kwiz

Health insurance for parents

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I have read too many topics discussing this but i haven't found a clear answer, maybe i missed something and someone can help out.

Long story short, i'm bringing both of my parents to the states and I want to make sure that getting them health coverage will not cost an arm and a leg.

1. They are 65+ but i know they won't be eligible for medicare because green card holders are not eligible for it.

2. They won't have any income.

3. They will be living in my house.

I have read that they can get health coverage through healthcare.gov and be eligible for premium tax credits but it's a grey area because some people said that they can only get the premium tax credit if I don't claim them as dependents when filing taxes and others has said that it's not true, whether i do claim them as dependents or not, it wouldn't matter and they would not be eligible for the premium tax credit since i CAN claim them as dependents.

Can anyone give me more info?

Will they be able to get health coverage for maybe around $100-200/month per person? or is it going to be $400+/month per person?

Thanks,

~~moved to moving here and your new life from bringing family members of USC to the USA. Topic is not about immigration but is about health care after arrival~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

You can get more info at healthcare.gov There is links for advocates that help you fill out your papers locally. You have to realize every state is different. I understand we are talking about Obamacare but in each state its operated slightly differently. It depends if they are on the marketplace, their specific rules for immigrants and poverty levels/medicaid eligibility.

Some people have been able to get their parents coverage. Others have not. Again check with marketplace

It really depends on a lot of things. Which state are you in?

I know someone whose mother was not eligible for a PTC. She is paying $500 a month for her. It sucks but sometimes you just have to pay it.

Try contacting a few insurance companies or seek her on the marketplace.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If you claim them as your dependents on taxes you are saying you are using your income for them and that income will come into play when calculating their eligibility ( which may make them ineligible for the credit) but a rate of 500 per month per person is probably what you are looking at and that number will go up as they age.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

What if i don't claim them as dependents? I'm confused about the line that i highlighted in red below, it's from irs.gov regarding the premium tax credit. I know i can claim them as dependents but what if i don't and they just file separately as a married couple, will they be eligible?

5. Who is eligible for the premium tax credit?

You are eligible for the premium tax credit if you meet all of the following requirements:

• Have household income that falls within a certain range (see question 7).
  • Do not file a Married Filing Separately tax return ((unless you qualify for a special rule that allows certain victims of domestic abuse and spousal abandonment to claim the premium tax credit using the Married Filing Separately filing status (see questions 9 and 10));
  • Cannot be claimed as a dependent by another person; and
  • In the same month, you, or a family member:
      • Enroll in coverage (excluding “catastrophic” coverage) through a Marketplace
      • Are not able to get affordable coverage through an eligible employer-sponsored plan that provides minimum value (see questions 11 and 12)
      • Are not eligible for coverage through a government program, like Medicaid, Medicare, CHIP or TRICARE
      • Pay the share of premiums not covered by advance credit payments

Hi I would wait to they get here cuz first they need to get a SS CARD and every state has their own way of doing business with you but please get an advocate to help with this process cuz it's very tricky

The line in red is if your parents are filing taxes and apply for PTC then you can't claim them on your taxes nor anyone else.

You parents weren't LPRs nor working here in 2015 so i don't think it applies to them now. So they may not be elible for PTC now.

You should investigate more with tax professionals. If it is a matterof it being too expensive then research as much as possible. Sticky shock and healthcare go hand and hand in the US.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

<p>What if i don't claim them as dependents? I'm confused about the line that i highlighted in red below, it's from irs.gov regarding the premium tax credit. I know i can claim them as dependents but what if i don't and they just file separately as a married couple, will they be eligible? 5. Who is eligible for the premium tax credit?You are eligible for the premium tax credit if you meet all of the following requirements:

• Have household income that falls within a certain range (see question 7).
  • Do not file a Married Filing Separately tax return ((unless you qualify for a special rule that allows certain victims of domestic abuse and spousal abandonment to claim the premium tax credit using the Married Filing Separately filing status (see questions 9 and 10));
  • Cannot be claimed as a dependent by another person; and
  • In the same month, you, or a family member:
  • Enroll in coverage (excluding catastrophic coverage) through a Marketplace
  • Are not able to get affordable coverage through an eligible employer-sponsored plan that provides minimum value (see questions 11 and 12)
  • Are not eligible for coverage through a government program, like Medicaid, Medicare, CHIP or TRICARE
  • Pay the share of premiums not covered by advance credit payments

Doesn't matter if you actually claim them or not -- as it says, you are only eligible if you cannot be claimed as a dependent, it doesn't say that you actually have to be claimed. It's written this way precisely to avoid what you suggest doing -- not claiming a dependent so they can get a benefit they might not qualify for as yur dependent.

You're unlikely to get a clear answer until you specify what state you reside in and/or your parents are actually in the US and you are filling out actual information for them.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

With the generous amount of time they are allowed in the US that is probably correct. Why should tax payers subsidize older people wanting to live here. Either they can afford it or they can't.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Insurance is a crazy topics, they wanted for my mother $750 a month that's $9000 a year, so i decided to not get her insurance, and yes i do claim her on my taxes, she does not work. I do take her to doctor twice a year for check up, and they give her medicaid discount because she not working so far i paid each year for her medical and medication around $560 a year. and on taxes there is no penalties because the insurance is not affordable and she is not eligible for medicaid.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks, i was actually thinking of checking with a tax expert. I'm in AZ but i wanted to know this advance, because if it's going to be $500+/month per person, then that's ridiculous and they would be better off staying in canada where healthcare is free.

Sadly, I think this is the correct answer. I can't conceive of a situation where 65 year old residents who don't qualify for Medicare get insurance at your wished for rate of $200/month. There are advantages to living in Canada and this is one of them.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Insurance is a crazy topics, they wanted for my mother $750 a month that's $9000 a year, so i decided to not get her insurance, and yes i do claim her on my taxes, she does not work. I do take her to doctor twice a year for check up, and they give her medicaid discount because she not working so far i paid each year for her medical and medication around $560 a year. and on taxes there is no penalties because the insurance is not affordable and she is not eligible for medicaid.

Good info. thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.