Krissyb93

What should my husband expect at his visa interveiw? (We may have red flags).

52 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Hello everyone (:

My husband's visa interview is in about a week at the Mumbai consulate and we're super nervous! I think our relationship may bring up some red flags for the following reasons, and I just want to help my hubby prepare for them as best as possible. 1. We married our first time meeting. We talked for 2 years before I came to India to meet my husband in person, and we got married the next month. I've heard this may bring up a red flag. Another problem is my husband has been denied for a visa before, a student visa. He was unable at the time to prove his ties to India, so we're also worried about that. The last is he doesn't currently have a job. His family wanted him to visit them for a month in another state before he leaves for the US, so he didn't really have a choice but to quit. What's the best way we can prepare for this? What questions might they ask? Does this give us less of a chance of getting a visa?

Thank you for your time!

March 11th 2015: We got married! (L)

July 15th 2015: I-130 petition sent to Chicago filing center

July 17th 2015: NOA1, petition forwarded to Nebraska

July 21st 2015: NOA1 Hard copy received

January 5th 2016: Petition approved!

January 14 2016: NOA2 hardcopy received

January 14th 2016: Case sent to Dept. of State

February 2nd 2016 : received NVC welcome letter along with case and invoice number

May 11, 2016: DS-261 completed and AOS fee paid

May 19th 2016: Immigrant visa fee paid

July 6th 2016: DS-260 completed

July 8th 2016: Our AOS package was received

August 13th 2016: AOS package review complete and visa interview scheduled for Sept 27th 2016!!!

September 21st 2016: Hubbys medical exam

September 27th: APPROVED!

Dont worry about the denial at my k1 interview one ladies fiancee was denied 3 times a tourist visa.

;) relaxx

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Is this an arranged marriage?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Qatar
Timeline

Dear Boiler what does arranged Marriage different love one, is there issue for such cases where marriage was arrange marriage?

Edited by Abdirashi

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Would make sense of the situation.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hello everyone (:

My husband's visa interview is in about a week at the Mumbai consulate and we're super nervous! I think our relationship may bring up some red flags for the following reasons, and I just want to help my hubby prepare for them as best as possible. 1. We married our first time meeting. We talked for 2 years before I came to India to meet my husband in person, and we got married the next month. I've heard this may bring up a red flag. Another problem is my husband has been denied for a visa before, a student visa. He was unable at the time to prove his ties to India, so we're also worried about that. The last is he doesn't currently have a job. His family wanted him to visit them for a month in another state before he leaves for the US, so he didn't really have a choice but to quit. What's the best way we can prepare for this? What questions might they ask? Does this give us less of a chance of getting a visa?

Thank you for your time!

Well, my husband and I had a similar situation when he interviewed last year at the New Delhi embassy.

We had met online and had been together for over 3 years before I was able to travel to India to meet him (due to my age at the time that we met). I was a college student when I went to meet my husband, so that was really my only chance to be able to go over there to visit him. We decided to get married while I was there, and that took place towards the end of my trip there (I was there for a total of 2 months).

The only issues at the embassy that we had was that they felt like it was odd that his parents were so accepting of me since I am Caucasian and that they were accepting of me staying in their home with him while we were unmarried.

We ended up with a 221(g) and had to submit more evidence (even though they did not look at any of the evidence that my husband brought to the interview). Originally, my husband had taken all of our chat logs from email, FB, WhatsApp, etc. along with two huge photo albums of pictures of us together, screenshots of our Skype Chats showing the date and duration of the Skype Call, ticket stubs/itineraries showing my trip to India along with the trips we made around India and to Dubai as well. As said, they never looked at it at the interview. So whenever he submitted the evidence in response to the 221(g), he submitted all that PLUS WhatsApp conversations I had with his parents, aunt, and cousin (to show that they are accepting of the relationship), a complete photocopy of my entire passport showing date entry stamps, two affidavits from each of his parents, a detailed long affidavit that I wrote talking about our relationship (one from me and one from him too). I am sure that there is more that we submitted, but I cannot remember at the time because it was a while back.

