Jump to content

Packet 3 documents and Previous passports

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts


My husband and I just filed i-130 petition in Bangkok. In preparation of the next steps, I have a few questions:

1. Previous passports:

According to their website, I (applicant) will be requested to bring all previous passports (especially US visa pages) in 'original' form at the time of interview. But I have disposed of my past passport that had my US visas and entry records, and I am not sure how they will accept this. Here's how it's written on the website:

Applicants should present all previous passports or submit police reports for any lost or missing previous passports or U.S. visas, particularly passports containing other U.S. visas or that were used to travel to the United States.

-> What kind of document should I bring in place of my old passport?

-> If I bring a simple record issued by a government office that lists all past passports (numbers and validity date only), would that suffice?

-> Do I have to be able to tell them exact entry/exit dates?

2. Birth certificates:

Copy of birth certificate is listed as prerequisite in the Packet 3 document. But my country does not issue official birth certificates. I looked on the internet and they seemed to be saying that combination of 'Basic certification' and 'Family relations certification' will replace the birth certificate.

-> Is this true?

-> In this case, do the documents have to be translated into English and notarized?

3. Marriage certificate:

We have already submitted our marriage certificate that's been translated and notarized with the submission of i-130. But they seem to be asking the same document for the packet 3 submission.

-> I have a copy of our marriage certificate but I don't have official/notarized translation for this. Do I need to get one for this purpose?

We thank you so much for your kind answers in advance.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Never heard of that before.

This sentence is for K type visa as far as I concerned, so there is nothing to do with CR/IR type visa, therefore you don't need to worry about that.

And, I lost my passport on which had my F1 student visa and J1 visitor visa so i don't have my old passport any more, don't even mention police report or something. If you lost something, there is impossible to cal 911 to get a police report right? It doesn't make any sense.

So don't worry too much about that.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw this on the Bangkok embassy website for IV type appointments:


This mentions that you need to bring previous passports or police reports for lost/stolen passports. I don't know about there, but in the UK you are supposed to report a lost or stolen passport to the police and obtain a reference number. Obviously not by calling our equivalent of 911 but by calling the desk during office hours. It's so that the passport can be recorded as void if someone tries to use it.

Did you send a copy of the marriage certificate for the I-130? You are only supposed to send copies for that stage and bring originals to the interview. Can you get another certificate in time?

****moved from "CR-1 spouse visa process and procedures" to "DCF" as this is the route the OP is taking***






Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.