Krissyb93

What should my husband expect at his visa interveiw? (We may have red flags).

52 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Krissy - make your story as human as possible. Are his parents in favor of this marriage? Were they from the first? If so, then say this. If they were NOT in favor at first, be sure your story talks about how you came to win them over.

Be prepared to talk about how you met. If you talked on Skype for two years, describe how your friendship went from friends to partners. Tread carefully in the religious arena. You can certainly say that you know and respect the customs of your husband's family, but I think "he wears a turban because his family wants him to", and "I am an agnostic" are things to keep close to your chest unless pushed.

You may certainly talk about how important it was for you to visit in person before committing to marriage.

I happen to believe that love wins out in the end. The fact that you are there with him is a HUGE plus. The fact that you live with his family is also a huge plus.

Believe! And good luck!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Airline tickets show you went there, and now twice, correct? Those are important. They questioned my hubby at interview the exact dates that I arrived and left Kosovo. They also questioned him a lot because of our age difference (I'm quite a bit older). They never asked anything about religion. We had lots of pictures with family and tons of chats. We also met online and married on our first meeting. I went back to visit a second time because it was taking so long. Airline tickets and time spent together and meeting family are really important. Money transfers and affidavits, not so much.

Yes twice now. By airline tickets do you mean boarding passes? I don't have my original boarding passes from my first visit here, but I can probably print a copy out from my email, will that work?

March 11th 2015: We got married! (L)

July 15th 2015: I-130 petition sent to Chicago filing center

July 17th 2015: NOA1, petition forwarded to Nebraska

July 21st 2015: NOA1 Hard copy received

January 5th 2016: Petition approved!

January 14 2016: NOA2 hardcopy received

January 14th 2016: Case sent to Dept. of State

February 2nd 2016 : received NVC welcome letter along with case and invoice number

May 11, 2016: DS-261 completed and AOS fee paid

May 19th 2016: Immigrant visa fee paid

July 6th 2016: DS-260 completed

July 8th 2016: Our AOS package was received

August 13th 2016: AOS package review complete and visa interview scheduled for Sept 27th 2016!!!

September 21st 2016: Hubbys medical exam

September 27th: APPROVED!

Timeline

Krissy - make your story as human as possible. Are his parents in favor of this marriage? Were they from the first? If so, then say this. If they were NOT in favor at first, be sure your story talks about how you came to win them over.

Be prepared to talk about how you met. If you talked on Skype for two years, describe how your friendship went from friends to partners. Tread carefully in the religious arena. You can certainly say that you know and respect the customs of your husband's family, but I think "he wears a turban because his family wants him to", and "I am an agnostic" are things to keep close to your chest unless pushed.

You may certainly talk about how important it was for you to visit in person before committing to marriage.

I happen to believe that love wins out in the end. The fact that you are there with him is a HUGE plus. The fact that you live with his family is also a huge plus.

Believe! And good luck!

Sukie in NY

Very good ideas. Should I write all of this in a statement for my husband to take to his interview?

February 2nd 2016 : received NVC welcome letter along with case and invoice number

August 13th 2016: AOS package review complete and visa interview scheduled for Sept 27th 2016!!!

Hello everyone (:

My husband's visa interview is in about a week at the Mumbai consulate and we're super nervous! I think our relationship may bring up some red flags for the following reasons, and I just want to help my hubby prepare for them as best as possible. 1. We married our first time meeting. We talked for 2 years before I came to India to meet my husband in person, and we got married the next month. I've heard this may bring up a red flag. Another problem is my husband has been denied for a visa before, a student visa. He was unable at the time to prove his ties to India, so we're also worried about that. The last is he doesn't currently have a job. His family wanted him to visit them for a month in another state before he leaves for the US, so he didn't really have a choice but to quit. What's the best way we can prepare for this? What questions might they ask? Does this give us less of a chance of getting a visa?

Thank you for your time!

i hear you, good news is that you guys going to be okay.

Should I write all of this in a statement for my husband to take to his interview?

No! Your husband should be comfortable communicating your relationship to the interviewing officer. The interview will be about HIM.

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Timeline

As far as the job, have him bring pay stubs or proof of income payment so they can see he worked until he didn't - to go visit family.

Is a job going to be something they bring up though? I'd rather not remind them if they aren't going to bring it up.

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline

Is a job going to be something they bring up though? I'd rather not remind them if they aren't going to bring it up.

I'm not sure - just be very transparent about everything and it won't hurt for him to carry in a portfolio of documents in the event he needs to show them anything. If they don't ask and he doesn't feel that it needs to be addressed then don't show it. I'm not expert - this is just my thinking.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I do not think you need to worry about getting married after meeting him for the first time.However, people from Punjab(Sikhs) have committed the most Visa Frauds,they will do anything to settle abroad and the Consulates in India are aware of that and therefore are strict with them during the Visa Interview.But that doesn't mean everyone from Punjab is same.Since you guys are already married I don't think there is going to be any issue.Prepare very well and make sure he is confident in answering.Best of luck.

Timeline

Am I allowed to go to the interview with my husband?

Timeline

Hello (:

My husband and I are currently printing out chats and emails as proof of courtship for his interview. Does the embassy want to see the actual emails or just that that we sent/received emails to/from each other over a period of time?

If I were you I would ask this question in the regional forum of India. Each location usually has some questions that are standard and are often asked... That also goes for the question whether you can attend the interview. That's a country specific question. However I think it always is a good sign if you are there for the interview even if you can't attend it but have to wait outside. It's a common question when the last time was that the person saw his/her significant other. Good luck!

Edited by Californiansunset

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

They are I interested in content. Not for every e-mail, bit to prove that you have a loving relationship

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Actually there are more interested in conversations that a married couple would have instead of lovey dovey messages. Serious topics that show that you participate in each other lives and support each other e.g. Family issues (mother's illness), related work things etc.

Oh and you don't have to print out every email. Apart from the fact that it's seen as minor evidence (primary is boarding passes, passport stamps of seeing each other, secondary are pictures, the least important are chat logs, emails etc.) you just have to print out some that show you talk on an ongoing basis.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.