thomasbirch3

Gym willing to sponsor me, UK resident.

48 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

To be blunt, you have a zero chance. Even with your so called specific qualifications there are hundreds of thousands with the same specialization who are US citizens and permanent residents. You keep asking how much the process will cost and how much an attorney will cost and to be honest no one can tell you exactly how much, except to say it will be extremely costly. Several people have told you that you have no chance yet you are still grasping at straws. In the end IF the employer decides they will apply on your behalf they are going to lose every last penny they invested.

Why would you say he has zero chance? you dont know anything about his situation! You are always so negative!

I know Rob Riches out of the UK got his O1 visa!! He came here on a vacation, fell in love with LA and never left! he was a big trainer in the UK and had multiple shows ect.. maybe you need to spend time in the UK to build your portfolio!!! I KNOW many fitness trainers and MANY body builders that win multiple fitness competitions and all come to Venice Golds Gyms on O1 visas!!!

Perhaps reach out to Rob Riches on fb since you are from the Uk as well i am sure he would be able to give you some great advice! YES he is HUGE now but he came here i would say 8 years ago and he was not as big back then!!! Maybe get some Youtube channels up, start interviewing people ect!

I am telling you, the O1 as a fitness trainer IS the way to go.. ask Rob maybe you can talk to the lawyer that did his O1!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/RobRichesFitness

You will never get an H1b that would never ever work! you need to get your O1 and talk to rob and i think i have given you the best advice out of anyone on this thread:)

Edited by caliliving

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Certainly your Management Company could help, perhaps they have other clients who have moved to the US.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

An O is usually considered dual intent.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Since you will not be paying, that doesn't matter to you. The gym has to pay all costs. The whole process is going to cost tens of thousands.

If you were the personal trainer to Mo Farah, you might be in with a chance.

No, typical lawyer fees for an O1 visa will vary between 2-4.000$ plus USCIS cost...

The Gym will most likely be the sponsor for this petition but how they share the costs and all is up to both parties.

Dont listen to all this "ZERO chance/ you have to be FAMOUS" quotes on a forum or elsewhere. That is all from people who have never done it or have real experience about this type of visa. There is tons of athletes, artists and students fresh from college that move on with an O1 once they graduate. And they dont have a big career or name yet. It all depends on your credentials, case by case situation, the sponsor and you will need and an experienced lawyer in your field to put it together and to present it right. So prepare as much of your references and material, go online and look out for some lawyers and talk to them, most of them offer free consultations.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

No, typical lawyer fees for an O1 visa will vary between 2-4.000$ plus USCIS cost...

The Gym will most likely be the sponsor for this petition but how they share the costs and all is up to both parties.

Dont listen to all this "ZERO chance/ you have to be FAMOUS" quotes on a forum or elsewhere. That is all from people who have never done it or have real experience about this type of visa. There is tons of athletes, artists and students fresh from college that move on with an O1 once they graduate. And they dont have a big career or name yet. It all depends on your credentials, case by case situation, the sponsor and you will need and an experienced lawyer in your field to put it together and to present it right. So prepare as much of your references and material, go online and look out for some lawyers and talk to them, most of them offer free consultations.

Thank you goblin, I truly appreciate your input.

I have somewhat taken in what others have said, although to say it's a 'joke' and things like that was a little harsh I felt. I'm simply trying to get a job first instead of rushing into a marriage on the K1 Visa and was only asking a question.

I will do some more research on the O1 Visa, I am due back in the UK on Sunday.

Timeline

Thank you goblin, I truly appreciate your input.

I have somewhat taken in what others have said, although to say it's a 'joke' and things like that was a little harsh I felt. I'm simply trying to get a job first instead of rushing into a marriage on the K1 Visa and was only asking a question.

I will do some more research on the O1 Visa, I am due back in the UK on Sunday.

"instead (..) on the K1 visa" I must have missed the part where this was even mentioned here. In case there is a relationship involved this visa has and should ONLY have the purpose of what it is meant to be. Nothing more or less!

