lostinblue

Pastor at Muhammad Ali funeral: Star-Spangled Banner 'celebrates slavery'

50 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

So for clarification purposes - I gave her just as an example.

I've thought and expressed(maybe not here) the same thought even before Ali's death - when we had others, like Bowie, Prince and other celebrities that died this year. They get so much coverage when so many others die daily, some less famous and some not famous at all. Changing the channel is not the point - the point is - who the hell cares anyway to begin with???? I don't see the difference between any of them, I don't think one was more important than the other, and I think it's just another ridiculous manifestation of everything that's wrong with the world these days. So personally it doesn't offend me, but it's still within my right to say I think it's another manifestation of the stupidity going around.

BTW val, it was a whole day before the nightclub not hours.

09/14/2012: Sent I-130
10/04/2012: NOA1 Received
12/11/2012: NOA2 Received
12/18/2012: NVC Received Case
01/08/2013: Received Case Number/IIN; DS-3032/I-864 Bill
01/08/2013: DS-3032 Sent
01/18/2013: DS-3032 Accepted; Received IV Bill
01/23/2013: Paid I-864 Bill; Paid IV Bill
02/05/2013: IV Package Sent
02/18/2013: AOS Package Sent
03/22/2013: Case complete
05/06/2013: Interview Scheduled

06/05/2013: Visa issued!

06/28/2013: VISA RECEIVED

07/09/2013: POE - EWR. Went super fast and easy. 5 minutes of waiting and then just a signature and finger print.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

05/06/2016: One month late - overnighted form N-400.

06/01/2016: Original Biometrics appointment, had to reschedule due to being away.

07/01/2016: Biometrics Completed.

08/17/2016: Interview scheduled & approved.

09/16/2016: Scheduled oath ceremony.

09/16/2016: THE END - 4 year long process all done!

So for clarification purposes - I gave her just as an example.

I've thought and expressed(maybe not here) the same thought even before Ali's death - when we had others, like Bowie, Prince and other celebrities that died this year. They get so much coverage when so many others die daily, some less famous and some not famous at all. Changing the channel is not the point - the point is - who the hell cares anyway to begin with???? I don't see the difference between any of them, I don't think one was more important than the other, and I think it's just another ridiculous manifestation of everything that's wrong with the world these days. So personally it doesn't offend me, but it's still within my right to say I think it's another manifestation of the stupidity going around.

BTW val, it was a whole day before the nightclub not hours.

still don't understand your outrage. people aren't mourning the correct deaths and this is 'another manifestation of the stupidity going around' when you started referencing hypocrisy without explaining what you deem hypocritical? makes no sense really.

i don't even know why it matters, but she died saturday. that's when the story hit the media nationally. i read the story saturday afternoon. the orlando shooting took place hours later, 2am sunday.

Timeline

I have nothing to add to Kill's eloquence on the topic. If you read her rebuttal and you don't get it, you are not going to. I don't pretend to understand all of the notable cultural hero's of modern Israel, but if I lived there I would listen and study and shut my mouth until I got it. To do anything less would be rude of me.

I guess I'll just keep being "rude" then. Works for me.

07/09/2013: POE - EWR. Went super fast and easy. 5 minutes of waiting and then just a signature and finger print.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

06/01/2016: Original Biometrics appointment, had to reschedule due to being away.

Timeline

Ali was a man who -- whether you agreed with his politics, religion, or estimation of himself -- had a large cultural impact on our society, well outside the realm of sport. He was in the public eye for over 50 years. As a kid growing up, I was well aware of who he was, and what he stood for. He was a complex, infuriating, difficult but brilliant person. The young woman who was murdered was at the cusp of her life, and had had no chance to make a large mark on our world. I admit I had never heard of her. Both of these passings are tragic, for different reasons.

I get where you are coming from. I have been an immigrant too, and ignorant of the cultural resonance of particular personalities, customs and passions that were patent to those who were raised there. But when I was perplexed, I'd think: those are their things, not mine. This is my chance to learn.

We are a nation that is more than capable of weeping and moaning and gnashing its teeth. We do public mourning well. You should have seen when Reagan died. I was visiting on holiday for a wedding when he passed and I thought Jesus, John Wayne, Gandhi and Jefferson had passed at the same time. I didn't like the man at all, and yet I understood the outpouring of emotion. It wasn't mine to share, but that doesn't make it invalid.

This is a moment that is not yours to share, and that's okay. You don't agree with marking the deaths of public figures in ways that differ from those of private citizens. That's okay too. But as a nation, indeed as humans, we have a history of public grieving at the passing of remarkable people, whether they're on the side of the angels or not.

While I don't agree, I respect your opinion. I have long thought that treating certain people as if they are above others is wrong. Let alone(and I'm not talking about Ali in this case) celebrities who have done it to themselves(via drug use etc)...why are they more important than the less known celebrities or the average person? I'm not saying presidents should not have a public funeral, or former presidents...nor do I consider myself ignorant on those issues. Most people I know would tell you I know as much about it as any American if not more, so being from a different country has absolutely nothing to do with my opinion on this.

still don't understand your outrage. people aren't mourning the correct deaths and this is 'another manifestation of the stupidity going around' when you started referencing hypocrisy without explaining what you deem hypocritical? makes no sense really.

i don't even know why it matters, but she died saturday. that's when the story hit the media nationally. i read the story saturday afternoon. the orlando shooting took place hours later, 2am sunday.

Just more bread and circuses val...sand in the eyes...it's ok we don't have to agree.

Just more bread and circuses val...sand in the eyes...it's ok we don't have to agree.

you questioned earlier that your point was 'who the hell cares to begin with'

i don't care about agreeing i'm just trying to understand your beef.

Timeline

you questioned earlier that your point was 'who the hell cares to begin with'

i don't care about agreeing i'm just trying to understand your beef.

It's not a beef, merely an opinion, and a (subjective) observation.

I thought a muslim had to be buried within 24 hours? Was Ali a special kind of muslim ?

guess you don't know as much about muslims as you thought. bummer.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Just asking. You don't have to get nasty.

Buried as Soon as Possible

In theory, a deceased Muslim should be buried as soon as possible. Many believers try to have the burial take place within 24 hours of the person's passing. During this time, the body will never be left unattended. Muslims must make sure that certain pre-burial rituals are completed before the burial occurs, so it is not always feasible to bury the deceased immediately. The time frame is not set in stone, but the sooner the burial happens, the better.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

In theory, a deceased Muslim should be buried as soon as possible. Many believers try to have the burial take place within 24 hours of the person's passing. During this time, the body will never be left unattended. Muslims must make sure that certain pre-burial rituals are completed before the burial occurs, so it is not always feasible to bury the deceased immediately. The time frame is not set in stone, but the sooner the burial happens, the better.

In theory pigeons should be shot. What do I know?

get nasty? aw, i didn't realize you were a special snowflake. i'll take that into consideration next time i answer one of your questions.