MR-RA

HOUSEHOLD SIZE AND JOINT SPONSOR

4 posts in this topic

Good day fellow VJers!

So here's my story, I went back here in the US last April 2016 before I went back here I got married to my husband who is a Filipino living in the Philippines. We were in a relationship since college since we both took up Nursing. Now he already passed the NCLEX and a registered nurse in the United States while I'm still reviewing for the NCLEX since I failed.

My concern is that, my sister who is also in the Philippines had her petition (F2B) approved. since I do not have work yet my parents decided they will be my joint sponsor. I just would like to know who should my parents include as dependent or the total number of household. Should we have a household size of 5 (me, my mom and dad, my husband whom I filed a petition, and my sister who got her case granted) or a household size of 4 (me, my parents and my wife) only and another separate household size of 4 for my sister? And would my parents income be sufficient for the 3 of us (me, my husband and sister) since we're all dependent to them except for my husband who can probably work as a nurse when he get here in the US. My dads income is above the poverty line of 5 household and my mom is willing to co-sponsor.

Thank you in advance to those who can help enlighten me with our case ?

If your sister got sponsored by your parents, she is counted in their household until she becomes a US citizen.

Since you are a US citizen, you are not normally counted in your parent's household unless you are financially dependent on them (ie they claimed you on their taxes).

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

"If your sister got sponsored by your parents, she is counted in their household until she becomes a US citizen.

Since you are a US citizen, you are not normally counted in your parent's household unless you are financially dependent on them (ie they claimed you on their taxes)"

I am still dependent on my parents since I still do not have work. Does that mean we're a household size of 5?

Edited by MR-RA

hi

did they declare you in their taxes as their dependent? if so, then yes you are counted

and as for your sister, it depends on when she was petitioned, the wait for an F2B is 10 years, so if she has a long ways to go, then she is not counted now, but she will need an affidavit of support in the future

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.