Ilovecake

Anyone from the UK cargo their belongings to the USA, advice & info appreciated!

32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The difficult part is knowing how much stuff you have before you pack. Kind of impossible really.

In the end, we just picked these people and quit trying to compare. Ask them about details because the door to door quote can include a moving van bringing your things across country and not necessarily ship through the Panama Canal. Ask what their typical procedure is to the west coast. I guess they work out most efficient and quote you that.

When you start packing, make an inventory list of what you are bringing for customs and insurance purposes.

Edit: I see you aren't on the west coast so forget that comment.

Thank you! Very helpful

Yes I'll be staying in Virginia Beach, East Coast

Hi, It is actually Virginia Beach I will be staying ... I need to update that on my profile. I think my nearest port would be Norfolk, VA

Ah, it's the Washington state in your profile that threw me off track.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

I priced our move with both 1st Move International and White&Company. White&Company were by far less expensive for the same amount of volume.

We only wanted to move certain things, and like Nich-Nick said, I told my husband to bring anything that was important to him.

White&Company came and we told them all the various things we wanted to bring. They then estimated the size and gave us a quote based on that.

White&Company will then keep to that quote unless we change what we are bringing (they could have over or under estimated). 1st Move International will change your fee based on the final size.

Timeline

I priced our move with both 1st Move International and White&Company. White&Company were by far less expensive for the same amount of volume.

We only wanted to move certain things, and like Nich-Nick said, I told my husband to bring anything that was important to him.

White&Company came and we told them all the various things we wanted to bring. They then estimated the size and gave us a quote based on that.

White&Company will then keep to that quote unless we change what we are bringing (they could have over or under estimated). 1st Move International will change your fee based on the final size.

Wow thanks for this info, I'll look them up :)

1. Your TV's will be 240V anyway so leave them there, same for most electronics
  2. The cost of shipping bulky items is likely to be a toss up between buying new here and selling in the UK cf. shipping costs to bring here
  3. Clothing is cheap here so avoid shipping routine stuff. Bedding is a different size too.
  4. Focus on the stuff that is of emotional value rather than just household chattels

I moved from a UK semi to my wife's house. In the end I got all my stuff boxed up on a couple of pallets. The bulkiest stuff was my DVD collection - which is still in the garage and will get chucked at some point and my vinyl collection. Clothes - I brought very few (moved from Watford to California) , brought some old crockery and cutlery but mostly I brought my personal nick nacks just about all of which fits in my study.

Emigrating is a great opportunity to have a realllllllllyyyyyy big clearout of accumulated stuff.. I spent 12 months culling stuff from my house. Took a while and several attempts to throw out some stuff but in the end I did and don't regret it.

Edited by rjm_cmyk

Richard

event.png

event.png

Timeline
  • Your TV's will be 240V anyway so leave them there, same for most electronics
  • The cost of shipping bulky items is likely to be a toss up between buying new here and selling in the UK cf. shipping costs to bring here
  • Clothing is cheap here so avoid shipping routine stuff. Bedding is a different size too.
  • Focus on the stuff that is of emotional value rather than just household chattels
I moved from a UK semi to my wife's house. In the end I got all my stuff boxed up on a couple of pallets. The bulkiest stuff was my DVD collection - which is still in the garage and will get chucked at some point and my vinyl collection. Clothes - I brought very few (moved from Watford to California) , brought some old crockery and cutlery but mostly I brought my personal nick nacks just about all of which fits in my study.

Emigrating is a great opportunity to have a realllllllllyyyyyy big clearout of accumulated stuff.. I spent 12 months culling stuff from my house. Took a while and several attempts to throw out some stuff but in the end I did and don't regret it.

The shipping cost that someone else quoted above around £1,000 is not bad at all, I actually don't mind cargoing my belongings. My bigger TV also has a removable cable cord and my fiancè said they sell USA power cords for my tv in Best Buy for appox. $8-$9.

The shipping cost that someone else quoted above around £1,000 is not bad at all, I actually don't mind cargoing my belongings. My bigger TV also has a removable cable cord and my fiancè said they sell USA power cords for my tv in Best Buy for appox. $8-$9.

The TV will not work. The voltage is different.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

You'd need to change the internal power supply unit too, really is more expense/hassle than it's worth

The TV will not work. The voltage is different.

Listen to Nich-Nick, she is the oracle for all things UK-USA :)

Everything crossed for a smooth and stress free journey

I used baggage hub. I was not told anything about insurance (make sure you get insurance). They were a nightmare and my stuff arrived trashed. It cost me around 400 pounds for 4 boxes and a portfolio of art and I lost some rather sentimental things. Some stuff went missing and some was ruined. I would not recommend them, stay clear.

