rinman0777

We are apart want to be together

8 posts in this topic

My fiancee and I have known each other for 6 years, however in April we decided we wanted to move forward with our long friendship. I went back earlier this month and we spent 10 days together and officaially are engaged. I am unsure what process he/we need to file to move him here. He also has an 8 year old son that we would like to get here. Do we get married first; Is the Fiancee visa the best option or the Green Card. There are so many options that I am unsure where to begin. Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks so much

Roxie

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

what is best for you guys only you can answer. It depends on a lot.

K-1/K-2 visa is fastest but he will not be able to work/leave the country for about 90 days after you file for adjustment of status (Green Card).

He will be your fiancé and you have to marry within 90 days from his arrival. This process takes about 4-6 months right now.

CR-1/CR-2 here you marry first and then apply for the visa. He can work and travel right away and will get Green Card when he gets there, this process takes about a year.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

Also the mother will have to give permission for the child to immigrate to the US

Edited by Georgia16

Are you a USC OR AN LPR??

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

As Georgia stated read the guides and research the pros and cons of the visa types. Select the one that is best for your particular situation.

The guides also give all the needed info on how to apply.

Thank you Georgia for the valuable information. When you say he will not be able to work/leave the country for 90 days once we file, are you saying once we file for the K1 he can't continue working in the Dominican or once he is here, married and we file for the Green Card. From everything i've read, I believe the K-1 visa would be our best option. It's all so confusing as far as what to do next. I think I understand that once i begin the process for the K-1 he cannot travel(which is fine, he only has a passport and wouldn't be able to come here without some type of visa) . Will I be able to visit him while this process in ongoing? Also, I am US citizen, I think someone asked me that, maybe not you though. Again, any guidance, advice is helpful as I'm still trying to navigate through all the information.

what is best for you guys only you can answer. It depends on a lot.

K-1/K-2 visa is fastest but he will not be able to work/leave the country for about 90 days after you file for adjustment of status (Green Card).

He will be your fiancé and you have to marry within 90 days from his arrival. This process takes about 4-6 months right now.

CR-1/CR-2 here you marry first and then apply for the visa. He can work and travel right away and will get Green Card when he gets there, this process takes about a year.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

Also the mother will have to give permission for the child to immigrate to the US

No, it means he will not be able to work or travel or maybe even get a drivers license for 3 months or more until he gets his green card. He can continue working in the DR until he migrates to the US.

If you do the spousal visa he can start work the day after he sets foot in the US. This is why many people think the spousal visa is better than the fiance visa.

You can certainly visit during either process.

And like Georgia16 mentioned he will need the permission of his son's mother to bring him her. And be sure to include the son in the petition regardless if he comes with your fiance or not.

But you really should read the guides here and possibly search some topics.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the information. We are going to go with the K-1/K-2 process. My biggest obstacle right now is making sure he gets all the information needed. I speak a little spanish and his english is pretty good. He works at a resort and utilizes english daily. He is from a small, poor city in the DR and I'm having problems with him getting a mailing address plus I will need him to send me a photo and I need to send him documents to complete and sign. Do have any idea or suggestions especially since I've heard the mail is slow and he might not get it once I mail it to him. I've already been there twice this year but we just decided on going forward with this process once I returned. I want to get this paperwork submitted so we can get him and his son here. I've known him for 6 years we just hadn't taken the relationship further until this year. Any help or guidance you have would be greatly appreciated.

No, it means he will not be able to work or travel or maybe even get a drivers license for 3 months or more until he gets his green card. He can continue working in the DR until he migrates to the US.

If you do the spousal visa he can start work the day after he sets foot in the US. This is why many people think the spousal visa is better than the fiance visa.

You can certainly visit during either process.

And like Georgia16 mentioned he will need the permission of his son's mother to bring him her. And be sure to include the son in the petition regardless if he comes with your fiance or not.

But you really should read the guides here and possibly search some topics.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Thank you Georgia for the valuable information. When you say he will not be able to work/leave the country for 90 days once we file, are you saying once we file for the K1 he can't continue working in the Dominican or once he is here, married and we file for the Green Card. From everything i've read, I believe the K-1 visa would be our best option. It's all so confusing as far as what to do next. I think I understand that once i begin the process for the K-1 he cannot travel(which is fine, he only has a passport and wouldn't be able to come here without some type of visa) . Will I be able to visit him while this process in ongoing? Also, I am US citizen, I think someone asked me that, maybe not you though. Again, any guidance, advice is helpful as I'm still trying to navigate through all the information.

He can work and travel doing the K-1 process it's when he enters he can't leave the country until he gets AP and he can't work until he gets EAD both takes about 90 days to get from when you file the papers for the green card after marriage.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.