Cristina24

K1 Visa questions

88 posts in this topic

Hello everyone :)

My boyfriend and I want to apply for the K1 Visa. Im from Australia, he lives in Texas. I need to know some things first if anyone has the answers?

Do we have to be engaged prior to applying for K1 visa? We dont have a date yet when we'd like to get married, but we do in the near future. We would like to get married during the 90 day period when im allowed to come back in the states.

My suggestion to you would be to read tis website's K1 guides in filing your petition and above all carefully read the USCIS instructions that are with each form to fill out.

Regarding engagement? Well if you intend to marry someone I'd say that means you're engaged right? You do not need photos of a ring or anything like that, but if you had one it shouldn't hurt. The important thing you need to do per the guide is each person writes a simple statement saying ''I am free , willing, and able to marry and intend to marry X within 90 days of their arrival to the US on a K1 visa''. Tailor it from the beneficiary and petitioner's perspective, sign, and date it.

As advised by the government do not make plans and dates to marry officially until the visa has been granted... because anything can happen. It is not a requirement.

My boyfriend is filling out the K1 visa, we are stuck on 2 things....

He doesnt have a "Alien registration number" what even is that? ?

And with the G-325A form do we both send a copy of this form filled separately?

Also..."Current husband or wife" (if none, so state)? We're not married yet so what should we put in that section? ....Thanks guys!

Your fiancé will not have an A# yet, but they will eventually, thus this question does not apply.

Each person must fill out a G-325A and attach a passport sized photograph (see the guides here and read the instructions). You must include this with your application packet.

If none so state is your answer: the answer is none.

Will do that with the photos. But do we need proof of engagement cuz we are not engaged yet...

Photos are considered secondary evidence. Keep this in mind. It is very helpful to send photos, but it needs to be backed up by other evidence.. and that evidence is also covered in the instructions. The USCIS wants proof that you have met within the 2 years of filing the petition, and that's pretty much it. Relationship evidence is perfectly fine to send (and it will be passed on to the consulate), but this will be discussed and analyzed during the fiancé's interview. You need to send passport stamps, boarding passes, and anything that shows you both in the same place at the same time. Tickets and receipts showing you went somewhere together, bank withdrawls showing you took money out at a local bank (if applicable).. photos will help back up you being in the same location but again is considered secondary in nature.

omg thank you, you are so nice! ☺️

We are not engaged, no ring on my finger, no marriage plans yet, we just want to get married within the 90 day period after the visa is granted. Do u think thats a good idea? We have met 3 times in the last 2 years, been together for 7 years. I mean these documents take so long to process we just want to have them done so we are free to marry within a year or so. (when the visa is ready)

You are required to marry within 90 days of the fiancé's arrival in the US with the visa, so yes it would be a good idea. The fiancé will have up to six months from the date of their medical examination to enter the US, if you require more time. Once arrived and married it is in the best interest to file for AOS (with temporary work employment EAD and travel permit AP) as soon as possible.

Processing time for K1s as standard by the USCIS can take up to 6 months, regardless of if it is faster or slower, and then you will have the consulate process to get through. To get a good estimate in seeing how fast things are currently moving, look around at the timelines here.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi OP,

The 'Intent to Marry Letter' signed by the petitioner will be able to satisfy the being engaged requirement as this will be included in the I-129f packet you're about to send :)

I didn't have an engagement ring at the time of filing up until my interview at the embassy.Nor did we have an exact date when the Consular Officer asked me when we plan to get married, I just told the CO that we plan to marry within the 60-90 days of arrival in the US.

Also, I just included 5 photos of him with me/ him, me and family for each time he visited (3 time to be exact so that's 15 photos in total). Wrote a brief description (place and dates) behind each photo, and placed it inside a ziplock bag.

As for the emails, we communicated online 24/7 several times a day for 3 years, except when he was in the Philippines to visit me :D . That's a ton of emails and, so what I did was pick out 12 out for each year. I picked those that mention future plans, or just plain mushy, corny emails expressing our deep love for each other :blush: I did the exact same thing when it came to our Viber messages.

Wish you luck in your Journey. It can be stressful and can turn an impatient person impatient, but it's definitely worth the wait. As Greenbaum say, enjoy your time with family and friends as time can run fast.

