needhelp400

Visa-Marriage-Divorce-and now?!

28 posts in this topic

It's not impossible, but you're going to have a tougher battle on your hands than last time. If I were you I'd spend as much time visiting each other before even contemplating applying. It's also very soon after your divorce, I'd let the dust settle a little first!

AOS

09/02/2015 - Enter United States @ Raleigh Durham International Airport, NC under VWP

14/02/2015 - Fly to San Francisco, CA

09/05/2015 - I-94 Expires

22/05/2015 - Civil Surgeon Medical Examination

28/05/2015 - Received Sealed Envelope

04/07/2015 - Married in Vegas

14/08/2015 - Sent I-130, I-485, I-765 & I-131 to Chicago Lockbox

21/08/2015 - Emails/Texts of Acceptance for I-130, I-485, I-765 & I-131

24/08/2015 - I-130 & I-485 Cheques Cashed

27/08/2015 - Paper NOA1 Received

14/09/2015 - Biometrics Letter Received

23/09/2015 - Biometrics Complete

17/10/2015 - EAD/AP Card Produced

21/10/2015 - EAD/AP Card Mailed

24/10/2015 - EAD/AP Card Delivered

31/10/2015 - Received SSN

06/02/2016 - Interview Notice Delivered by Post

09/03/2016 - Interview

09/03/2016 - Approved at Interview + Card Ordered

14/03/2016 - Green Card Mailed

16/03/2016 - Green Card Received

ROC

05/02/2018 - Sent I-751 to California Service Centre

07/02/2018 - I-751 Received

09/02/2018 - Extension Letter Arrived in Post

12/05/2018 - Biometrics Reused Letter

18/08/2018 - 18 Months Extension Letter

19/04/2019 - 1-751 Approved + Card Produced

Naturalisation

09/12/2018 - Sent N-400 Application Online

14/12/2018 - Received Paper NOA1

02/01/2019 - Biometrics Scheduled

06/02/2019 - Biometrics Rescheduled

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

It's not impossible, but you're going to have a tougher battle on your hands than last time. If I were you I'd spend as much time visiting each other before even contemplating applying. It's also very soon after your divorce, I'd let the dust settle a little first!

I beg to differ. She might have an easier time if her previous marriage was genuine and ended properly. She did not try to stay in the US to hang on to the green card. So if her new relationship is genuine, I don't think she has any problem getting the visa. Go for it OP.

Filed: Timeline

That's the thing if i were visa shopping i would've stayed there the first time. Instead I abandoned it. Not because of any other reason but the fact that if i didnt have my husband i didnt want to be there. I left everything to settle with him not for the green card. he plans to comevisit me sometime soon and he has the same religion and he is a pakistani too. And once uve been hurt its very difficult to just fall in love blindly and follow your emotions at one point u have to consider the logistics too. I wouldnt want to be in a marriage where we r miserable and cant be together. Or he has to shift for me and in the end starts resenting me. Hope you understand what i mean.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Bringing Family Members of US Citizens to America forum to What Visa Do I Need - Family Based Immigration forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belize
Timeline

Ok this all just happened August 2015 that's less than a year ago. OP was married so she should have a conditional green card. Isn't a conditional green card valid for 2 years. Check and see if your green card is still valid. You may have an opportunity to remove the conditions on your own. I totally understand your ex-husband is no longer in your life, however if it doesn't work out with a petitioner they have no right to send you back. You have a choice to leave or to continue your life in the US as a PM. You made a choice to leave. You may still have your green card. Find that out first then move from there. Good Luck.

It is sad that people leave everything behind and petitioners especially husband's as petitioners feel like they have the right to send someone back to their home country. YOU DON"T. know your rights and do some research.

(L) (L) (F) (F) Some peoples journey to love is harder than others, but when they reach their destination its definitely, definitely worth preserving. (F) (F) (L) (L)

event.png

blk-event.png

That's the thing if i were visa shopping i would've stayed there the first time. Instead I abandoned it. Not because of any other reason but the fact that if i didnt have my husband i didnt want to be there. I left everything to settle with him not for the green card. he plans to comevisit me sometime soon and he has the same religion and he is a pakistani too. And once uve been hurt its very difficult to just fall in love blindly and follow your emotions at one point u have to consider the logistics too. I wouldnt want to be in a marriage where we r miserable and cant be together. Or he has to shift for me and in the end starts resenting me. Hope you understand what i mean.

NOW you look better i think if you guys are same religion culture that helps i belive vs someone totally different making a red flag arrise your just trying to get outta there.

Also helps you didnt stay but you had the right to stay dont let anyone push you around you are not furniture...at least i think No offense :thumbs:

Next question :huh2: are you divorced from first husband??

