosting your CV in your home country sort of doesn't add up to the (already skeptical) CO's. They are trained to reject everyone who seems like they aren't just going over for a quick vacation romp/temporary business conference....sometimes having "set plans" outside of tourism/conferences (like yours) hurts your chances even more.

I know it's lame, but this is just how it is. Plenty of people on this forum have had family members' tourist visas rejected (including me) and we just learn to deal with it. There often is little we can do to overcome the skepticism of the CO's. :crying:

Spoiler

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Spoiler

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Timeline

My guess is that since the exam is mainly for people who want to work/study in the US, they just simply don't trust that your ultimate goal is tourism/visitor.

I can see how a CO would interpret that as intent to immigrate. Adding US-required credentials to your foreign CV and then telling them it's merely for boosting your CV in your home country sort of doesn't add up to the (already skeptical) CO's. They are trained to reject everyone who seems like they aren't just going over for a quick vacation romp/temporary business conference....sometimes having "set plans" outside of tourism/conferences (like yours) hurts your chances even more.

I know it's lame, but this is just how it is. Plenty of people on this forum have had family members' tourist visas rejected (including me) and we just learn to deal with it. There often is little we can do to overcome the skepticism of the CO's. :crying:

Yeah I guess you're right, nothing much we can do about it :(

do you think telling them that "my plans are the same, but If I got a chance to pursue dental school in the US, I will", will make things worse or better?

Timeline

Yeah I guess you're right, nothing much we can do about it :(

do you think telling them that "my plans are the same, but If I got a chance to pursue dental school in the US, I will", will make things worse or better?

From my experience, the more information you tell them about your intentions/plans in the US, the higher the chance of rejection for a visitor visa. The general feeling I get is that they issue tourist visas only to people who just want to have a fun vacation in the US (or are going for a specific business trip with beginning and end dates) and basically have no interest in the US other than that specific trip.

You can always keep applying, but the chances seem very slim for a visitor visa. You might want to start looking into any other possible visa options if you want to take the exam/study. I don't have any experience with said visas, you can try posting in the "What visa do I need" forum here, maybe other users might know more about such things.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Timeline

OH, I forgot to add: what was the reason for the rejection? I'm assuming you you a 214(b)? They give out grey pieces of paper here with that number and an explanation for the rejection.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Timeline

OH, I forgot to add: what was the reason for the rejection? I'm assuming you you a 214(b)? They give out grey pieces of paper here with that number and an explanation for the rejection.

yes exactly, it was 214(b)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.