recentgraduate

Moving to Colorado with Canadian GIrlfriend

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I know a couple of J's working in a local brew pub.

Now that is not in down town Denver, usually places requiring seasonal labour.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

With an art degree?

Nothing wrong with an art degree.

I had an art degree and had multiple TN, H1B and O1 Visas.

Art is clearly covered under NAFTA in multiple sections, most popular being graphic design.

O1 has special categories for artists but that's not an option for graduates.

Sculpture can be covered under Graphic Design provisions.

If she was hired at a games studio to sculpt 3d models for a game project she would most definitely qualify for a visa. That would require a job offer first and if she can do digital modelling in that case [zbrush/modo/mari, etc]

I personally know dozens of sculptors and artists who are working in the films and games industry in the US under work visas.

I'm one of them.

Edited by HollywoodNorth

Hollywood North

Former: TN1, H1B, O1 worker

Currently: FB-1: I-551 approved in MTL 04/04/16. Issued 04/06/16.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Nothing wrong with an art degree.

I had an art degree and had multiple TN, H1B and O1 Visas.

Art is clearly covered under NAFTA in multiple sections, most popular being graphic design.

O1 has special categories for artists but that's not an option for graduates.

Sculpture can be covered under Graphic Design provisions.

If she was hired at a games studio to sculpt 3d models for a game project she would most definitely qualify for a visa. That would require a job offer first and if she can do digital modelling in that case [zbrush/modo/mari, etc]

I personally know dozens of sculptors and artists who are working in the films and games industry in the US under work visas.

I'm one of them.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! We are looking into this!!!

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Go for it. If you can get an art job, a Canadian can get a NAFTA visa really quickly.

Colorado may be a limiting factor ...

For games art jobs I'd look up gameasutra and similar websites. For film jobs, that's a bit more diverse there's a fair number of commercial arts jobs with creativeheads dot net.

Keep in mind traditional art skills are valued but you'll be competing with art students who can work digitally as well, so if she can sculpt on a computer then she has job options...the limiting factors is going to be her skill level compared to the typical job applicant and Colorado being a location.

You can surf zbrushcentral and artstation to get a feel of whats out there in terms of what people are producing for their portfolios, if your girlfriend is at that level she won't have any issues picking up work and a visa within a reasonable time frame.

Hollywood North

Former: TN1, H1B, O1 worker

Currently: FB-1: I-551 approved in MTL 04/04/16. Issued 04/06/16.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.