Swarn

Consequences of visa denial under section 221g

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

How did the embassy know about your Christian marriage? Did you provide evidence of that marriage during the petition and application process?

And did the consular officer advise your wife to apply for a CR-1 instead?

the government can find out anything, they don't need to be told. That's why they do background checks.

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Thank you everyone for your time, support and valuable answers. Thanks again for answering so quick. This website is probably The Best.

My wife will visit me soon then we will try to get the marriage registered.

God will take control of our situation. All Glory goes to him.

Edited by Swarn

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

the government can find out anything, they don't need to be told. That's why they do background checks.

I know, but was asking to determine whether OP was up front about it or had tried to hide it...which would have affected the next petition.

My Convoluted Story (see my profile for more details)
Jun 2009 - Met on Facebook
Mar 2010 - Visited Morocco for the first time, got engaged
Dec 30, 2011 - Wedding in Morocco (5th visit)
I-130/CR-1 (first time around)
31 Aug 2012 - Priority Date (Vermont, transferred to NBC)
31 Dec 2012 - NOA2
27Jul 2013 - Broke up/Separation (while waiting for case complete at NVC)
9 Jan 2014 - Filed for divorce in US (never completed)
4 Apr 2014 - USCIS NOIR
May 2015 - Reconciliation
Nov 2015 - Vacation together in Spain (7th in-person visit with each other)
I-130/IR-1 (second time around)
4 Feb 2016 - Priority Date
19 Apr 2016 - NOA2

17 May 2016 - NVC Case Number Assigned

31 May 2016 - Sent AOS/IV package to NVC

5 Jul 2016 - NVC Case Complete

10 Aug 2016 - Medical Exam

25 Aug 2016 - Interview - APPROVED

1 Sep 2016 - Husband picked up his visa

Husband POE'd @ IAD - 5 November

Thank you everyone for your time, support and valuable answers. Thanks again for answering so quick. This website is probably The Best.

My wife will visit me soon then we will try to get the marriage registered.

God will take control of our situation. All Glory goes to him.

You and your wife need to take control of your situation. Local governments in India are notorious for hassles and runarounds, leading to bribes. As a foreign national, your wife may need a notarized affidavit from the US embassy attesting that she is\was free to marry; some local governments may ask for this affidavit before registering your marriage.

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

You and your wife need to take control of your situation. Local governments in India are notorious for hassles and runarounds, leading to bribes. As a foreign national, your wife may need a notarized affidavit from the US embassy attesting that she is\was free to marry; some local governments may ask for this affidavit before registering your marriage.

You are absolutely right about the government officers and police they don't work until you pay to them. I have been to this situation many times and had to pay bribe.

We have the affidavit from the embassy. We took it before our wedding.

I tried to register our marriage in the court. And in this country there is different law for Christian, Muslims, or 2 parties with different religions. This law is special marriage act. They have made it so complicated and 90 days long procedure and they ask bribe at every step. i have been through it and such a hassle.

First you have to go to the sub divisional magistrate ( SDM ) office and get the form. The Clerk took me outside the room and asked me 2000 Rs for just accepting the application...like he is going to provide certificate immediately. I gave him 500 Rs, He said what is this you are giving to me, an uncle was with me as a witness. He said give him more satisfy him otherwise he will create problem, then i gave him another 500 Rs.. in a hope that he will favor us and do things quickly.

1) You have to make 6 copies of this form. In every form we had to attach documents mine and my wife. including both of us affidavits on a stamp paper that we are married and wants to register, No objection letter from her parents, Embassy affidavit, and her visa and passport etc.

2). Court Notice in the news paper.

3). Police came for the verification. Police officer said to me do you know there is a fee to verify this application ( he was asking bribe ). He asked me details and he asked 1000 Rs. I gave him only 200 Rs. after bargaining.

4) Then Local Intelligence Unit officer came. She was a lady. She didn't not ask anything but i am sure you wanted that too.

5) Then an officer from Local administrative office ( Tahsil ) came. By that time my wife already left India. He was trying to find errors, to get money then he said we need to see your wife then only we will approve this application. When it is enough that anyone either husband or wife should be present at home to verify. I didn't give any money to him. He left with an unhappy face.

Then after few days a man came to my house in the evening and said your application is laying pending, we can get it approved if you give 5000 Rs. I refused to give money. He created a negative report for us.

I didn't give money because I realized that my wife can't be available at the time of certificate issuance which is 90 days from the day we submitted application. SDM wants both husband and wife available to sign the papers. She got the new job after returning from India and it was not possible for her to come back immediately.

So, I ended up no where with that special marriage act.

There is Hindu Marriage Act in this country for Hindu religion and it is much easier and simple.

It is all corruption in India...

This is the reason why we couldn't register our marriage at the court and she couldn't file a Spousal visa petition.

Then she was advised to file a Fiance petition from an incompetent lawyer....

Edited by Swarn

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.