As for our timeline, we filed October 2015 and was approved in December 2015 (even with an RFE for missing divorce decree which we right away sent).

You'll both be fine. It's an exciting phase :D

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My boyfriend is filling out the K1 visa, we are stuck on 2 things....

Also..."Current husband or wife" (if none, so state)? We're not married yet so what should we put in that section? ....Thanks guys!

If he's born in the US, then that's not needed.

Yes, one filled out by him, and one by you, so 2 G-325A forms. Make sure that each has your original signatures. You'll have to mail your filled and signed G-325A form and signed Letter of Intent to Marry as these have to bear your signature.

Also..."Current husband or wife" (if none, so state)? We're not married yet so what should we put in that section?

Put NONE if both of yo have never been married before.

Hope this helps :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi OP,

The 'Intent to Marry Letter' signed by the petitioner will be able to satisfy the being engaged requirement as this will be included in the I-129f packet you're about to send :)

Both the petitioner and beneficiary both need to the Intent to Marry. Also letters from family and friends that experience the relationship is a very helpful thing.

I didn't have an engagement ring at the time of filing up until my interview at the embassy.Nor did we have an exact date when the Consular Officer asked me when we plan to get married, I just told the CO that we plan to marry within the 60-90 days of arrival in the US.

If you do have one, a receipt for it is helpful. Be extremely careful of your photos of an engagement. It can be interpreted as a wedding depending on the pictures and if it appears so or very extravagant that looks like a wedding you can be disapproved at the interview. Understated is important.

Also, I just included 5 photos of him with me/ him, me and family for each time he visited (3 time to be exact so that's 15 photos in total). Wrote a brief description (place and dates) behind each photo, and placed it inside a ziplock bag.

As for the emails, we communicated online 24/7 several times a day for 3 years, except when he was in the Philippines to visit me :D . That's a ton of emails and, so what I did was pick out 12 out for each year. I picked those that mention future plans, or just plain mushy, corny emails expressing our deep love for each other :blush: I did the exact same thing when it came to our Viber messages.

Wish you luck in your Journey. It can be stressful and can turn an impatient person impatient, but it's definitely worth the wait. As Greenbaum say, enjoy your time with family and friends as time can run fast.

As for our timeline, we filed October 2015 and was approved in December 2015 (even with an RFE for missing divorce decree which we right away sent).

You'll both be fine. It's an exciting phase :D

K1 Journey Begins

NOA1 on March 3, 2016

NOA2 on May 26, 2016

NVC Rcvd Case June 13, 2016

NVC Case and Rcpt # June 16, 2016

Case to Embassy June 16, 2016

Case Ready at Embassy June 20, 2016

Lab July 8 for minor and July 11, 2016 for Fiance

Medical July 11, 2016

Biometrics ACS July 12, 2016

Interview Approved July 14, 2016

Visa Issued via DHL July 16

Visa Arrived July 1

POE September 23, 2016 JFK

Marriage !!!!!!!!!!!! September 30, 2016

Next Step AOS..........

• November 12, 2016 - Express mail to Chicago Lockbox
  • December 5, 2016 - Electronic Notifiaction for AOS, rcvd 11/15
  • December 11, 2016 - NOA1 for EAD, 765 and 485, also accepted fingerprint fee.
  • December 28, 2016 - Biometrics
  • February 14 - EAD  & Advanced Parole Approved and being mailed. 
  • May 4 2017. Approved without interview, Card being Produced
  • May 7, 2017 recvd approval for i485
  • May 10 2017 rcvd Green Cards in mail.!!
  • Next step in 20 months to remove conditions.

