Bijou

Change of Status in Process and cancelling it

35 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

If you delay and he gets back here, he will have some advantage over you.

You will not only be helping him bring his family here (a little stretch) but if you will be financially responsible for him (+ his family back home since your money will be going to them also).

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

A person actions speak more than any words

If you suspect he has a family in Egypt, he probably does

and never let him try to get back in saying it is ok for a muslim to have many wives as it is not normal in Egypt and the first wife would have to sign papers saying she is ok with this / never going to happen from what my Egyptian friends tell me

not meeting and knowing his family is also a big deal as first thing a muslim man does is get approval from his mom

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

My problem is what if I'm WRONG? I am basing my suspicions all on his behavior since he left almost a month ago. Yes, he is still there. Also, he has never introduced me to his friends, family or kids back in his country. He literally disappeared into his country and I have no way of knowing anything that is going on there. I am well aware that this is not normal and I have had plenty of time to process this. He is to return on September 28th.

You had a gut feeling and you are already doubting yourself...smh. You can choose to do something about it now and you can wait around and see what happens.

I would choose the former.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline

If you delay and he gets back here, he will have some advantage over you.

You will not only be helping him bring his family here (a little stretch) but if you will be financially responsible for him (+ his family back home since your money will be going to them also).

If I withdraw my I-130 now, I won't be responsible for any financial support for him, let alone his kids. One thing about him, he has never once asked for money so he has that much going for him.

If I withdraw my I-130 now, I won't be responsible for any financial support for him, let alone his kids. One thing about him, he has never once asked for money so he has that much going for him.

So what was he doing in US with B1/B2 tourist visa in the first place?

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Timeline

So what was he doing in US with B1/B2 tourist visa in the first place?

He was visiting with friends. He was a business man in his previous country and had an approved travel Visa. This is what I was told. I didn't find that to be particularly suspicious.

Can anyone please tell me what would be the potential series of events if he did return but then I pulled withdrew the application? I am taking heed to what you are all saying but a part of me needs to have some sort of closure with him while I'm looking at him in the eye. Does anyone know the timeline of deportation?

First off, forget deportation. That aint gonna happen. People live here illegally forever, immigration doesn't go out looking for individuals. If an illegal happens to fall in their lap, they will deport them or if they do an immigration raid at a sweat shop or something. But they don't go looking for a single illegal.

If you would be able to get an INFOPASS in the next couple of days, and you emailed and sent a cancel request overnight, you may be able to get the case canceled and his advanced parole invalidated. I think they would not allow him entry in that case, effectively deporting him.

I tend to agree what you said about confronting him about it and closure. You can expect he will deny it of course, so instead of closure, you may end up putting doubts into your head that you are doing the right thing. But if you decide to do it in person, do it in public, you don't know how he will react. But letting it so you can confront him may allow him to stay here illegally. That is something you didn't want, but there's no way to prevent it once he comes back to the US. Also, he knows where you live/work, and while unlikely, can show up whenever and/or bother/harass you. Are you willing to take that chance or just end it clean now (unlikely that it's even possible in 9 days--USCIS wheels turn slowly).

Just let USCIS/CBP do the dirty work for you.

Did he overstay his tourist visa by any chance? If so, he could be subject to a US ban once you kill the I-130/864 if he overstayed by at least 6 months I think.

Edited by Eric-Pris

Timeline

First off, forget deportation. That aint gonna happen. People live here illegally forever, immigration doesn't go out looking for individuals. If an illegal happens to fall in their lap, they will deport them or if they do an immigration raid at a sweat shop or something. But they don't go looking for a single illegal.

If you would be able to get an INFOPASS in the next couple of days, and you emailed and sent a cancel request overnight, you may be able to get the case canceled and his advanced parole invalidated. I think they would not allow him entry in that case, effectively deporting him.

I tend to agree what you said about confronting him about it and closure. You can expect he will deny it of course, so instead of closure, you may end up putting doubts into your head that you are doing the right thing. But if you decide to do it in person, do it in public, you don't know how he will react. But letting it so you can confront him may allow him to stay here illegally. That is something you didn't want, but there's no way to prevent it once he comes back to the US. Also, he knows where you live/work, and while unlikely, can show up whenever and/or bother/harass you. Are you willing to take that chance or just end it clean now (unlikely that it's even possible in 9 days--USCIS wheels turn slowly).

Just let USCIS/CBP do the dirty work for you.

Did he overstay his tourist visa by any chance? If so, he could be subject to a US ban once you kill the I-130/864 if he overstayed by at least 6 months I think.

Is there anyway he could petition for his wife and kids to come to the US if I withdrew my I-130 and split with him?? This is what can't happen. Also, he couldn't travel to see them again without progress on his Visa. Even if he remains here and no longer has me - he will continue to be subjected to ####### jobs and people taking advantage of him because they have to pay him under the table. It won't be a good life for him.

This whole post is so sad and outrageous. I never thought I would find myself in this situation from falling in love. Thank you again for all of your feedback. I'm going to process this all today.

Is there anyway he could petition for his wife and kids to come to the US if I withdrew my I-130 and split with him?? This is what can't happen. Also, he couldn't travel to see them again without progress on his Visa. Even if he remains here and no longer has me - he will continue to be subjected to ####### jobs and people taking advantage of him because they have to pay him under the table. It won't be a good life for him.

This whole post is so sad and outrageous. I never thought I would find myself in this situation from falling in love. Thank you again for all of your feedback. I'm going to process this all today.

No. In order to bring anybody to the US, a person must be a citizen or a Permanent Resident (green card holder).

Once the 130/485 is dead, they will invalidate his advance parole. He can go back to Egypt, but won't be able to come back into the US, so basically, he'll be stuck in the US alone (if he's married in Egypt).

Don't downplay VAWA for a male just because he is physically bigger than you. Emotional abuse can also be claimed.

Also, say he does return and you DO find out he has another family and has been using you. You may not be able to kick him out (for legal reasons).

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline

Don't downplay VAWA for a male just because he is physically bigger than you. Emotional abuse can also be claimed.

Also, say he does return and you DO find out he has another family and has been using you. You may not be able to kick him out (for legal reasons).

As I've stated, we don't even have an AOS approval. I will just pull the petition and be done with it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Obviously, if you withdraw the AOS and they cancel his EAD, he will have to return home. However, he qualified for a tourist visa once, so presumably he might qualify again. So if I were you, I wouldn't necessarily base my actions on attempting to prevent him from doing this again.

The fact that he's never asked money from you sort of separates him from most scammers. Also, people with means usually do better in qualifying for a tourist visa, and it sounds like he does have money.

I wonder if this isn't so much a scam than just a sketchy guy, which is perhaps a distinction without a difference.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Timeline

I wonder if this isn't so much a scam than just a sketchy guy, which is perhaps a distinction without a difference.

I'm not sure if I know what you mean by this. Still, where does that leave me?

Some people are legitimately physically abused by people smaller and seemingly weaker than them. The fact that the general public tends to think it's "laughable" makes many abuse victims more than normally unwilling to talk about their experiences.

Timeline

Some people are legitimately physically abused by people smaller and seemingly weaker than them. The fact that the general public tends to think it's "laughable" makes many abuse victims more than normally unwilling to talk about their experiences.

My post is not about a general public consensus on domestic abuse and I do not see anywhere in my post - where it was insinuated that domestic abuse was laughable in general based on size or that a smaller person was not capable of abusing another person with a larger physical stature. I only referred to myself and how it would be laughable for him to accuse me of that because I know the situation.. My post is about a man that I have fallen in love with, married and who also may be just using me for a green card. Do you understand that?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.