Indian Girl

US citizen but working temporarily overseas... (merged)

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Hello friends,

I need your help, experience, advices regarding my case -

I am a 30 year old Indian woman who is in relationship with an American man, who is 53 years old.

He is a pilot and worked in India for many years. We met in March 2013 in Delhi, in a mall. We liked each other and got along very easilly. We met each other pretty much everyday. His contract then expired and in May 2015 he went on to working in Burma so we can still stay close by and visit each other, whenever possible. (He lives in Burma now).

He is going to visit me in few days. We love each other and want to get married. He is going to US in March to visit his parents and want to file Fiancé visa for me.

(I am all single. He was married once but got divorced around 10 years back. Nonce of us has any kids).

Now my questions are :

(1) Will our age gap be an issue during the Interview ? (Man is older by 23 years)

(2) Will the Interviewer care if my parents approve this relation or not ? Does it affect my chances of getting visa?

(Because my parents dont approve this relation because of the difference between culture, religion and age between us).

I will be very thankful and grateful to your replies.

Thank you in advance!

Filed: Timeline

Hello friends,

I need your help, experience, advices regarding my case -

I am a 30 year old Indian woman who is in relationship with an American man, who is 53 years old.

He is a pilot and worked in India for many years. We met in March 2013 in Delhi, in a mall. We liked each other and got along very easilly. We met each other pretty much everyday. His contract then expired and in May 2015 he went on to working in Burma so we can still stay close by and visit each other, whenever possible. (He lives in Burma now).

He is going to visit me in few days. We love each other and want to get married. He is going to US in March to visit his parents and want to file Fiancé visa for me.

(I am all single. He was married once but got divorced around 10 years back. Nonce of us has any kids).

Now my questions are :

(1) Will our age gap be an issue during the Interview ? (Man is older by 23 years)

(2) Will the Interviewer care if my parents approve this relation or not ? Does it affect my chances of getting visa?

(Because my parents dont approve this relation because of the difference between culture, religion and age between us).

I will be very thankful and grateful to your replies.

Thank you in advance!

I know many cases like you,with the age gap like you.As you say,you got plenity of time together and i think you have no problem.You dont need to your parents approval at all.But you will face many questions regarding your relation and about how much you know each other.Go on and dont worry.

Your age difference shouldn't be a problem.

However, you say he is going to the US in March to visit his parents and wants to file a K-1 for you. Is he moving back to the USA from Burma? A K-1 is for living in the US, not visiting.

Also, he will need to move very quickly if he wants to have your visa in hand in time for March.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

1 is unlikely to be a problem.

2. Should not be a major issue, as long as they KNOW you are getting married/ are married; ie don't like to your parents, because if the consular officers investigate and ask your parents about the relationship, and they say "Oh, no they are not married" that could be a problem.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Your age difference shouldn't be a problem.

However, you say he is going to the US in March to visit his parents and wants to file a K-1 for you. Is he moving back to the USA from Burma? A K-1 is for living in the US, not visiting.

Also, he will need to move very quickly if he wants to have your visa in hand in time for March.

Timeline

Well he is a US citizen. He will be considered as a resident because he has US driving license, he files his taxes in US and owns property there.

He is a pilot by profession and don't have the jobs of his profile currently as he is trained on the type of planes which are more used overseas. So he works overseas on contract basis and moves to another country for job when he gets a better job or the contract of the current job expires.

So, I think he can file K1 visa for me as a petitioner. But yes, I also had the same question that I will be asked about his overseas stay during the Interview because he doesn't actually live in US for now.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Why don't you live with him in Burma.K 1 is for living in the USA with your fiance and then get married within 90 days in the US,apply for AOS and live there.He does not live in USA now so why do you need K 1?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Why do you want to move to the US?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

No such thing as a US driving license; they're issued by states, and licenses mean little to US immigration.

He lives in Burma, why not apply for a Burma visa instead so you two can live together. What would you do in the US if your fiance\spouse lives in another country?

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Him living in Burma now is fine, but at interview time, you will need to prove that he intends to live in the USA before or at the same time you enter. Also, after you marry you will not be able to travel at all for about 3 months, and even then you will need to spend the majority of your time inside the USA, and he should live with you to get AOS and later ROC approved.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Well we wanted to go for K1 visa because we wanted to get married in US. His family is there and they approve us. So, it would have been nicer to have at least his parents to be present at our wedding.

Since my Fiancé doesn't live in India and my family doesn't approve our relationship so we will have a hard time marrying here and getting a marriage certificate because government is slow as well as they are not so used to of cases where one of the spouse is a foreigner.

My fiancé doesn't live in Burma for long time. His contract is for 6 months ... It can or can't get reviewed so accordingly he may continue to work in Burma or move to another country after getting job offer from that country.

Also, another reason was, he eventually of course want to come back to US. It may take few years because currently no job opening for his profile. So, I wanted to be able to travel with him, to go and come to US with him whenever we wanted. And I think for that, I will need Green Card too because I don't think I can travel with him on visitor visa.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

GC is for living in the US, not wanting to at some point in the future.

B2 would be all you need to marry in the US.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

we will have a hard time marrying here and getting a marriage certificate because government is slow as well as they are not so used to of cases where one of the spouse is a foreigner. No. Plenty of Indians marry foreigners, govt is very used to it. Just ask my spouse! Marriage certificate is easily available; again, just ask my spouse.

Also, another reason was, he eventually of course want to come back to US. It may take few years because currently no job opening for his profile. So, I wanted to be able to travel with him, to go and come to US with him whenever we wanted. Green card is for permanently living in the US, not for "whenever we want". Get married in Burma\India if takes "few years" to for hubby to live in the US.

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

You don't need to do a very expensive K-1 visa to get married in the USA unless you intend to live there immediately following the wedding. It is perfectly possible to marry there as a tourist and then leave after the wedding to return to your home country or wherever your husband will be working by then.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline

Hello Sir/ Ma'am,

I need your help in our case. I am an Indian girl (30 yrs old), living in India and in a relationship with an American citizen (52 yrs old). He is a pilot by profession. He lived in India for few years and that's when we met (in a mall).

We met in March 2013 and since then we met each other almost everyday (in person) until May 2015 when his job contract in India ended and he got another job in Myanmar.

We love each other and now want to get marred but we don't know how. We can't get married in India because the overall process is complicated and my parents are against this marriage. If we do the court marriage in India, the court sends a notice to parents here, which I don't want because I don't want my parents to know about it as they will try to stop me.

My boyfriend doesn't have a fixed job. He moves from 1 country to another for Job purpose as he is a contract pilot.

He is an active US citizen. He owns a Home in US, he has driving licence and files his yearly Taxes in US. He goes to US at least once a year to visit his parents who live in California. His parents are happy with our relation.

Now, my question is - We want to get married in US but how do we proceed with it ? As he is an active citizen (frequently visits US, files his taxes there, owns home and will go back to live in US full time after few more years being in his Job), but for now, as he is working overseas on contract basis, for few months and from one country to another, can he file a Fiancé Visa for me ?

He can of course get time off from his work and we can get married in US. So, we want to know the procedure and that, can he apply fiancé Visa for me ?

Looking forward to your kind replies. Thank you in advance :)

Please note : He is working overseas only Temporarily. He is under no rigid contract or any kind of obligation. He is simply working in other countries because pay is better and so are the job offers. So, he can work in any country as long as he wants and then go to some other country to work temporarily if he gets the job.

I am mentioning it to avoid any confusion between long term overseas commitment and short term overseas work on contract basis. He is very much a US citizen and not bound to any other country.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.