Removal of Conditions Begins by end of first week of February

• February 5, 2019   - Printing package;
  • February 11, 2019 - ROC package mailed;
  • February 13, 2019 - Package delivered to Dallas Tx;
  • February 15, 2019 - Credit Card Charged;
  • February 19, 2019 - Electronic Notification Rec'd, Case Location LIN - Nebraska;
  • February 21, 2019 - Received NOA with 18 month extension for wife ONLY, not 14yo dependent who is on application;
  • March 12, 2019      - Notified USCIS that we never rcvd i797 for 14 yo minor, they provided a case # and submitted a Svc Request
  • May 2.2019             -  No forward motion, we called again and despite there was an officer assigned to this service request nothing happened/ no extension. We filed an InfoPass and have an appointment for Monday 6th for passport stamp.
  • May 6, 2019 - Attended InfoPass appointment in Philadelphia local USCIS local office for 930. This was for a never rcvd 797 for our 14yo dependent. Arrived 9:15, not crowded at all. No extra photos or fingerprint taken. We were in the car (lots of parking available) at 945. Pleasant female officer, she updated and checked for no changes. Stamped passport, explained is valid for 1 year. The took the green card which expired 5/4/19. No issues or problems.. I asked about the non receipt and she said it's pretty common.. 
  • August 23 - Biometrics NOA, scheduled for 9/3 @1pm
  • September 3 - Biometrics
  • September 4 -Fingerprint Review was completed
  • January 8 - ROC, Card Being Processed, Citizenship is next!
  • January 15 2020  - Cards Delivered

N400 Citizenship :)

• November 28, 2020     - N400 Filed online and paid via CC
  • November 28, 2020     - NOA received electronically

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Christine both of u should wear rings and take pictures and with u kissing sitting with friends and ur parents in different pictures ... u will be successful

Sure, but remember: she's from Australia, not Ghana.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Please read up on this K1 guide here on VJ. Also, make sure you write N/A in any spot that does not apply to you or him such as the Alien registration #. Also, be sure to make copies of all paperwork he will send in, including the check he writes for the fee. Both of you have to write your own letter of intent to marry and sign and date it. Make a check list and a good place to check one out is in that k1 guide up top i sent you.

6/25  Engagement day on the Nile River in Zamalak Cairo, Egypt 

K1 Petition:

7/5 Sent

7/6 Received

7/8 NOA 1

8/24 NOA 2

9/9 Received at NVC

9/13 Received case number for Embassy

9/18 Embassy received our approved k1 petition and emailed Packet 3 to us.

10/1 Mailed out Packet 3

10/3 Embassy Received Packet 3

10/4 Received Email from Embassy & Case # downloaded & ready to pay visa fee!

10/24 Interview

10/24 Visa Approved!

10/27 Visa Issued!

11/3 Visa in Hand!

12/7 Entry to Houston, Texas

12/16 Wedding Day!!! 

AOS

1/17 Filed AOS

1/24 NOA

2/13 Biometrics

2/17 AOS is ready to be scheduled for interview.  AOS, EAD & AP pending approval. 

4/21 EAD/AP Approved!

4/29 EAD/AP Card in hand! 

For a timeline, it's best to plan for the worst (longest) and that way if it's faster, you'll be surprised and happy. It makes no difference when you file. Sometimes they get backed up, sometimes they are faster. They never seem to follow any chronological order; you may see people who file a month or two after you get approved. What we did is when we finally got our visa, had a private ceremony to get the official paperwork done, then planned a celebration of sorts three months later for family and friends to gather and have a reception. You honestly can't predict how long or short it will take. Follow the guidelines on this site to the letter, send more than enough proof so you aren't flagged for an RFE, and all will be smooth sailing. Good luck! :)

K-1
03/09/12 - NoA1
10/04/12 - NoA2 (210 days)

AoS

01/25/13 - NoA1
08/15/13 - NoA2 (199 days)

RoC
05/21/15 - NoA1

11/02/15 - NoA2 (164 days)

N-400

08/18/16 - NoA1
03/14/17 - Interview

03/16/17 - Oath Ceremony (217 days)

US citizen

Total time start to finish: 5 years, 12 days (1,838 days)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

It's not a matter of where you come from

Well yes, to some degree it is. Some embassies are way harder than others, so people from Ghana might think about front loading their i-129f with all kinds of stuff already from the beginning, while someone from Australia won't need to. You might not think so, but there are actually big differences depending on what country you're from.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Do i need to include evidence of our ongoing relationship in the k1 pack or wait till i get intervied? Thank u

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Do i need to include evidence of our ongoing relationship in the k1 pack or wait till i get intervied? Thank u

you should include so the CO will have seen everything , sometimes they dont allow you to show more documents

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.