tt123

HELP! RFE for I485 about police clearance records

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Because of I did not pass fingerprint twice, I was required to provide " Police Clearance Records". This letter came after our AOS interview.

During AOS interview, the IO has already told me that I need to provide these documents, so I gave her the original police certificate from my home country at the interview. This police certificate I obtained for my K1 visa, the date was 4th August, 2015. My AOS interview was 9th August 2016. However, the IO took the police certificate, and told me I need to provide police certificate from my current place (in USA) too. She said " don't prepare anything until receive my letter".

I was not worried about it until several days ago, I received letter from USCIS. it says:

You must provide the following information in order for us to make a final decision on your case.

Submit certified original or certified copies of Police Clearance Records.

The Police Clearance Records must be from each place you lived (whether in the United States or outside the United States) for the last five(5) years.

Some U.S. states issue State Police clearance records instead of individual town records (such as Connecticut and Pennsylvania). We will accept the State Police clearance records from such U.S. states.

You must send the requested information by mail to the address below by November 7, 2016.

You must submit all of the requested evidence at one time. If you submit only part of the evidence, we will make a decision based on the evidence that you submit. We will not consider any evidence that is submitted after the due date. If you do not respond to this request by the date shown above , we will deny your case.

I have questions as follows.

1. Do I need to provide the police certificate from my home country again? I lived in my home country until March 2016 and then came to USA.

2. I lived in a third country from 2013 to 2015. In 2015, for applying K1 visa, US consulate in this country has required police certificate and sent US consulate in my country (where I applied K1) because the third country I lived in only provide police certificate for organization rather than individual. But apparently, I have this certificate in my K1 visa documents. I do not know what I should do now. Is it ok for me just write a letter to explain this situation.

3. I really feel like to call USCIS. However, I noticed that the address they provide in this letter is not Chicago. It is the office where I had my AOS interview. Should I just call USCIS, the number provided from website?

4. I definitely cannot provide the police certificate from the third country I lived. But in this letter, it seems like if I make any mistakes in response. My case will be denied. Is it really how USCIS works? Do I need a lawyer? My case was so good and smooth until this point.

Please help me and give me your advices. Thank you so much.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

If that was me I would personally get the 1 from my home country again cause you never know if they 'misplaced it' so it's better to send it just in case... As for the third country they should still have your k1 paperwork on file somewhere to pull it up if needed but they may not make that connection... It's always best to back track and get everything but cause it may not be so simple for the third country I would personally either 1 go to an info pass appointment and ask about the third country or I would get a lawyers input... Most lawyers will give you an hr consolation for around $60 some even will give you a free consultation... I don't think you need to hire the lawyer but a consultation could be worthwhile

Edited by Moslund

April 8th: AOS sent

April 11th: Recieved at Chicago lockbox [Day 0]

April 25th: NOA1 date (never recieved e-notifications) [Day 14]

April 29th: NOA1 hard copy recieved in the mail [Day 18]

May 9th: "Fingerprint fee recieved" [Day 28]

May 12th: Reciept number's start working on USCIS case status website [Day 31]

May 20th: Biometrics letter recieved [Day 39]

June 1st: Biometric appointment [Day 51]

​November 12th: Interview letter received ​[Day 216]

December 1st: Interview day! APPROVED [Day 235]

December 5th: Case status changed from "fingerprint fee received" to "Approved" post dated Dec 1st [Day 239]

Received approval letter in the mail for Green card [Day 239]

December 6th: "Card was mailed to me" [Day 240]

December 8th: Green card received in mail!!! [day 242]

Filed: Timeline

If that was me I would personally get the 1 from my home country again cause you never know if they 'misplaced it' so it's better to send it just in case... As for the third country they should still have your k1 paperwork on file somewhere to pull it up if needed but they may not make that connection... It's always best to back track and get everything but cause it may not be so simple for the third country I would personally either 1 go to an info pass appointment and ask about the third country or I would get a lawyers input... Most lawyers will give you an hr consolation for around $60 some even will give you a free consultation... I don't think you need to hire the lawyer but a consultation could be worthwhile

Hi, Thank you so much. Do you know what info pass is like? would I see a officer in person or it is only a general inquiry? Thanks

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hi, Thank you so much. Do you know what info pass is like? would I see a officer in person or it is only a general inquiry? Thanks

I have been to a info pass appointment before but it was a in general question... I think you can talk about more indepth stuff... Look up your local office they usually list what that office does... Some offices help with filing cases some offices are strictly there for biometric and interview purposes so what is available at each local office can slightly vary... If you want to directly talk to an immigration officer I would just call Uscis insist on being transferred to a teir 2 officer which in an immigration officer and ask all the question you have. Once you get transferred it can take a few hours to get a call back... Everytime I've called they say call back time is roughly 40-50mins and usually get a call back 3 hours later Edited by Moslund

April 8th: AOS sent

April 11th: Recieved at Chicago lockbox [Day 0]

April 25th: NOA1 date (never recieved e-notifications) [Day 14]

April 29th: NOA1 hard copy recieved in the mail [Day 18]

May 9th: "Fingerprint fee recieved" [Day 28]

May 12th: Reciept number's start working on USCIS case status website [Day 31]

May 20th: Biometrics letter recieved [Day 39]

June 1st: Biometric appointment [Day 51]

​November 12th: Interview letter received ​[Day 216]

December 1st: Interview day! APPROVED [Day 235]

December 5th: Case status changed from "fingerprint fee received" to "Approved" post dated Dec 1st [Day 239]

Received approval letter in the mail for Green card [Day 239]

December 6th: "Card was mailed to me" [Day 240]

December 8th: Green card received in mail!!! [day 242]

• 2 months later...

Hi tt123!

I noticed we have the same situation. How you handled it? Did you submitted both Police Clearances?(U.S. and your home country). Got my notice today and need to submit by Jan 15,2017.

So hopeless, its like never ending RFE since visa process.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.