jamesscaggs

is AOS a qualifying life event for insurance?

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Country:
Timeline

that is because once the aos is approved that is considered a life changing event which triggers the special enrollment window at which time you can get an aca health plan which will cover the pregnancy. if for some reason the child is born before the aos is approved that also triggers the special enrollment period so at least all doctors apointments after the birth will be covered.

the best outcome is that the aos is approved and the green card comes quickly so you can use the special enrollment window to get insurance and then have a healthy baby born.

food for thought say you get your green card approved at the interview but have the baby between the interview and getting the card do you get to retroactively get coverage to the day it was approved? also do you need the actual card or does the letter saying you were approved count. all good things to ask the insurers in your state or hr if your going through work.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If the AOS is approved do we have to wait to receive the actual green card or is the "event" of the approval enough to qualify for the open enrollment window?

When you say ask the insurers in your state do you just mean my insurance company?

I don't necessarily trust the insurance company to be honest about this or expect the agent to know the answer and am concerned they may be lazy and just give me a canned response.

What is the best way to verify the law rather than asking the provider?

Something is still not being understood here. The OP can obtain health insurance at this very moment, which fully covers them and any coverage relating to pregnancy. They will not be denied, it will not be 'short term' or even 'temporary' insurance. If the OP has an EAD this is a qualifying document and those with statuses in flux of ''adjustment to LPR'' with an NOA1 or in this OP's case an NOA2 will also most likely work. There is no need for the OP to wait for a green card. If that was the case, how is any immigrant obtaining insurance outside of open enrollment? Because they certainly are. In many cases the green card process may take up to a year. The law ensures the immigrant that has qualifying factors doesn't have to go without proper insurance or sub-standard insurance that is not recognized.

I have heard of many that are well outside open enrollment successfully signing up with a little legwork. It's those who have never filed for AOS and have no legal status for whatever reason that are unable to obtain.

James: Firstly, if you want to ponder the big questions speak with the federal exchange, you can also seek out a health navigator if you'd like a professional to sit down with. Texas does not have a state exchange to deal with or speak to. Your other options will be in speaking to your HR at work if you have insurance through work and seeing if they will provide coverage for your spouse. Yes, it would have been easier to have handled this very soon after marriage but give it a try. You could give any health insurer in your state a call. Certainly I understand that there will be persons who do misunderstand the meaning of the law, and in this case it is best to explore this with a supervisor.

If you want to sit down face to face for help, the feds can help with that too. https://localhelp.healthcare.gov/#intro Type in your town and pick someone that can help you out.

If you believe you need to wait until you receive your green card, well you can do that too. It's not needed, but you can do that. Showing your spouse on an insurance with you would be of benefit at the interview though, I'd imagine.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline

there needs to be a qualifying event such as the ones listed on healthcare.gov to enable the special enrollment.

https://www.healthcare.gov/screener/marketplace.html

here is a link on who qualfies to use the exchange. note that qualifying to use and opening a special enrollment period are different things. the ead will allow you to use the exchange it does not enable you to use it.

https://www.healthcare.gov/immigrants/immigration-status/

the reason any immigrant can get insurance is because moving to the usa is a trigger for a special enrollment period but you have to get the coverage within 60 days of moving here.

the hard truths are that there was an special enrollment period when they emigrated to the usa and if it was a k1 then there was another enrollment period when they married and they chose to ignore these. the next special enrollment window would be either getting the green card approved or having a baby.

Yuma can you please provide some supporting evidence to the theory that you can get insurance just by having you ead. that makes the open time frame and lack of status change acceptable for a special enrollment period.

James when you do reach out to the exchange people please let us know the results as well as the rationale behind it.

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

I can relate to this. I (coming from OUT OF STATUS TO AOS MARRIAGE) have applied last month for COVERED CALIFORNIA.

Ive got my EAD last MAY but since its passed 30 days (i forgot the allowed range), that seems the only reason the system did not approve my

application and suggested to come back for the open enrollment this coming NOV. The agent I talked to told us that my case was considered a

qualifying life event.

Thanks

Edited by tomigaoka

Filed: Timeline

Anyway just to add and be clear... when i applied im already passed 60 days when i got my EAD last MAY.

Also i will get my TEMPORARY GC this week, i will call and come back again immediately to see if covered california can now accept me.

If still they dont, im guessing they are not accepting applications right now and will for sure advise me again to come back this OCT for

NOV enrollment. Thats what they said i can already check this OCTOBER.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thank you very much. I've got high hopes that the green card approval will happen on our Sept 13th appointment. Do I have to wait until I receive an actual green card or is the letter of approval from the interview enough?

• 10 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline

Does anyone have any data points to add to this?

I understand that applying for AOS is a qualifying event, but is getting the green card also a qualifying event?

Spoiler

K1 Timeline:

7/18/2016 --> I-129F application sent

1/26/2017 --> K1 visa received

Adjustment of Status Timeline:

2/7/17 --> I-485, I-131, I-765 (AOS+AP+EAD) application sent

8/18/2017--> green card received in mail

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

5/14/2019 --> I-751 application sent

10/2/2020 --> 10-year green card received in mail

Naturalization Timeline:

7/28/2020--> Submitted N-400 application online

2/12/2021--> Biometrics re-use letter received

4/30/2021--> Interview scheduled for 6/8/2021

6/8/2021-->  Approved during interview

6/21/2021-->  oath ceremony - officially US citizen

K1: 7/18/2016 --> 1/26/2017

AOS: 2/7/17 --> 8/18/2017

ROC:  5/14/2019 --> 10/2/2020

Naturalization: 7/28/2020--> 6/21/2021

Timeline
1 hour ago, NYBEtt said:

Does anyone have any data points to add to this?

I understand that applying for AOS is a qualifying event, but is getting the green card also a qualifying event?

applying for aos is not a qualifying event. getting the green card is.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.