Ok this all just happened August 2015 that's less than a year ago. OP was married so she should have a conditional green card. Isn't a conditional green card valid for 2 years. Check and see if your green card is still valid. You may have an opportunity to remove the conditions on your own. I totally understand your ex-husband is no longer in your life, however if it doesn't work out with a petitioner they have no right to send you back. You have a choice to leave or to continue your life in the US as a PM. You made a choice to leave. You may still have your green card. Find that out first then move from there. Good Luck.

It is sad that people leave everything behind and petitioners especially husband's as petitioners feel like they have the right to send someone back to their home country. YOU DON"T. know your rights and do some research.

If this is true that would be a better route :) but i belive her religion (if im assuming right) you cant date like we do so at least she can come here freely and marry Edited by Anitafeliz

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't think that the OP has her GC (green card) and even if she did and it is valid, she is in Pakistan from what I gather and would have to prove her ties to the USA once she comes back to the USA as it has been 8 months. If not there is a good possibility CBP would revoke her GC for abandonment and even if she did prove ties she would need to prove why it was so urgent to go back to Pakistan. Once they find out that she has divorced again they may revoke the GC. There is a very slim chance she may get back in.

N400 - Naturalization                                                                                                        U.S. Passport

Aug 05, 2018 (Day 1): Applied for Naturalization online                                                  Oct 01, 2019 (Day 1): Sent US Passport Application

Aug 06, 2018 (Day 2): Check Cashed, NOA1 received online                                         Oct 08, 2019 (Day 8 ) : Passport trackable 

Aug 11, 2018 (Day 6): Recvd notification that Biometrics appointment scheduled       Oct 17, 2019 (Day 17) : Received Passport

Aug 13, 2018 (Day 8): Received biometrics appt letter online                                        Oct 21, 2019 (Day 21) : Received Naturalization Cert. back

Aug 28, 2018 (Day 23): Biometrics Appt

May 06, 2019 (Day 274): In Line For Interview

Jun 11, 2019 (Day 311): Interview Date

July 01, 2019 (Day 327) : Oath Ceremony I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

FROM K-1 PETITION SENT TO OATH CEREMONY WAS ABOUT 7 YEARS 4 MONTHS

After 8 years of marriage divorced October 4, 2021

TO SEE MY FULL TIMELINE GO HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/125109-cdnon-usavt/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

NOW you look better i think if you guys are same religion culture that helps i belive vs someone totally different making a red flag arrise your just trying to get outta there.

Also helps you didnt stay but you had the right to stay dont let anyone push you around you are not furniture...at least i think No offense :thumbs:

Next question :huh2: are you divorced from first husband??

If this is true that would be a better route :) but i belive her religion (if im assuming right) you cant date like we do so at least she can come here freely and marry

Anitafeliz, you're placing way too much emphasis on the religious aspect of things. My husband and I are different religions and cultures and I was asked about this in my K1 interview but it (in no way) affected our eligibility for the visa or any subsequent immigration proceedings.

Anitafeliz, you're placing way too much emphasis on the religious aspect of things. My husband and I are different religions and cultures and I was asked about this in my K1 interview but it (in no way) affected our eligibility for the visa or any subsequent immigration proceedings.

The reason why is, she already came here once....

Now shes gonna try again with someone else HUGE red flag

Had this been her first try its tricky in a country with high regard for culture and religion to prove a bonifide relationship between a christian and a muslim. I am not talking false either.

Moving forward she has a divorce strike 1 she is from a mena country strike 2 and now shes with someone else???

No my friend i belive in her case being pakistani and muslim will be of GREAT Benefit to her case which is red flag

I for one could careless of religion race or political background im raised im the USA my best friend is from

haiti im dominican that right there says it all!!

She has larger hurdles at least culture and religion wont be in play.

No saying an american cant bring a pakistanian person here but lets face it on a first try it would be looked at never mind second time

Just my opinion

Edited by Anitafeliz

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I beg to differ. She might have an easier time if her previous marriage was genuine and ended properly. She did not try to stay in the US to hang on to the green card. So if her new relationship is genuine, I don't think she has any problem getting the visa. Go for it OP.

This comment echoes a comment I heard from an immigration lawyer I consulted. If the applicant has entered the US previously on a visa, and then returned to their home country before it expired, that can be a mark in their favor when applying for a subsequent visa. Not sure if this is true, but it was told to me by an experienced immigration attorney.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Leave everything behind? OP herself said that she didn't see any reason herself to stay in the U.S. I admit I too was sorta taken aback by the "he sent me home" comment, but she clearly says "I did not want to stay since I had no reason to stay anymore." Seems as if her decision to leave was of her own volition.

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

Filed: Timeline

Nice I'm facing a lot of scrutiny over here too :) You all are right when you say there will be a lot of red flags. however you need to be in my shoes to assess the situation which probably the people granting the visa wont be. when you are alone and the country is new and have an emotional set back you arent really thinking about keeping your green card or making the best use of the situation. Neither did i honestly take it as an opportunity. i came for my husband and he wanted me out that's that. neither did i have any family or friends other than him.

anyway, yes the divorce is done with.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.