After submitting all that, he was approved for his visa within like 2-3 days. So, it is hard to say exactly what will happen at the interview. I hear that the New Delhi embassy is harder than the Mumbai one. However, I am unsure how true that is. Plus, we had had some issues in dealing with the embassy in regards to his visa before the interview. And my husband told me that the Indian CO brought it up to him at the interview and seemed angry that he had to answer the emails that I had sent to the Embassy trying to get some clarification on the problems we were having (we had been bounced back in forth between NVC, USCIS, and the Embassy in regards to our visa). So, it is likely that he may have given him a hard time due to that.

Best thing to do is to be prepared and have evidence to back everything up. You should be fine.

Flags are what they are.. address them, can't change em; any religious dissimilarities or a significant age gap may come up.

Might be helpful to join him at the interview if you haven't revisited in the 18-mos since the wedding. He should carry relevant set of evidence of a bonafide marriage and continuing relationship.

Edited by KierenHby

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I think folks have given you good advise..Just tell him to keep his job until he has a visa in hand.

I know it can be exciting that interview is coming up but leaving his job before he gets his visa is risky.

Last year after my fiance (now husband) first interview, we were so sure he would get approved. Had he quit his job, he would be jobless now.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Timeline

Is this an arranged marriage?

No not in the slightest. Before we met in person we discussed the idea of marriage if the chemistry was as strong as it was while we skyped ect. It turned out to be even stronger when we met so we decided to get married.

February 2nd 2016 : received NVC welcome letter along with case and invoice number

August 13th 2016: AOS package review complete and visa interview scheduled for Sept 27th 2016!!!

Timeline

Flags are what they are.. address them, can't change em; any religious dissimilarities or a significant age gap may come up.

Might be helpful to join him at the interview if you haven't revisited in the 18-mos since the wedding. He should carry relevant set of evidence of a bonafide marriage and continuing relationship.

I'm here in India now. I went back home for 10 months to get the visa thing started and to take care of some things. There isn't a significant age gap however he is Sikh. He doesn't practice or believe any of it, but he wears turban to please his parents. I'm agnostic.

Timeline

Well, my husband and I had a similar situation when he interviewed last year at the New Delhi embassy.

We had met online and had been together for over 3 years before I was able to travel to India to meet him (due to my age at the time that we met). I was a college student when I went to meet my husband, so that was really my only chance to be able to go over there to visit him. We decided to get married while I was there, and that took place towards the end of my trip there (I was there for a total of 2 months).

The only issues at the embassy that we had was that they felt like it was odd that his parents were so accepting of me since I am Caucasian and that they were accepting of me staying in their home with him while we were unmarried.

We ended up with a 221(g) and had to submit more evidence (even though they did not look at any of the evidence that my husband brought to the interview). Originally, my husband had taken all of our chat logs from email, FB, WhatsApp, etc. along with two huge photo albums of pictures of us together, screenshots of our Skype Chats showing the date and duration of the Skype Call, ticket stubs/itineraries showing my trip to India along with the trips we made around India and to Dubai as well. As said, they never looked at it at the interview. So whenever he submitted the evidence in response to the 221(g), he submitted all that PLUS WhatsApp conversations I had with his parents, aunt, and cousin (to show that they are accepting of the relationship), a complete photocopy of my entire passport showing date entry stamps, two affidavits from each of his parents, a detailed long affidavit that I wrote talking about our relationship (one from me and one from him too). I am sure that there is more that we submitted, but I cannot remember at the time because it was a while back.

After submitting all that, he was approved for his visa within like 2-3 days. So, it is hard to say exactly what will happen at the interview. I hear that the New Delhi embassy is harder than the Mumbai one. However, I am unsure how true that is. Plus, we had had some issues in dealing with the embassy in regards to his visa before the interview. And my husband told me that the Indian CO brought it up to him at the interview and seemed angry that he had to answer the emails that I had sent to the Embassy trying to get some clarification on the problems we were having (we had been bounced back in forth between NVC, USCIS, and the Embassy in regards to our visa). So, it is likely that he may have given him a hard time due to that.

Best thing to do is to be prepared and have evidence to back everything up. You should be fine.

I have a ton of emails, and conversations. One thing I'm worried about is I got a new computer and it completely erased all of our Skype messages from when we first started skyping, that was probably the best evidence we had for the courtship ):

I think folks have given you good advise..Just tell him to keep his job until he has a visa in hand.

