Pearl1973

Holding off filing AOS from K-1 Fiance Visa question

52 posts in this topic

Thank you everyone for your comments thus far.

My husband and I actually dated in 1991-1993 whilst he was living in my former country - his dad was working in my country at the time. We were introduced by a female cousin of his whom I was in college with at the time. Anyway in 1993 we broke up (not sure why honestly) and went our separate ways. We reconnected last year August (via Facebook - he found me). He was one of those boyfriends I had always loved and had fond memories of - granted we were teens then (we were both born in 1973 and just a month apart). I mean when we reconnected I knew a lot of time had passed and people change but since he was a former boyfriend and I had a chance of meeting his parents and siblings I felt I could trust him besides we hit it off like we never broke up. So I went to visit him in December-January and we had a lovely time. met his family again though his mom had passed away and his dad was sick at the time of my visit. I thought all was well. During my visit I did not meet the 3 kids but I had spoken to them on the phone. My point is - I knew about the kids. I don't believe I got the real story of what exactly was going on between him and the kids' mom. We reconnected via Facebook - so why it is a big deal now? Its not so much that I want to be splattered all over his page, its just concerning when someone acts like they are not married or are not in a relationship with you and some of his family or friends are surprised to hear that you are married. You have to be in my situation to understand. Its embarrassing to me and it makes me feel like he is not proud of me, he is hiding something, he is having an affair or has unfinished business in his country or with someone, he is using me, etc. I even warned him that immigration may want to look at his social media accounts and that could be a hinderance to him getting a green card but he continues to be sneaky and blocking me, etc. He says to me that he does not know what he is doing wrong basically making me look like I'm crazy. It really has been tough. I have asked him to leave and he says he has no where to go yet he has friends here and relatives in different states. All this he is doing is turning me into a paranoid, untrusting spouse. Its so unfair.

So sorry for the long message...

My thoughts are that your husband is still religiously or ceremonially married to the mother of his children. But as it was not a western, european, or asian marriage, it is not on official books. That's why he was officially single to marry you. He has a very lengthy plan and you need a safe place to go or an enforcer to remove him from your home & file a restraining order for starters. He will get violent when he catches on to the fact that you want him gone & have no intention to AOS for him.

ROC Timeline!

Service Center : California Service Center

NOA2017-09-01

Biometrics : 2017-09-28

ROC Approved 2019-01-17

AOS Timeline!

Marriage : 2015-01-10

AOS/EAD/AP NOA : 2015-01-20

Biometrics : 2015-02-17

EAD/AP Approved : 2015-03-17

NPIW : 2015-06-11

AOS Approved : 2015-11-24

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-11

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-08-12

Consulate Received : 2014-09-15

Interview Date : 2014-11-13

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2014-11-15

US Entry : 2014-12-31

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

It's not your fault. No one is ever at fault for having a kind loving heart. It's the taker who is at fault...for taking advantage of you!

Maybe discuss purchasing him a ticket home? Not sure if this would anger him but it would solve the issue of nowhere to stay.

So sorry Pearl that you are going through this.

That's a sad and understandable story, Pearl. I am sorry you are going through this. He might have found that you lived in the states and got in touch, and of course you would trust him.

I have seen too many of these types of cases on VJ and he is doing so many things that make it seem that he has not really ended his relationship with his ex and that he plans to file for her once he gets his Greencard.

And let me reiterate, it's not your fault. Best wishes.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

You asked him to leave already and he said he has nowhere to go so I would get a quick divorce, change the locks, buy him a ticket home

and whether he returns home or stays here illegally is his problem.

It is not your fault, he is a user. He locked you out of the phone and facebook to play shady games so lock him out of the bedroom and house.

He can't have his cake and eat it too. His choices = his consequences.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I don't think he will quietly leave...Years ago my neigbor's son in Germany brought his wife to Germany and before she could settle in she started acting suspicious. He bought a plane ticket for both of them to visit him. He came and left her there. Boy was she shocked!..

You can try that with him.

Sorry for what you are going through. You did what you felt was right and you followed your heart. Sont take the blame for anything.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Two hijack posts and replies to them have been split from this thread, moved to the General Immigration Discussion forum, and given this topic title: "No Time Limit on Waiting to File for AOS? [split topic]."

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 2 weeks later...

No timeframe, but he won't be able to work or leave the US until he gets his greencard. And technically, he becomes out of status when his I-94 expires. It's forgiven if you file AOS, but it's possible he could be deported (slim chance, I wouldn't worry about that part of it).

Fix your relationship before you tie yourself into a marriage and I-864.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.