If that is not your main priority then the O1 is the one for you to try and in regards of that I know what I am talking about and said. I made deep research on it before I decided to go straight to EB1 instead. The two are common options for people from arts & sports. Again, you need a lawyer to give a thorough analysis of your case and don't just listen to one! Get various opinions and then decide on the one you like or best case somebody out of your same field can recommend. Keep in mind though, that many times people get referrals if they bring in new clients.

As for the "joke" posters, again this is a common behavior on all forums out there and I have gotten it myself. As you can see there are some guys in between to encourage you though :).

From the little info you provided your plan sounds totally legit and might work out very well and fairly easy to get the O1 visa... again sit down with a lawyer. If its not ready yet, a good one might advice you to get things going to make it happen in a short future.

Don't worry about it too much, and please do try to ignore the often very negative and bitter opinions that sometimes prevail on here.

I really do not know why, but for certain posters on here it is almost like anyone else wanting to immigrate other than themselves/their family member brings out this vile and almost spiteful streak in them and it is almost as if they want it to be as hard as possible, if not impossible, for other people to do the same or a similar journey that they themselves have previously done.

Do your research, and please do update your thread and ask more questions. Plenty of people here do try to give an honest factual opinion - it is just a bit of a cats litter box situation where you just have to sift through the cr ap first.

Edited by mindthegap

CR1 / DCF (London): 2012 / 2013 (4 months from I-130 petition to visa in hand)

I-751 #1- April 2015 [Denied]

April 2015 : I-751 Joint filing package sent fedex next day 09:00am from UK ($lots - thanks). 
Jan 2017: Notification that an interview has been scheduled at a local office. Bizarrely still no RFE... 
Jan 2017: 2hr wait, then interview terminated before it began, due to moving my ID to another state 2 wks prior. New interview 'in a few months...maybe.'   Informed them that divorce proceedings are underway, but not finalised at this time. 
March 2017: An Interview was scheduled - marked as no-show as they didn't actually send out a notification of interview. FML 
April  2017: Filed an official complaint with the ombudsman, and have requested Senator & Congressman assistance
August 2017: Interview - switched to a (finalised) divorce waiver. Told that decision will be made that afternoon, but no problems foreseen with my case. 
October 2017: Letter of Denial received - reason given as 'I-751 petition was not properly filed'. Discovered ex-spouse made false allegations to USCIS in 2015. No opportunity given to review & refute allegations  - contrary to USCIS policy.

I-751 #2 - Oct 2017 - Mar 2021[Denied] 

October 2017: Within 72hrs of receiving denial notice, a new waiver I-751, divorce decree & $680 cheque, sent to Vermont via FedEx overnight 9am priority.  
Dec 2019: Filed FOIA request for full A# file
Feb 2020: FOIA request completed - entire A# file received as a .PDF; 197 pages fully redacted, and 80 partially redacted. Don't waste your time!
March 2021: I-751 #2 denied for lack of evidence. No RFE, no interview, and evidence in previous I-751 not reviewed - contrary to policy. Huge errors in adjudication.

N-400 - Feb 2018 - Apr 2021 [Denied]

February 2018: N-400 filed online.  $725 paid to the USCIS paperwork wastage fund

February  2019: Interview - cancelled after a four hour wait due to 'missing paperwork' on their end. Promised Expedited reschedule.

March 2021: Interview letter received, strangely dated after I-751 denial. No I-751 interview conducted. N-400 interview and test passed, given 'cannot make a decision at this time' paper due to the ongoing I-751 nightmare...

April 2021: N-400 denial received citing recent I-751 denial as basis for ineligibility, even though it should have been a combo interview 🤯

I AM JACK'S COMPLETE LACK OF SURPRISE

I-751 Service Motion - March 2021 [Sent via FedEx & COMPLETELY IGNORED by USCIS]

March 2021: Service Motion request sent overnight addressed direectly to field office director, requesting urgent review and re-opening, based on errors in adjudication - citing USCIS policy, AFM and memorandums as basis for errors. This was completely ignored by USCIS.

I-751 #3 - June 2021 - Jan 2024 [Denied]

IT'S GROUNDHOG DAY

June 2021: I-751 #3 (30+lbs/5000 pages of paperwork) & another $680 sent to USCIS via FedEx ($300+..thanks) .... 

