sjandsj

Should I follow 2 year anniversary of residency or card expiration date

21 posts in this topic

EM_Vandaveer posted the best strategy in my opinion.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

I would also file 90 days before your 2 year anniversary of becoming a Permanent Resident. I'd ignore the date of expiration in the card itself. I'm pretty sure that the worst they do if you file too early is reject it without even cashing your check. But if you file too late, there's a chance that they'll deny and you'll have to appeal which would be highly stressful.

K-1 from Haiti - NOA1: 5/27/2014; NOA2: 7/8 USCIS never updated to say that it was sent to the NVC (just in case you're as concerned about your status not updating as I was about mine)
NVC Case Number Received: 7/31; Left NVC: 8/1 - tracked via DHL website; CEAC Status - Ready: 8/7; Packet 3 Received: 9/5 - Beneficiary received packet / Medical Completed: 9/19;
DS-160 Submitted: 9/22 - (CEAC date updated); Packet 3 Submitted: 9/26; Packet 4 Received: 10/24; Interview Date: 11/6 @ 7 am Interview Result: Approved!
CEAC Status Issued: 11/10; USTraveldocs.com finally acknowledged Fiance's passport actually in their system: 11/20; Passport Received: 11/21;

POE: 11/23/2014; Wedding: 2/14/2015

AOS/EAD/AP Filed: 2/21/2015;

USCIS EAD & AP received: 2/25; USCIS AOS received: 2/27; Received NOA1s in mail: 3/5; Biometrics: 3/26; EAD/AP Card in Production: 5/11; EAD/AP Card Mailed: 5/1; EAD/AP Card Received 5/19; NPIW Letter dated: 6/11/15; Green card Approved: 10/1/15;

Green card Received: 10/7/15

Hello everyone,

I entered the US in Oct, 2014 and had got my GC with an expiration date of Oct, 2016. But, there was a name error in my GC and I had to send it back to USCIS for correction. It took about 10 months after that for me to get the new Green Card with my name written correctly. The expiration date on the new card now became August, 2017. That makes it almost 3 years of residency.

Now, to apply for removing conditions, should I follow the expiration date on my corrected Green card (August 2017) or the actual 2 year anniversary of my residency (October 2016)?

Keen to know your thoughts.

Thank you.

This was posted as experience on another thread. It appears to be similar situation as yours. I suggest: Oct2014+ 24-months - 90days = File ROC

USCIS rule is that you must remove conditions before the end of your 2 yr residency ends, but not more than 90 days before. Usually the expiry date on your green card is exactly 2 years after the residency starts. In my husband's case they had the expire date wrong the 1st time. After we sent it back in to have it corrected they sent it back with another wrong date. The I-751 says to remove conditions no more than 90 days prior to expiration, but they are assuming USCIS put the right date on the card to begin with so this is not always correct. The law is that removal of conditions is based on the date you became an LPR, NOT necessarily the expiration date. We were told we can file up to 90 days before the date he became an LPR and to ignore the expire date. We were also told to to write a statement explaining why we were filing....

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I also agree with Harpa and Em_Vandaveer's suggestions to go by the original card's expiry date. However it's your immigration at stake in the end and we're all stating what we think is right. Your best bet is to make an appointment at your local USCIS field office and discuss this directly with an immigration officer. The customer service on the phone are usually not immigration officers and are known to provide erroneous information so I wouldn't rely on them for something so crucial.

This was posted as experience on another thread. It appears to be similar situation as yours. I suggest: Oct2014+ 24-months - 90days = File ROC

USCIS rule is that you must remove conditions before the end of your 2 yr residency ends, but not more than 90 days before. Usually the expiry date on your green card is exactly 2 years after the residency starts. In my husband's case they had the expire date wrong the 1st time. After we sent it back in to have it corrected they sent it back with another wrong date. The I-751 says to remove conditions no more than 90 days prior to expiration, but they are assuming USCIS put the right date on the card to begin with so this is not always correct. The law is that removal of conditions is based on the date you became an LPR, NOT necessarily the expiration date. We were told we can file up to 90 days before the date he became an LPR and to ignore the expire date. We were also told to to write a statement explaining why we were filing....

I would also file 90 days before your 2 year anniversary of becoming a Permanent Resident. I'd ignore the date of expiration in the card itself. I'm pretty sure that the worst they do if you file too early is reject it without even cashing your check. But if you file too late, there's a chance that they'll deny and you'll have to appeal which would be highly stressful.

EM_Vandaveer posted the best strategy in my opinion.

I would NOT listen to the misinformation line. I'd file according to the original date, attach a letter of explanation. If they send it back, saying you are filing too early, no harm done.

On the other hand, if you file according to the later date & they realize the mistake they may issue an RFE for explanation of late filing. You do have a reason, but I would not risk it.

Thank you everyone for your inputs. I truly appreciate it. I see that the suggestion to consider my 2 year anniversary of residency (as per the original GC) for ROC is quite unanimous. I have time in late July for my 90 day phase to begin and if I can manage to get an infopass appointment with the local USCIS office before that, I will go and talk to an immigration officer. I will in the meanwhile get the paperwork ready to file for ROC as per the date in my original GC. Thanks once again for all your responses!

2013 -07-20 - Marriage

USCIS
2013-08-01 - Sent i-130
2013-08-06 - NOA1
2014-01-22 - Transferred to CSC
2014-05-02 - NOA2

NVC
2014-02-18 - NVC received
2014-03-21 - NVC case number assigned
2014-03-24 - DS-261 Online Completed

2014-03-25 - I-864 (AOS) Bill Generated and Paid

2014-03-27 - I-864 (AOS) Bill Shows Paid

2014-03-27 - DS-261 Accepted
2014-04-01 - I-864 (AOS) Package Sent

2014-04-01 - DS-260 Available and Completed online

2014-03-02 - I-864 (AOS) Package Recieved
2014-04-02 - IV Bill invoiced and Paid
2014-04-09 - IV Packet Sent

2014-04-11 - IV Packet Received

2014-04-30 - Case Completed at NVC

2014-06-17 - Interview - (Had to postpone for additional Sputum Culture medical test)

2014- 09-29 - Rescheduled INTERVIEW

2014-10-24 - Port of Entry

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

i agree! it is 2 years since you were a LPR!! not when the expiraiton on your GC is.. USCIS makes mistakes as they have people that are not familiar with what is going on re-issue cards... but it says 'remove conditions within 2 years of becoming a LPR" they know when you became one (it will be in their system) so i really dont think this woul be an issue as well.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'd endorse your current strategy. If for some reason you were to decide to wait until the incorrect expiration date listed on the card, I would make sure you have it in writing from USCIS that this is the correct procedure. You don't want to rely on facts given over the phone if there is a problem later.

I-130

May 14, 2016: Sent I-130 Package to Chicago Lockbox

Oct 21, 2016: NOA2 Notice by App (LIN)

NVC

Nov 8, 2016: NVC Received

Nov 16, 2016: Case Number Assigned

Nov 18, 2016: DS-261 submitted and AOS fee paid

Dec 5, 2016: NVC Scan Date

Dec 6, 2016: NVC 3 N/A and Case Complete on Phone [1 day later!]

Dec 13, 2016: NVC CC e-mail

Jan 23, 2017: Interview...Approved!

Removing Conditions

Nov 2, 2018: Sent I-751 to Arizona Lockbox 

March 3, 2020: Approved by CSC

N-400

Feb 2, 2020: File N-400 online

Feb 25, 2020: Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.