timeforeverything

Our experience DCF for Spouse in Guatemala

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Guatemala
Timeline

Yesterday we had our appointment at the US Embassy in GUATEMALA to file the I-130 and I just wanted to share my experience.

We had our photos taken outside the embassy, we always use Hermanos Sanchez Fotografia. Q55 for 3 passport size fotos.

We waited outside the embassy until about 15 mins before our appointment, then they started calling names. We went through security (if you have an American passport they will allow you to leave your keys/cell phone in the security so you don’t have to leave it in the car) and then went straight to the waiting area inside the embassy. We waited about 10mins and they started calling names. Luckily we were second on the list. The lady that attended us was nice enough, but you could tell she felt a little rushed. Didn’t ask us any questions, our paperwork and documents were well organized so that made it less complicated. She didn’t look at the cover letter, but it did stay with the application. The only original document that stayed with the application was the beneficiary’s birth cert and translation and our wedding cert and translation. All others were copies.

We were told we would be notified by email in about 2 months. No other information was given, and the only document we were given was the receipt of the payment of $420.

My best suggestion is to be very well organized and have all your paperwork in order. There were other people trying to file but just came with a big stack of disorganized paperwork and couldn’t even explain well what they were trying to do. ALSO make sure you have plenty of evidence of living in Guatemala for at least 6 months prior.

I will keep this thread updated whenever we get our response, and I would LOVE to hear other people’s experience with DCF in Guatemala!

08/17/2016 Applied in person by appointment I-130 at Guatemala Embassy (DCF)

08/30/2016 Notified by email of APPROVAL of I-130

09/12/2016 Notified by email we can begin DS-260

(We are dragging our feet getting all paperwork done, little by little, because we are not sure when we will actually leave for the US)

01/12/2017 Completed DS-260, had to notify embassy that it was complete

01/17/2017 Notified by email we could schedule Interview at the embassy

03/06/2017 Medical Exam Completed in 1 long day

03/09/2017 Interview completed at Guatemala Embassy, Approved!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Guatemala
Timeline

*UPDATE*

We received an email yesterday stating that we were APPROVED for the I-130 for my husband! Very fast response, about 2 weeks. When we applied the embassy told us 2 months, so we are very happy! The email also stated we should be receiving further instructions in the next 3 weeks, and if we don't, gave us the email to contact.

08/17/2016 Applied in person by appointment I-130 at Guatemala Embassy (DCF)

08/30/2016 Notified by email of APPROVAL of I-130

09/12/2016 Notified by email we can begin DS-260

(We are dragging our feet getting all paperwork done, little by little, because we are not sure when we will actually leave for the US)

01/12/2017 Completed DS-260, had to notify embassy that it was complete

01/17/2017 Notified by email we could schedule Interview at the embassy

03/06/2017 Medical Exam Completed in 1 long day

03/09/2017 Interview completed at Guatemala Embassy, Approved!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.