June 2021: Receipt issued, card charged, biometrics waived, infopass scheduled for I-551 stamp number ten.....

Feb 2022: RFIE (no, not an RFE, a Request For Initial Evidence) received, for copies of the divorce paperwork that they already have 😑

July 2022: Infopass for I-551 stamp number eleven.....

August 2023: Infopass for I-551 stamp number twelve....

January 2024: Denial received, ignoring the overwhelming majority of the filing, abundance of evidence, and refutation of a provably false allegation. The denial also contradicts itself in multiple places, as if it was written by someone with an IQ <50.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

2024: FML. Seriously. I'm done. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I know people here on an O1, I have read many threads from people who have gone that route.

To my knowledge the OP has not mentioned anything that suggests this would be a realistic option, may be pertinent information I have missed.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Some people know more than others.

It's your job to separate the wheat from the chaff, as it were.

AoS

77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview

Naturalisation

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

But that was you, right?

Yes indeed, and I stand by it.

That was in response to the OP asking about "work" visas. An H-1B is not feasible in this situation because you could throw a rock and hit a dozen "personal trainers".

Honestly, I think even an O-1 is shaky, but the OP can certainly talk to a lawyer and examine whether that's an option or not. Frankly, I doubt it, but IANAL.

AoS

77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview

Naturalisation

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

This is my opinion. I don't see a gym spending thousands of dollars to obtain a work visa for him unless he already has a reputation and clients to prove he is something special. If he were to invest in the gym that would be a different story and a different visa.

To put it another way: have you actually read the O visa guidelines?

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/o-1-visa-individuals-extraordinary-ability-or-achievement

He is generally required to submit the following:

"A written advisory opinion from a peer group (including labor organizations) or a person with expertise in the beneficiary’s area of ability. If the O-1 petition is for an individual with extraordinary achievement in motion picture or television, the consultation must come from an appropriate labor union and a management organization with expertise in the beneficiary’s area of ability.

If the petitioner can demonstrate that an appropriate peer group, including a labor organization, does not exist, then the decision will be based on the evidence of record."

"Evidence that the beneficiary has received a major, internationally-recognized award, such as a Nobel Prize, or evidence of at least (3) three of the following:

• Receipt of nationally or internationally recognized prizes or awards for excellence in the field of endeavor
  • Membership in associations in the field for which classification is sought which require outstanding achievements, as judged by recognized national or international experts in the field
  • Published material in professional or major trade publications, newspapers or other major media about the beneficiary and the beneficiary’s work in the field for which classification is sought
  • Original scientific, scholarly, or business-related contributions of major significance in the field
  • Authorship of scholarly articles in professional journals or other major media in the field for which classification is sought
  • A high salary or other remuneration for services as evidenced by contracts or other reliable evidence
  • Participation on a panel, or individually, as a judge of the work of others in the same or in a field of specialization allied to that field for which classification is sought
  • Employment in a critical or essential capacity for organizations and establishments that have a distinguished reputation".

Perhaps the OP has coached some Olympic athletes, has a Nobel prize lying around, or has published several sports science papers in peer-reviewed scientific journals, in which case he should absolutely apply. Otherwise, it's unlikely.

An O visa is for people of "extraordinary" ability. The word isn't used lightly.

Edited by Hypnos

AoS

77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview

Naturalisation

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Timeline

To put it another way: have you actually read the O visa guidelines?

Perhaps the OP has coached some Olympic athletes, has a Nobel prize lying around, or has published several sports science papers in peer-reviewed scientific journals, in which case he should absolutely apply. Otherwise, it's unlikely.

An O visa is for people of "extraordinary" ability. The word isn't used lightly.

Me? YES countless amount of times and talked to about 10 US immigration lawyers about the O1.

There is way more space for less valuable credentials, then the ones you mentioned. And the sponsor (the gym) can also compensate for weaker credits. I am not saying it is easy... let the OP put his credits on the table with a lawyer. and check on the job offer.

My main problem here was the negativity anyways... it just not good. Encourage people ALWAYS. Worst they loose the money BUT they loose way more if getting a false impression and not even trying.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.