LostSwede

F-1 Visa, but then?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi!

I have some immigration questions regarding my (probably not so unique) situation. Some back story here :

So at the moment I'm living in northern Europe, Sweden to be more exact. I've been together with my american girlfriend (who is born and raised there) for almost two years and I travel there several times a year, close to a week out of every month and she's been over to Sweden a few times to meet my family and friends as well.

We done the whole long distance relationship for so long now and it's so boring flying back and forth all the time. Also I'm getting sick of my job and want to go back to school. We are in no rush to be married even tho we are talking about it.

So the plan is for me to apply for a F-1 visa and attend a school in her city for two years, I'm looking into a associate degree. I almost have all the money that is required but I'm going to use my parents to sponsor me for the last bit.

My question here is, if I get accepted to the school of my choice I understand it that I need to visit the embassy for a visa interview. Now, do I mention my SO or does this raise any reg flags? To be honest my intentions of coming here is to attend school and live with my SO before we tie the knot and apply for the right visa when I'm done with school.

Or should I not mention her at all seeing I have a sponsor and all the finances to survive by my own. If I would go this route how would we explain during the marriage interview (I've heard that's a thing, to see it's not a GC wedding) that we been together for over two years, I attend school in her city (without mention it to the embassy) and then getting married. I know I'm future tripping here but I want to be prepared.

I hope I'm not breaking any rules here, I'm not trying to cheat my way into the country but I feel that the "getting married just to make the whole attending school"-thing is the wrong way to go.

Thanks for reading!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The student visa to live with the girlfriend is not exactly unknown.

And going for the cheapest option will likely raise eyebrows.

Best to assume the Consulate have seen it all before.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You don;t have to mention her unless you are asked about it- just don't lie if they do ask; often, they do.

However, you definitely WILL be asked why that degree, why not at home, and why in that school, so explaining about the girlfriend is probably a good idea.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi!

I have some immigration questions regarding my (probably not so unique) situation. Some back story here :

So at the moment I'm living in northern Europe, Sweden to be more exact. I've been together with my american girlfriend (who is born and raised there) for almost two years and I travel there several times a year, close to a week out of every month and she's been over to Sweden a few times to meet my family and friends as well.

We done the whole long distance relationship for so long now and it's so boring flying back and forth all the time. Also I'm getting sick of my job and want to go back to school. We are in no rush to be married even tho we are talking about it.

So the plan is for me to apply for a F-1 visa and attend a school in her city for two years, I'm looking into a associate degree. I almost have all the money that is required but I'm going to use my parents to sponsor me for the last bit.

My question here is, if I get accepted to the school of my choice I understand it that I need to visit the embassy for a visa interview. Now, do I mention my SO or does this raise any reg flags? To be honest my intentions of coming here is to attend school and live with my SO before we tie the knot and apply for the right visa when I'm done with school.

Or should I not mention her at all seeing I have a sponsor and all the finances to survive by my own. If I would go this route how would we explain during the marriage interview (I've heard that's a thing, to see it's not a GC wedding) that we been together for over two years, I attend school in her city (without mention it to the embassy) and then getting married. I know I'm future tripping here but I want to be prepared.

I hope I'm not breaking any rules here, I'm not trying to cheat my way into the country but I feel that the "getting married just to make the whole attending school"-thing is the wrong way to go.

Thanks for reading!

Truth is always the best policy. I met my now husband during my 2nd year as an Au Pair, I decided to go with a student visa for one year to see how things where going in our relationship and I moved in with him. I was honest at the embassy and told them I was going to live with my boyfriend. They asked if we were planning on getting married and I said we're not planning anything. After my year as a student was up I went back to Sweden and we applied for the K1 fiance visa.

Don't volunteer information they are not asking for but be honest.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.