K-1 Jan 2016 Applicant timeline.

I-129f sent to lock box 7th January 2016.
Delivered 11th January 2016.
NOA1 sent to CSC January 14th 2016.
NOA1 Hard copy January 21st 2016.
RFE email 10th March 2016.
RFE hard copy - 21th March 2016.
RFE Evidence sent- 4th April 2016.
RFE Received by USCIS- 6th April 2016.
NOA2 Received by email dated 18th April 2016.
NOA2 hard copy - April 21st 2016
NVC Recieved- May 9th 2016.
NVC number received- May 9th 2016.
DS-160 filled out - 9th May 2016.
Medical - May 18th 2016
CEAC in Transit - 11th May 2016.
CEAC update embassy received medical- may 24th 2016
Interview- June 15th 2016. - approved!!
POE- July 13th 2016 -Chicago

Married July 18th 2016. (L)

AOS

Package sent- August 18th 2016

Arrived at Chicago Lockbox- August 20th 2016.

NOA 1 - August 25th 2016 (text received 27th).

AP NOA1- 22nd August 2016 (text received 27th).

EAD NOA1- 22nd August 2016 (email received 27th).

NOA1 Hard copies received- September 1st 2016.

Bio-metrics- 20th September 2016.

Request Initial Information for I-485 - October 6th 2016.

RFIE- Affidavit Support information October 11th 2016.

RFIE- Response sent Overnight USPS. October 17th 2016.

RFIE- Delivered October 18th 2016.

RFIE- Received by USCIS October 20th 2016.

EAD- Card Being produced November 17th 2016.

AP- Approved November 17th 2016.

I don't know about that, but thanks. When I showed my British/American* husband the original list of what the OP wanted to ship, he saw the two TVs and said "What the hell for?" I consider him the oracle for technical things because if it's possible and practical, he's likely tried it before.

* I called him British and American because he's been a USC for four years now. :)

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline
  • Your TV's will be 240V anyway so leave them there, same for most electronics
  • The cost of shipping bulky items is likely to be a toss up between buying new here and selling in the UK cf. shipping costs to bring here
  • Clothing is cheap here so avoid shipping routine stuff. Bedding is a different size too.
  • Focus on the stuff that is of emotional value rather than just household chattels

Thank u for your info !

I don't know about that, but thanks. When I showed my British/American* husband the original list of what the OP wanted to ship, he saw the two TVs and said "What the hell for?" I consider him the oracle for technical things because if it's possible and practical, he's likely tried it before.

* I called him British and American because he's been a USC for four years now. :)

Lol! Noted ... I'll reconsider now

You'd need to change the internal power supply unit too, really is more expense/hassle than it's worth

I thought transformer boxes converts the power supply? Anyway I'll most likely give the TVs away to family here and leave without them. Thank you for the info

I used baggage hub. I was not told anything about insurance (make sure you get insurance). They were a nightmare and my stuff arrived trashed. It cost me around 400 pounds for 4 boxes and a portfolio of art and I lost some rather sentimental things. Some stuff went missing and some was ruined. I would not recommend them, stay clear.

Oh wow!!! Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Thanks for your input and for the heads up.

Some things have a power brick in the cord. If it shows it will work on 110-220v then it has a built in power converter and can be used. Laptop, iPad, cell phone chargers come to mind.

Let's talk about the wardrobe now. We tend to have closets here. If it's not the entrance to Narnia, then probably not worth it either. What kind of wardrobe is it and what makes it super special?

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

Some things have a power brick in the cord. If it shows it will work on 110-220v then it has a built in power converter and can be used. Laptop, iPad, cell phone chargers come to mind.

Let's talk about the wardrobe now. We tend to have closets here. If it's not the entrance to Narnia, then probably not worth it either. What kind of wardrobe is it and what makes it super special?

It is a pretty white princess wardrobe (my daughter's), I actually bought it and got it delivered ready assembled. The wood is thick and hard. I just really like it.

It is a pretty white princess wardrobe (my daughter's), I actually bought it and got it delivered ready assembled. The wood is thick and hard. I just really like it.

Well if it belongs to a princess, then for sure take it :)

I was imagining those cheap blah flat pack things.

Isn't it lovely having all these strangers examining your packing list. Gotta love forums :P

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

Well if it belongs to a princess, then for sure take it :)

I was imagining those cheap blah flat pack things.

Isn't it lovely having all these strangers examining your packing list. Gotta love forums :P

Hahahaa!!! Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.