Cleida

Visa denied in South Africa -Johannesburg

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
This is Crazy :(

I am selected for the dv 2017 and i still didn't submitted the ds-260 form yet. I think i did fill the same information

like u did. I lived in Ethiopia for almost 22 years but i was born in Eritrea. I did selected Ethiopia (where i live )

as country of eligibility. In that case the consular will say that i sould have selected Eritrea (where i was born) as

country of eligibility not ethiopia ( where i live).

Is there anything I can about it?

I am selected for the dv 2017 and i still didn't submitted the ds-260 form yet. I think i did fill the same information

like u did. I lived in Ethiopia for almost 22 years but i was born in Eritrea. I did selected Ethiopia (where i live )

as country of eligibility. In that case the consular will say that i sould have selected Eritrea (where i was born) as

Chargeability is the first thing addressed in the DV instructions. It is the section explaining clearly how to choose what country you base your eligibility on.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Were you born after 1993? Eritrea was not a legally separate country till then. Anyway there is no advantage (in fact a disadvantage !!) choosing Ethiopia over Eritrea so hopefully you will be ok.

Chargeability is the first thing addressed in the DV instructions. It is the section explaining clearly how to choose what country you base your eligibility on.

Wouldn't let me edit to add: don't waste your time trying to figure out the technicalities of what section they denied you under. They often use a catch-all.

I was born before 1993... i was born in 1987. We just moved in when i was 5 or 6. Now i have an Ethiopian Nationality. That's why i choose Ethiopia as a country of eligibility.

It really makes me sad each year seeing people choosing the wrong country because they didn't read the instructions, which are very clear about using the country you are born in. Anyway if they bring it up at interview you can use the argument that Eritrea was not a separate legal country from Ethiopia in 1987. Or you can use the FAM notes as you could not have been at an advantage using Ethiopia. Hopefully you'll be ok.

Edited by SusieQQQ

• 3 months later...
Filed: Other Country: South Africa
Timeline

We were denied the visa on the 07 june 2016. Because of ERROR ON COUNTRY OF CHARGEBILITY. They called us on the 26 September 2016 to tell us that Finally they have approved our visa application. The next day we went at the consular and drop our passport and tell them that we have a baby of one month. The baby have a birth certificat ( we give it to them ) but doesn't have the passport. Now the status of the visa applicatons for me and my wife show: ISSUED.

Is it possible to get the visa for the baby without passport? If not, what to do? Because our medical will expire in one month and I won't be able to get the passport for him in this short of time. Thank you!

We were denied the visa on the 07 june 2016. Because of ERROR ON COUNTRY OF CHARGEBILITY. They called us on the 26 September 2016 to tell us that Finally they have approved our visa application. The next day we went at the consular and drop our passport and tell them that we have a baby of one month. The baby have a birth certificat ( we give it to them ) but doesn't have the passport. Now the status of the visa applicatons for me and my wife show: ISSUED.

Is it possible to get the visa for the baby without passport? If not, what to do? Because our medical will expire in one month and I won't be able to get the passport for him in this short of time. Thank you!

You can't get a DV derivative visa for the baby now as Dv2016 is over. You normally don't need a visa for a baby that is born after the visas are issued, I don't know exactly what the case will be for you as the baby was born before the visas are issued. You need to call the consulate and ask them what to do. I don't know if you can still bring the baby in visa free when you activate, you need to ask them. It is possible they will tell you you need to activate your own green cards then apply for the baby as a child of LPR. But: You need to get a passport for the baby ASAP, the baby can't travel without it.

A passport is required for a visa.

Unfortunately, you are in a bad situation. You and your spouse may need to travel to the US to activate your LPR status. One of you will need to file for a Re-Entry Permit and go back to stay with the child for 2 years while the other parent files an I-130 for the child.

Timeline

You can't get a DV derivative visa for the baby now as Dv2016 is over. You normally don't need a visa for a baby that is born after the visas are issued, I don't know exactly what the case will be for you as the baby was born before the visas are issued. You need to call the consulate and ask them what to do. I don't know if you can still bring the baby in visa free when you activate, you need to ask them. It is possible they will tell you you need to activate your own green cards then apply for the baby as a child of LPR. But: You need to get a passport for the baby ASAP, the baby can't travel without it.

Timeline

Timeline

Hi. Thank you very much sussie and jojo for your help and concern. Me and my wife got our passports with Us visa yesterday. But the baby didn't . We went back to the consular. they say it's late to issue the visa for the baby because 2016 it's closed. The ask us to log IN www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/humanitarian-parole. There we have to fill up some form I-131, explain our problem and ask if they can issue the visa for the baby. But we have only one month left before our medical and visa expire. So I think humanitarian parole it's a long process. We decide to leave the baby and south Africa before the 25th of this month and declare the baby there in USA. But we are just worried about the process and the time that can take us to come and fetch the baby. I need your help on that. Thank you again!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.