Ragazza

CR-1 and 2 Year HRR

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello everyone! I would appreciate your comments on the following situation.

I was a fulbright scholar and, thus, am subject to 2 year home residency requirement. I have about 4 months left to fulfill the 2 year requirement and I have no problems with that and do plan to fulfill my obligation.

At the same time, my husband is a USC who filed a petition for me, we were previously informed that the process of obtaining CR-1 visa can be initiated before 2 year rule is fulfilled. The only restriction is that the immigrant visa cannot be issued before 2 year rule is fulfilled.

We are currently at a stage of completing DS-260 form. This form has a question - "Are you a former exchange visitor (J) who has not yet fulfilled the two-year foreign residence requirement?"

Frankly speaking - yes, I am, cause I have 4 months more to go. If I answer "yes", then it gives me an option to explain. What is your opinion - if I answer "yes", and then explain that I will fulfill my 2 year home residency requirement by the end of September - will it be good enough?

Or do you think they could deny my visa based on my "yes" answer, and not even bother to look into my explanations? Should we just wait a bit more?

I would appreciate your opinion on the questions above, especially, advice from those who faced similar situation.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Just answer the form honestly as it pertains to you now; your case will not be adversely affected.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belize
Timeline

Be truthful no matter what it will not be a problem. Good luck

(L) (L) (F) (F) Some peoples journey to love is harder than others, but when they reach their destination its definitely, definitely worth preserving. (F) (F) (L) (L)

event.png

blk-event.png

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi. I'm in the same situation. I was also subject to the 2 YR HRR and had to return home. In my experience there is very little information about this rule and how to prove the fullfilment. My lawyer indicated that the 2 years must be completed by the time of the interview at the Consulate. I initiated the Consular process 13 months before the 2 years were done. He said if we received an early interview date, we could reschedule the interview and it would be 60 days later. He also submitted my DS260 before my completion of the 2 years, but was possibly 1-1.5 months early. At this point we are waiting for the interview date. My suggestion is you attend the interview at the Consulate after you've completed the 2 years. This way you should be able to receive your visa. Best of luck to you!! ... Not sure about other people's experience. I would be happy to hear other stories.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I am subjected to 2 year rule and I initiated the process last november. I answered "yes" that I was subjected and had not yet fulfilled it ( when filling up the DS-260 question about the fulfilment of the requirement). I was honest about it the whole time and had emailed the NVC asking them to schedule my interview to be after 28th of July 2016. Apparently this information was not passed along to my home country consulate and they gave me an earlier date. I emailed them to reschedule and I got the date of July 29th, which I'm super happy about. I am bringing proof of all days spent in my home country. I technically moved back in June 2014 but because of travelling had to add more days ( I added a total of 48 days including all trips during this period, even vacation related ones). You can message me to see how it goes in the interview. I hope I get approved. Good luck to you all!

Hi. I'm in the same situation. I was also subject to the 2 YR HRR and had to return home. In my experience there is very little information about this rule and how to prove the fullfilment. My lawyer indicated that the 2 years must be completed by the time of the interview at the Consulate. I initiated the Consular process 13 months before the 2 years were done. He said if we received an early interview date, we could reschedule the interview and it would be 60 days later. He also submitted my DS260 before my completion of the 2 years, but was possibly 1-1.5 months early. At this point we are waiting for the interview date. My suggestion is you attend the interview at the Consulate after you've completed the 2 years. This way you should be able to receive your visa. Best of luck to you!! ... Not sure about other people's experience. I would be happy to hear other stories.

I was a fulbright scholar and, thus, am subject to 2 year home residency requirement. I have about 4 months left to fulfill the 2 year requirement and I have no problems with that and do plan to fulfill my obligation.

At the same time, my husband is a USC who filed a petition for me, we were previously informed that the process of obtaining CR-1 visa can be initiated before 2 year rule is fulfilled. The only restriction is that the immigrant visa cannot be issued before 2 year rule is fulfilled.

We are currently at a stage of completing DS-260 form. This form has a question - "Are you a former exchange visitor (J) who has not yet fulfilled the two-year foreign residence requirement?"

Frankly speaking - yes, I am, cause I have 4 months more to go. If I answer "yes", then it gives me an option to explain. What is your opinion - if I answer "yes", and then explain that I will fulfill my 2 year home residency requirement by the end of September - will it be good enough?

Or do you think they could deny my visa based on my "yes" answer, and not even bother to look into my explanations? Should we just wait a bit more?

I would appreciate your opinion on the questions above, especially, advice from those who faced similar situation.

• 2 years later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline
51 minutes ago, Carla Pas said:

I'm in the same situation. So did you guys answer YES to that question and that was not an issue at the NVC stage?? Thank you so much in advance!!!

I was under J1 too. I didn't fulfill yet  my 2 years requirement and I'm waiting for an interview date (Already approved by NVC). On the DS 260 there is a place for explanation when you mark " haven't finished the 2 years " : I put I will make it by the time of the interview.  If my interview came sooner I will postpone it. It's simple. No reason to worry about it. You can submit your DS-260 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 hours ago, IF-Mclean said:

I was under J1 too. I didn't fulfill yet  my 2 years requirement and I'm waiting for an interview date (Already approved by NVC). On the DS 260 there is a place for explanation when you mark " haven't finished the 2 years " : I put I will make it by the time of the interview.  If my interview came sooner I will postpone it. It's simple. No reason to worry about it. You can submit your DS-260 

Thank you! So in the explanation area, you didn't specify when exactly the two years will be done. You just stated that the two years will be completed by the interview day. Is that it?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline
5 hours ago, Carla Pas said:

Thank you! So in the explanation area, you didn't specify when exactly the two years will be done. You just stated that the two years will be completed by the interview day. Is that it?

Yes that's it.

In your IV package you have to include your DS 2019 and/or the copy of your J1 visa.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
On 6/7/2016 at 5:02 PM, Ragazza said:

Your visa cannot be issued until your " months more to go" has passed.  So, I would suggest waiting a month or so before finalizing the DS260 and all other documents with NVC, so that there is no delay in issuing the visa, once you have your actual interview.  Worst case is the visa is issued AFTER the 4 months has passed, but that COULD be later than if you delay on your own.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.