dhman06

CR-1 Visa Validity

20 posts in this topic

This is a very very dumb question, but since the folks here have a lot of wisdom, I figured I should ask this for the sanity of my mind.

My spouse has her interview scheduled in October of this year, but due to school related reason (final yr med student) she probably won't arrive here til the end of March, 2017. Now my question is: how long is the spouse immigrant visa valid for? Most people I've talked to (including my company lawyer) said it is valid for 6 months from the date of issuance, but at the same time I've read somewhere that it's 6 months from the completion of medical exam, not the date of issuance.

Can someone please clarify this to me? Thanks a lot in advance.

Edited by dhman06

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

"When You Should Travel - You must arrive and apply for admission in the United States no later than the visa expiration date printed on your visa. An immigrant visa is usually valid for up to six months from the date of issuance unless your medical examination expires sooner, which may make your visa valid for less than six months."

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/interview/after.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Valid only for 6 months from date of issuance.

No this is incorrect. It is not date of issuance. It's 6 months from day medical was picked up. Why not move you interview date to later date. Or you wait until the last minute to get your medical.

My husband had his medical results picked up March 7, 2016. The Visa had validity until September 7 2016

The Visa was issued May 10th. So 6 months from Medical results.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Its six months from visa issuance unless the medical expires before. Or then its from medical. But usually medical is valid for one year.

Anyway 6 months from

Date on actual

Visa in passport..

Edited by Anitafeliz

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

"Review your visa when you receive it and also carefully note its expiration date. You must enter the United States before your visa expires, and before your medical examination results expire."

From the travel.gov website: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/interview/prepare/appointment.html

So, you must enter while both are still valid.

Married: 5-July-2015
I-130 Petition Sent: 11-May-2016
NSC Received (Our Priority Date): 12-May-2016
NOA2 Received: 30-September-2016 141 days for I-130 approval
NOA2 Hard Copy Received: 06-October-2016
Petition Sent to NVC: 17-October-2016 17 days for petition to be sent to NVC
NVC Received: 21-October-2016 4 days to be received at NVC
NVC Case Number Assigned: 31-October-2016 10 days for case number to be assigned
NVC Welcome Letter Received: 3-November-2016 @ 12:10 AM 3 days from case number assigned until Welcome Letter received and invoices unlocked
IV and AOS Fees Unlocked: 3-November-2016 @ 7:00 AM
IV and AOS Fees Paid: 3-November-2016
DS-260 Unlocked: 7-November-2016 2.5 business days for DS-260 to be unlocked
DS-260 Submitted: 8-November-2016
AOS and IV Documents Sent: 9-November-2016
Scan Date: 14-November-2016 5 days to receive scan date due to a holiday/weekend
Medical expedite requested: 14-December-2016
Medical expedite approved at consulate: 19-December-2016 Expedite approved with consulate but denied at NVC; still need to wait for case complete
Case on Supervisor Review: 22-December-2016
Case sent to the Review Department: 13-January-2017
Case Complete: 24-January-2017     10 weeks and 2 days at NVC before case completed
Case arrived at consulate/CEAC status "Ready": 1-February-2017
Interview: 21-February-2017   We scheduled our own interview because we had an approved medical expedite with the consulate. By sheer luck we got such a quick interview date because someone cancelled their appointment less than 20 minutes prior
Interview Result: Approved!!
Visa Issued: 21-February-2017     Visa issued same day as interview
DHL tracking information received: 22-February-2017     DHL tracking number appeared 28 hours after interview, scheduled for delivery the next day
Visa in hand: 23-Feb-2017
US POE (Minneapolis): 26-Feb-2017

Its six months from visa issuance unless the medical expires before. Or then its from medical. But usually medical is valid for one year.

Anyway 6 months from

Date on actual

Visa in passport..

Medical for CR1/IR1 expires in 6 months.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Timeline

What people are ignoring here is HER PROBLEM! She has educational pursuits that must be adhered by thus you must get actual and factual information. In this do not rely on us. Call the Embassy/USCIS and ask the for advice and then get whatever arrangements can be made in writing or email so you can refer to it. Dont rely on the visa being 6 months from medical because Oct to March is 6 months so you're cutting it way way close. Get the bonafide actual answer from the GOV, Get it in writing and prepare for her departure.

Medical for CR1/IR1 expires in 6 months.

:idea: didnt know that thanks ;)

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

What people are ignoring here is HER PROBLEM! She has educational pursuits that must be adhered by thus you must get actual and factual information. In this do not rely on us. Call the Embassy/USCIS and ask the for advice and then get whatever arrangements can be made in writing or email so you can refer to it. Dont rely on the visa being 6 months from medical because Oct to March is 6 months so you're cutting it way way close. Get the bonafide actual answer from the GOV, Get it in writing and prepare for her departure.

I didn't ignore anything. I suggested move the interview date.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Thanks for the advice folks. I gotta call the embassy. Looked through all the papaerworks word by word and found this ---

"No immigrant will be admitted to the United States if the medical exam is more than six months old. The expiration date of your Immigrant Visa will be exactly six months after you took your medical exam. Example: If you completed your medical exam on 15 June 2011, but your visa was not issued until 01 September 2011, your visa would still expire on 14 December 2011. Whether or not you should update your medical clearance depends on how soon after visa issuance you plan to travel to the United States."

Filed: Timeline

Thanks for the advice folks. I gotta call the embassy. Looked through all the papaerworks word by word and found this ---

"No immigrant will be admitted to the United States if the medical exam is more than six months old. The expiration date of your Immigrant Visa will be exactly six months after you took your medical exam. Example: If you completed your medical exam on 15 June 2011, but your visa was not issued until 01 September 2011, your visa would still expire on 14 December 2011. Whether or not you should update your medical clearance depends on how soon after visa issuance you plan to travel to the United States."

THERE YOU GO! CASE CLOSED!!!!! :idea:

Don't take the medical before the interview and get 221g for it and then complete it closer to move time and send the passport in?

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

You can likely push back the interview OR she can enter and return to finish schooling.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.