I know it can be exciting that interview is coming up but leaving his job before he gets his visa is risky.

Last year after my fiance (now husband) first interview, we were so sure he would get approved. Had he quit his job, he would be jobless now.

Unfortunately he already left it.

Timeline

I'm just trying to figure out what extra pieces of evidence we can gather to help offset the red flags our case may bring up. So far I have lots of conversations, some Skype logs, PayPal receipts where he sent me money after we were married and I went back to the us for some time, pictures of us together, pictures of us/me with his family, 2 affidavits from my grandparents and one from his brother (whom we live with). What else can I include?

I'm just trying to figure out what extra pieces of evidence we can gather to help offset the red flags our case may bring up. So far I have lots of conversations, some Skype logs, PayPal receipts where he sent me money after we were married and I went back to the us for some time, pictures of us together, pictures of us/me with his family, 2 affidavits from my grandparents and one from his brother (whom we live with). What else can I include?

Those are good sets of evidence, though the affidavits are hardly considered evidence. Those paypal transfers could be questioned. Why would he be sending you money? The devil's advocate in me, the CO, could view the money he sent you as attempts to buy himself a green card. The rest looks good.

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Timeline

Those are good sets of evidence, though the affidavits are hardly considered evidence. Those paypal transfers could be questioned. Why would he be sending you money? The devil's advocate in me, the CO, could view the money he sent you as attempts to buy himself a green card. The rest looks good.

He was sending me money because he's my husband and I was jobless. I've seen alot of people advise including PayPal, western union, ect slips.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kosova
Timeline

Airline tickets show you went there, and now twice, correct? Those are important. They questioned my hubby at interview the exact dates that I arrived and left Kosovo. They also questioned him a lot because of our age difference (I'm quite a bit older). They never asked anything about religion. We had lots of pictures with family and tons of chats. We also met online and married on our first meeting. I went back to visit a second time because it was taking so long. Airline tickets and time spent together and meeting family are really important. Money transfers and affidavits, not so much.

XMY93gI.jpgXMY9m5.png

AAD1m5.pngThankYouUSA-Kosova.jpg

See my Timeline for details of our visa journey
17-Aug-2011 Our Wedding Day in Kosovo 
07-Nov-2011 Filed I-130
21-Nov-2011 NOA1
23-Aug-2012 NOA2 Approved 276 days
10-Jan-2013 Case complete via email

28-Feb-2013 Interview, result AP
11-Apr-2013 Embassy appointment - VISA APPROVED and issued in 4 hours
30-Apr-2013 POE Chicago O'Hare - He's home!

04-Sep-2014 Moved to northern California

12-Mar-2015 Filed ROC
16-Mar-2015 Documents delivered
18-Mar-2015 Check cashed
19-Mar-2015 NOA1 dated 03/16/2015 received in mail
13-Apr-2015 Biometrics completed
02-Feb-2016 Contacted USCIS about case, was told it's on hold because of security checks (email)
04-Mar-2016 Moved to Wisconsin
12-Aug-2016 New Biometrics appointment
14-Sep-2016 Contacted USCIS again about case (email said we should hear from them by Oct 6)
22-Sep-2016 Letter from USCIS dated 9/20 explaining the Service Request is currently being reviewed by an officer.
22-Sep-2016 Letter from USCIS dated 9/20 with Interview appointment for both of us for 28-Sep-2016
28-Sep-2016 Interview, both of us, separated, not hard, 10 min. each, result---said hubby will get GC in about 10 days
26-Oct-2016 *****STILL WAITING*****
02-Nov-2016 Card is being produced!!!
08-Nov-2016 Card is mailed
10-Nov-2016 Card is Delivered!!!! YAY
CITIZENSHIP: 

Biometrics appointment for 2020-03-27 has been cancelled until further notice as all field offices are closed because of COVID-19.

***NOA dated 12/10/2020 USCIS stated they are able to reuse previous Biometrics***

Interview was easy. My hubby's Oath Ceremony is scheduled for February 25th. I can't watch >sad< but happy he is getting his certificate!

25-FEB-2021 Oath Ceremony! My hubby is a Citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.