Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

US Citizen to marry Philippine citizen?

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Timeline

I am a US citizen and have been in the Philippines working for the last 2 years. I've proposed to my girlfriend, now my fiance', and we need to understand what we need to do as far as getting married. She currently has a 10 year multiple entry VISA for the USA. We actually just returned from Hawaii a few months ago. But the questions that I have are..... Do we need to get married in the USA? if so, do we have to get another visa for her? A fiance' visa? Do we need to get married in the Philippines as well as the USA. One or the other or both? whatever the case is, what type of documentation do we need to complete, etc. Any help would be very appreciated :)



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines

Was on the same boat. I had a 10year multiple entry visa for USA. 2days before I left US, my fiance proposed and I could no longer extend my trip as I am expected in Cebu Facility by the next day. We discussed over it on how to carried out. Below are the points we considered:

- when we get married, where do we intend to settle down? in PH? or in US?

- what are the documentation needed?

In our case, we wanted to settle down in US as my fiance cant give up his work there. We knew that entering on B2 (tourist visa) with the intent to get married and adjust status is a form of visa fraud. Since I am already in the Philippines, we came down into either marrying in PH or obtaining a fiance visa. I wasnt into the idea of him coming down to Philippines and marrying here.

- First, he had to do additional paper works for leaves

- He has to apply for Passport Book. He doesnt have one.

- It is an additional cost for him to come down for marriage and eventually bring me with him to US.

- Additional cost while staying PH eg accommodation (he needs AC and my place in PH doesnt have a/c...lol)

- Marriage in PH needs more required documents (pre-cana seminar, cenomar, birth certificate, certificate of eligibility, parents advice/consent for below 25, etc) whereas in US depends per state though, you just need an ID and after 2-3 days you can get your marriage license.

We decided to apply for fiance visa although the downside is that, we need to adjust status in US after our marriage.

How to get married in Philippines:


Edited by MsCompE

Previous U.S. Visa/Trips
03-10-2014 : B1 issued date
03-24-2015 : B1/B2 issued date
02-26-2016 : Visited my aunt in Corpus Christi
02-27-2016 : Meet Ryan and he asked me out 
03-30-2016 : He proposed before I left U.S.
04-01-2016 : I left U.S. I wish I had enough days to marry him.
But, I have a very important business meeting to physically attend in Cebu on 04/04. I also have a business trip due in Japan for May 2016. 
Circumstances lead me to K-1. 
K1 - Journey


04-22-2016 : Sent I-129F Packet
07-20-2016 : Received NOA2
08-01-2016 : NVC Case # assigned
08-25-2016 : Interview Date and APPROVED!!! 
09-03-2016 : VOH
AOS - Journey

12-14-2016 : POE

12-30-2016 : Wedding Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
01-20-2017 : Sent I-485, I-765, I-131 Packet
01-24-2017 : NOA1 Received Date
02-03-2017 : Received NOA1 Hard Copy
02-04-2017 : Received Biometrics Appointment Scheduled on 02/17
02-08-2017 : Completed Biometrics
04-22-2017 : EAD Update - Card in Production
04-27-2017 : Received EAD & AP Approval Notice
05-01-2017 : Received EAD & AP Combo Card
05-01-2017 : Received EAD & AP Combo Card
11-17-2017 : I-485 Approved Date
11-25-2017 : I-485 Approved Notice Received
11-27-2017 : GC Received at the mailbox. No text/email notification. USCIS Case Status is still at "Fingerprint Fee Received" 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina

**Post moved from K1 to What type of visa do I need?

I suggest you take the time to read this http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

The visa you will have to petition for will depend on what you intend to do.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...